how2vacation.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
A-two

how2vacation.com

Post by A-two »

I'm fairly brutal when approached on the phone by a cold call from a new listing site and this one was no exception. However, I did listen for a few minutes because it sounds like quite a unique angle - along the lines of an Orbitz or Travelocity, offering a one stop travel agency which has vacation rentals section alongside package holidays, hotels, resorts, flight checker etc. Very different from the usual vacation rental listing site, also offering links through to owner websites, which is a bonus. Anyone know anything about it, or know of anything similar?

She told me they started in January and are part of a larger "how2" group of websites. No free trials, but 13 months for the price of 12. Rates range from $300-$500 per year, but she mumbled something about offering it to me for a discount because they were keen to promote our area, although wouldn't say whether that included the full package of 18 photos and a featured listing.

When I told her that I didn't know anybody who would spend $300 on a new site that had no track record, she replied that they were doing some serious TV advertising and are number one on Google for the key words "vacation rental". I spluttered and she mysteriously hung up on me. Can't imagine why. Aside from the usual cynicism, I'm just wondering whether these people are onto something. It does appear to take vacation rentals into a league that I have not seen anywhere else.

What do you think? www.how2vacation.com
Waves from America
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

The only rental they offer in France which isn't a package deal has a tel no. which doesn't make any sense to me (it might be a valid US number...). No way, then, of checking performance with another owner. I wouldn't bite.
Best,
Alexia.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

If you haven't already have a look this.

http://info.alexa.com/data/details?amzn ... ation.com/
Cheers
PC
A-two

Post by A-two »

Alexia,
That's a US phone number on the French site? I did a bit more digging and it looks like they are going for very high end properties around here. Check out the historic Red Moon Ranch in The Hamptons on Long Island, NY, USA - whoa! - you'll need a six figure sum to get the keys for that next summer! I don't get this site actually - most of the UK properties seem to be package deals through travel agencies, not direct owners.
Last edited by A-two on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waves from America
paolo

Post by paolo »

They won't be able to do this with individuals as it is an automated system. That would make them reliant on owners either keeping their availability 100% up to date, or giving this site exclusivity on reservations. Working with agencies is much easier - centralised availability, and the rentals themselves will have been inspected by the agency.

Incidentally today on Google, the site is not number one for the phrase 'vacation rentals', it is more like number 230.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

Paolo,
She told me they are not handling reservations, that they refer inquiries to owners directly, the same as any other listing site. I don't think the vacation rentals section is automated.

I can't speak for worldwide, but the New York section incorporates what appear to be genuine listings with owner names, websites, phone numbers.

This site is coming out of Miami, FL, and they are part of what appears to be a reputable US Travel Association.

I like the idea of being part of a listing site where folks can also check out flight availability instantly (like Orbitz). It's value added.
Waves from America
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Paul,
I was going to ask you if these ratings can be "fixed" - they seem too good to be true.
Then I googled.
If you google for the GEO (Andrew Rothberg) you find a site with the following review - which might, of course, be totally undeserved:
"I worked at this company for a few days. They are a TOTAL rip off!!!!!. Otto Bethlen and Andrew Rothberg are FRAUDS. Their web site is FAKE. The Alexa Ratings they created are FAKE.

They created this web site to rip off anyone who wants to Post rentals of anything. I see they have conned many property owners."
These people should be in PRISON. STAY AWAY !!

Lynn
Miami Beach, Florida
U.S.A."

Strong stuff - but on its own, I wouldn't let it influence me. However, without being able to check the site out with other owners I wouldn't touch it.
Last edited by alexia s. on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best,
Alexia.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

ps Joanna,
Have you telephoned a sample of NY owners?
Best,
Alexia.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I think most online reviews can be fixed. One of the biggest, Trip Adviser is open to abuse, this is why I am not a fan of testimonial's.

Let's face its not hard to set up a free email account and review your own villa. Or slag off a competitor for that matter.
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

alexia s. wrote:I was going to ask you if these ratings can be "fixed" - they seem too good to be true.
If you mean the Alexa rating, showing the 'popularity' of your site, yes that can be fixed. That is a measure of how many visits a site gets from people with the Alexa toolbar on their computer, compared to all other sites.

The number of people who have the Alexa toolbar is relatively small, so if you make sure you, your employees, friends, family and dog all have the Alexa toolbar, and all access your site every day, you will get an artificially high rating. The only thing you can't fake with Alexa is the unpopularity of a site.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

alexia s. wrote:" Otto Bethlen and Andrew Rothberg are .....
Alexia,
Well spotted. A google on Otto Bethlen reveals an identikit company group called Ez2, which is in development with squillions of investors dollars and shares on the floor at 1 cent each. Now it all smells iffy, although I still think it's a good idea.
Waves from America
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

For all those out there who have personal web site's and who are sensitive about personal details. The Alexa tool bar displays your Phone/Fax home/work address and email address, you can edit this out. But I guess if don't know/use the tool bar you would not know your personal stuff is on display to the world and his dog.
Cheers
PC