UK Holidaymakers look for "green" accommodation...

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

casasantoestevo wrote:Greenbarn I have a 2 small questions;
If you chose to enter this scheme it would mean you would have to have some sort of inspection and later controls to see if your property is in keeping with the scheme. My question is the property already inspected for any other listing/scheme? And if so would complying with these schemes conflict with another.

I ask because, I know this is not a green issue, we was asked to enter into a scheme for a local wine route. However that would mean we would have to conform to their rules and some of them seem to be in conflict with something else we have to be subscribed to.
The scheme is a UK one, and it's run by, or certainly in conjunction with, Visit England. AFAIK you need to be a VE member to be assessed for the green scheme, but maybe not. Unlike some of the add-ons for VE, such as "Walkers Welcome", "Cyclists Welcome" (as if they wouldn't be?) which you can pay for as extras during the VE rating inspection, I'm not sure whether the green assessment is done by the VE inspectors or not. Certainly VE inspectors are keen to know that you have recycling facilities etc, but I honestly can't remember if that is actually taken into account in your accommodation Star rating.

There's a link here to the scheme, and another link to the quality assessment arm of Visit England. (I said it was hard to find the information!) BTW - as an aside, don't you just love the fact that at the top of the VE page it says they can send you a large print copy if you have visual impairment, in a very small typeface :roll:
You might be able to find some useful information there - good luck!

I'd struggle to think of a scheme which would have rules that conflicted with a green scheme, but crazier things happen.

What I particularly dislike about all the schemes run by VE is that they're add-ons which give the distinct impression that they have come up with yet another way to make money out of me, and their marketing of the schemes to the public (ie my potential customers) is minimal. But what really annoys me is their accessibility scheme, which could be a valuable source of information to people whose choice of accommodation is severely restricted by disabilities, but for which I would again have to pay. Grrrr :evil:

Note to self - don't creep your own thread :lol: