Hello and Website Review

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Winifred Harewood

Hello and Website Review

Post by Winifred Harewood »

I am new to this forum. I am still trying to navigate this site. It would be nice to have my website reviewed by your group.
www.escapetobarbados.com

Winifred
Escape to Blue Bayou
CSE

Post by CSE »

Hi Winifred and welcome to LMH

At first glance the website come across as more of a blog then anything else. The two main items that reinforce this are the entries on the right and the RSS button on the top. Going back to the entries it seems that either you was testing it out or something, as the entries do not make much sense/connection with your property.
In front of a lot of postings you have “Translate” This did not mean much to me until I clicked on it, maybe you could ad something like “click here to translate”?
The buttons over the blog are half hidden.
When you click on the photos and they open up in a smaller screen the description and other words merge so that I cannot read them.
On the contact us maybe add the international dialling code?
A lot of your photos have the alt text missing or they are not so well described for search engines to find you.
I also feel you may have a lot of CCS errors.
This is the report from the first page.
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/vali ... dos.com%2F
This is the error report for the HTML on the same page.
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... dos.com%2F
The feeds seem to do a lot better but there 2 suggestions for improvement.
http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi? ... dos.com%2F
I can only find two meta tags. There should be a lot more.
Content-Type text/html; charset=UTF-8
Generator WordPress 2.9.2
for example here is no robots.txt or sitemap file.Neither is there a description tag.
If you want Google to find you much better you should change all of the above errors.

I feel this is a huge and luxurious villa, but that does not come across in this website. But how you explain this I do not have a clue, as I have not been to the island!:oops:

I hope others will also post their views.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Hi Winifred

I can´t find any pictures of your property(apart from the main one) which I´d want to see before I´d consider booking.
CSE

Post by CSE »

lorca wrote:Hi Winifred

I can´t find any pictures of your property(apart from the main one) which I´d want to see before I´d consider booking.
Click the bit in the black bar at the top "Photo Gallery"
http://www.escapetobarbados.com/photo-g ... our-villa/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Winifred and welome to LMH. Gorgeous property!

Just a well-meant request however, which might bring you more feedback on your site in the long run:
paolo wrote: If you put your site up for review by other rental owners, please remember that you are kindly requested to take the time to look at a couple of other sites in the Website Review section. It doesn't have to be anything in-depth or technical, just a gut reaction will do. Gut reactions are good - they tell us whether our sites are putting across the right messages.
viewtopic.php?t=437
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
lorca

Post by lorca »

casasantoestevo wrote:
lorca wrote:Hi Winifred

Click the bit in the black bar at the top "Photo Gallery"
http://www.escapetobarbados.com/photo-g ... our-villa/
Oh yes, sorry :oops:
baylor

Post by baylor »

I would tend to tone down the social networking buttons--they're great for blogs but maybe a bit overkill on these sites. And they take up a lot of screen real estate too, making it look more clunky. I would say the same about the search button too, really not necessary on a site of a few pages. What might they search for really, that's not on your menu/links bar?

I'm also confused about the two menu bars, as I don't know why to click one versus another, or in which of them to look for what I want to find. Why is transportation on the top (black bar), for instance, and sports on the bottom (blue) one?

Again, sorry about this, I harp on real estate but the archives bar seems needless here. More suitable for a blog, but since you're not really blogging it's not appropriate. Can you take it out of the template or is it stuck there?

I hope the feedback is useful! Looks like a lovely place. I've never been to Barbados but maybe one day. :-)
-b