Green pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
burdy

Green pool

Post by burdy »

Our current guests have complained recently that the pool went green and discoloured even though the pool man had only been the day before.
We are not at our villa (in Murcia Spain) but the pool man tells me tha tthere is nothing that can be done as this is down to "adverse weather conditions" i.e. extreme heat.

Would extra hot weather turn a pool green within 24 hours.

I know nothing about pools, but wonder if anyone knows any better

Thanks
BURDY
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

My somewhat limited experience with pools tells me that your pool will use up free chlorine very quickly when it's very hot, so a pool is more likely to turn green if this is not accounted for. I don't think it's unheard of for a pool to turn green in 24 hours due to lack of chlorine.

I have heard of things like severe rainstorms causing pools to turn green the next day, and I think it's hard to prevent that, but I would not have thought that simple heat would be enough to make any qualified pool man throw his hands up and say "oh well, nothing I can do!"

As long as it's just the heat/lack of chlorine and there's nothing else wrong with the pool's chemical balance, I would think you'd be able to shock the pool to kill the algae, then check it every day and add chlorine as necessary to keep the levels within the proper range.

However, there are people here who know far more about this than I do, so they will no doubt come along and correct all the errors I've made and give you better advice! :)

P.S. - I'm assuming you have a standard chlorine pool and not something more advanced like a saltwater pool... I don't know much about those.
Brooke
la vache!

Re: Green pool

Post by la vache! »

burdy wrote: Would extra hot weather turn a pool green within 24 hours.
Brooke is right, yes it can, much more cholorine is used up in hot weather, and storms can affect the chemical balance too. But your 'pool man' is wrong if he says that nothing can be done about it - he should check the chlorine ph balance and add chemicals accordingly to clear the problem. Any pool man worth his pay should know how to deal with a green pool.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

It has been extremely hot here in Spain this week - a late heatwave, but it is no excuse for not fixing a green pool.
They can turn green overnight in this heat but you can get them clear again in the same time by shock treating.

This is one of the first things pool companies teach over here - my son worked for one for 3 years here.
Think you might consider changing companies, Burdy ? It is not really fair to the guests when it can be easily remedied.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I manage several pools in busy rental properties and whilst it has been very hot not one has turned green. I clean twice a week and provided the chemical balance is properly maintained there should not be a problem. I err on the side of caution and have slightly higher chlorine levels as free chlorine is getting soaked up very quickly. I echo what everyone else has said, your pool guy should be able to clear the pool within 24 hours. Lots of info on the web if he's not sure how to do it.
Last edited by Marks on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

fincafern wrote:It has been extremely hot here in Spain this week - a late heatwave, but it is no excuse for not fixing a green pool.
They can turn green overnight in this heat but you can get them clear again in the same time by shock treating.

This is one of the first things pool companies teach over here - my son worked for one for 3 years here.
Think you might consider changing companies, Burdy ? It is not really fair to the guests when it can be easily remedied.
Fully endorse that. We have had the same conditions, if not worse, and both our pools are fine. Unfortunately there are a number of people calling themselves 'pool men' who don't have the faintest idea how to look after them properly. It isn't rocket science - the OH does ours and it didn't take him long to learn everything he needed to know.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
burdy

Post by burdy »

Thanks guys
I feel better now just having discussed it

BURDY
Vera

Post by Vera »

I find the dip strips useful. These measure 5 different parameters including "Free Chlorine" the important active element and "Cyanuric Acid" which reduces the rate at which the sun "burns off" the chlorine.
The 5 in 1 slow release tablets contain Cyanuric acid but you can buy it in good pool shops if it needs topping up.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I find the dip strips useful. These measure 5 different parameters ...
Does anybody use the expensive electronic gadgets designed to check pool chemistry? And, if so, are they worth the outlay? Or only for pool professionals? I've always used the dripper bottles but, this year, dip strips have appeared on the shelves and I'm now using those. But, they're not as sophisticated as Vera's - only check chlorine/ph/hardness.

Jim
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I bought my husband one for Xmas a couple of years ago when they were still pretty expensive, somewhere in three figures, can't remember. He loves gadgets. He loves fiddling with the pool, so I thought it'd be great for him. He hardly ever uses it, doesn't like it, says it's too fiddly :cry: A complete waste of money in this household :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've got them, they were sent as a free gift by an online pool company who messed up an order I made. I don't like them and prefer using the tablets to test pH and chlorine. I'm glad I didn't pay for them.
Vera

Post by Vera »

la vache! wrote:I've got them, they were sent as a free gift by an online pool company who messed up an order I made. I don't like them and prefer using the tablets to test pH and chlorine. I'm glad I didn't pay for them.
I can't see what's not to like, they are so simple, probably a bit more expensive ? they cost 10 euros for 50 strips locally and give you more information. I have the dropper system and as I have loads of the solution use both at the moment.
http://tinyurl.com/2ukljqw
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Does anybody use the expensive electronic gadgets designed to check pool chemistry
Vera, my impression was that they were talking about the above - or perhaps not - who knows :lol:

Bobby
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Well, yes, that's indeed what I thought I was talking about :wink:
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

We have the electronic gadget. Very simple to use and we've found it well worth the money.

My student son has been managing three pools for us this season and they've all been fine. If he can do it then an experienced pool man should have no difficulty in keeping a pool clear.