2 weeks in Aug 2011 Thursday-Thurdsday (good or not?)

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Tizfata

2 weeks in Aug 2011 Thursday-Thurdsday (good or not?)

Post by Tizfata »

Just got an enquiry for August 2011, from the 4th to the 18th!
Very happy, until I saw that both dates are on a Thursday.
Should I say:
1) Yes, thanks!
2) Sorry we only do Saturday-Saturday?
The 1st option could not be a problem for the cleaning (one of the reason I set the 2weeks rule is because of the problems some of my cleaning staff have in working weekends!) but, what about the other guests? Would it be a problem for them (= would it be a problem for me to fill the gaps?)?
Because of its size, the apartment is very good, I rent it 18 weeks per year (I know some of you will think 18 weeks is no good, but to me it is).
This is my 1st "serious looking" 2weeks enquiry for 2011 and I am nervous... :roll:
Any advice is truly appreciated, thank you!
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I know I'm not in the same position as you being UK based but we do midweek to midweek bookings and I've booked most of this summer to people who want to arrive on Wednesday rather than at the weekend. I think that's due to the clientele we attract, older couples, who don't like to travel at the weekends.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Tizzy :)

I think a lot of this depends on what you think, because of course you know your market better than us..Are you likely to get other bookings to fit round these dates?
What are available flights like for that time of the year could that make a difference?
If you would prefer Sat-Sat, why dont you say to them the 6th-20th is available I usually take Sat-Sat bookings in the summer months, is that a problem?

Personally I only take Sat-Sat bookings May-September, as I find that works well for me, but I know a lot of others are more flexable and it works for them, horses for courses and all that.

Take care xx Ros.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Thanks for writing, BD!
When I started I was with an agency, so July and August were only Sat-Sat.
This year I started having one of the 2bedroom apartments with free starting dates, and it did better than the apartment next door (Sat-Sat).
For 2011 I am thinking:
The groundfloor 2bedroom apartments minimun 2 weeks Sat-Sat July & August and leave the other 2 "free" (min. 1 week, later I hope to fill the gaps).
Oh, if a certain site, supposed to work with Ryanair, would start to deliver bookingS (I can still talk singular here...)!!!

pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Hi Tizzy
I think it depends a lot who your main market are. We find the French and Spanish (and to an extent Italians) expect summer bookings to begin and end on a weekend. I am sure that UK guests are much less rigid and appreciate midweek because flights are often cheaper. If your main source is UK then it probably will not end up being a problem, otherwise it might.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Big Sis.. wrote:Are you likely to get other bookings to fit round these dates?
Oh, Ros, if only I could tell! Groups (this very apartment sleeps 8 ) tend to book early... This June I had a booking Sat-Sun and the following 6 days were like invisible! I NEVER got an enquiry for them... :cry:
Big Sis.. wrote:Are you likely to get other bookings to fit round these dates? What are available flights like for that time of the year could that make a difference?

Thanks to St. Google, I found where they live, where they will be (likely) flying from and how much they have spent booking those flights!
I am thinking of giving it a go... But now I am tired and tomorrow I have to say goodbye to the current guests, then I will take my doggie to a training lesson, then welcom my dear friend's family for some time by the pool. The day looks very promising... I will sleep on this...
PP, a little more than 25% of my guests is from the UK. But, at the beginnig of August I still have a lot of French and Dutch, Brits tend to arrive later...
Last edited by Tizfata on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well I know its difficult...... but what I wouldnt do is leave yourself 6 days to fill, as youve just mentioned....seven is a lot easier.........
My houses are booked by groups as well though, and I know they tend to book earlier. But remember its very early days, and the peak weeks shouldnt be to much of a problem to book.

Good luck in whatever you decide!!

Take Care, Ros
declanja

Post by declanja »

I think horses for courses is the best reply. We take all bookings over 5 days in summer and four in off season or three if it suits! We generally find we get to fill up. This year we were stuck with a six night gap in early August but were inundated with enquires fot it in the preceding week. We are in Nice with a 1 bed city centre apartment so it works for us.
Declan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Don't take it. Far to early to compromise for 2011. I've turned down lots of bookings which don't suit, I know I'll sell August 2011 Saturday - Saturday even if I have to wait until July 2011 to do so. And you will too.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

After 8 years of renting I finally know my market and I agree with La Vache and Ros! Far to early to compromise. Because I was nervous for the first few years I took what I could, any day, but now my market is mainly the French, for peak season, and only Sat -Sat will do! Had an enquiry today for 12 days in July starting on a Sat, can accommodate but they would need to pay for 2 weeks, don't think they will get back but it's not a problem now as I know I can fill it
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes, I agree too.If you want Sat to Sat then stick to your guns. Far too soon to compromise. I too have turned away bookings for next August- one had a "small, well behaved dog"- no thank you, we don't take pets, another had 2 extra small children, hmmm..find a larger place then !

ps- not extra small children, but 2 ,extra, small children :lol: :wink:
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Despite this being my first year I am going to put my tuppence in. I imagined when I started all this that all bookings would be saturday to saturday - as it turned out none were! That said I have only had one night vacant - and that was rather nice as it gave us 24 hours to do the change over!

So, my guess is that if you don't want to kiss it goodbye, it'll probably work out fine anyway. For your guests it will mean that their travel options are less expensive. That said, even I could have sold the first fortnight in August 10 times, and I am sure that LV & Ros are right really!
Marks

Post by Marks »

If I stuck to Sat - Sat bookings I would not get vey far. Given the numerous daily flights to Alicante from all over Europe I get enquiries for all days of the week and not just 7 or 14 nights. This year just 30% of my bookings have arrived on a Saturday and half of those left on another day of the week. Sunday arrivals are second favourite followed by Friday. I've had arrivals on all other days except Thursday. Shortest stay 3 nights, longest stay 45 nights with only a day or two between bookings which gives me time for any maintenance or replacements that might need doing. This month I have a one day gap on the 18th when 4 new ceiling fans will be fitted and both bedrooms painted which would be impossible to do on Sat/Sat changeovers.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

All great comments :) and thats the beauty of this Forum isnt it ??

There isnt one right answer...

but it does help when seeing others views :) to come to a decision that suits you.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes, right on Big Sis. Also depends where you are. I think places dependant on flights are less likely to be Sat to Sat, altho this year we've had a mix of both people flying and those on a ferry. No right or wrong. Horses for courses, yer pays yer money etc :wink: