CGI

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
canda

CGI

Post by canda »

Hi

Please could somebody explain the difference between mailto and CGI form handlers. Is CGI necessary and if so does anyone know if wanadoo.fr has a form mail script (and what it is called in French!)? I am trying to write all my own html code as Frontpage seems a bit restrictive in what it will allow. Learning something new every day!

Canda :?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Canda,

The mailto: code in an A tag will generally get the job done, but not always. I, for example, don't have a default e-mail client that my browser knows about, so if I click on a mailto: link, nothing happens. Plus, if I click on a mailto: link from another person's computer, who knows what e-mail will be in the "from" line when it gets to you?

Also, when using a mailto: link, I don't know how to specify anything but the subject, in terms of customizing. That doesn't mean it's not possible; just that I don't know how.

Lastly, mailto: generally leaves your e-mail address out there on the web for all types of e-mail harvesting spiders to see, unless you insert some coding to prevent it.

CGI form mail doesn't depend on the user's computer at all, so someone could e-mail you from any computer, even one without any mail client at all, and the e-mail address they specify is the one that will show up as the reply-to address. It is also highly customizable -- you can include all manner of hidden items in the e-mail that you will see but the user won't. Some form mail scripts also hide the e-mail addresses from spiders (some don't, and require the same work-arounds as mailto:).

Overall, CGI is not necessary unless you want to use a form. But it is generally pretty convenient. I would imagine that the Wanadoo help pages would have information on a formmail script, if they have one installed. I don't use Wanadoo regularly, so I can't help you there.

Cheers!
Brooke
canda

Post by canda »

vrooje

Thanks for your help. Another question from a novice: If a host states "Full support for Perl scripting" does this mean it will provide what I need to get replies safely? Have tried to plough my way through the Wanadoo info but can't find anything about form mail scripts.

Canda :?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Canda,

If your host does support full perl scripting, then you should be able to download and use formmail.pl (available for free from various places, I would google it for you and provide a link, but I'm short on time this morning). It's very easy to customize for your own use, and while using it I've never had inexplicable mail problems.

I'm not sure if that was your question, but I think so?
Brooke