Tweaking the tariff/new website

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
davhill

Tweaking the tariff/new website

Post by davhill »

Evenin' All

Just taking a break from trimming our prices. No, not coalition cuts, it's just that the availability calendar's looking far too white for my liking.

Speaking of the availability calendar, this is now on our new web site, which is at www.valleyviewkendal.co.uk

I found that although Google sites let me have a site at the right price (FOC), the system's stripping out most of the HTML code was proving a major pain.

Right, back to work :?
Property owner in Burneside, Kendal, Cumbria
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Glad it's not just me then! My Google site has been a wonderful tool to get me up and running and taking my own bookings quickly BUT I get so frustrated with its limitations.

I am just building up to getting another website up and running with wordpress, so hope that will eventually be the answer.

Availability same for me as well, didn't have any winter bookings until a couple of weeks ago. Have now booked 6 short breaks which makes me fell a whole lot better, but only after a little promotional discounting!

Just had a quick peek at your site - have you thought about promoting short breaks? Most people won't want a week through the colder months, so although you say a minimum of two nights, you don't appear to price it? My experience seems to be spell out the price and promote some last minute deals - maybe a section of your site could have some deals somewhere?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Hi David

I noticed you list DVD titles on your site, for guests to hire. You might like to have a read of this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=9559

Although we have a DVD player in our apartment, we've decided not to supply DVDs due to this discussion. Luckily we have the DVD rental place on Wildman Street in Kendal (just around a corner from our apartment and not to long a walk for your guests either) which I felt was a good workaround. It might be worth considering.

Paul
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Nemo wrote:Glad it's not just me then! My Google site has been a wonderful tool to get me up and running and taking my own bookings quickly BUT I get so frustrated with its limitations.

I am just building up to getting another website up and running with wordpress, so hope that will eventually be the answer.

Availability same for me as well, didn't have any winter bookings until a couple of weeks ago. Have now booked 6 short breaks which makes me fell a whole lot better, but only after a little promotional discounting!

Just had a quick peek at your site - have you thought about promoting short breaks? Most people won't want a week through the colder months, so although you say a minimum of two nights, you don't appear to price it? My experience seems to be spell out the price and promote some last minute deals - maybe a section of your site could have some deals somewhere?
Hi Nemo,

Yes, Google sites has its limitations. The good news is that you can use other Google things (maps, analytics, places) to support your very own site. I hope your web development goes well :) I used Frontpage to build the new site, largely because I've used it before. I plan to make it more picture-rich, when the weather lets me shoot some more pics.

Fiona and I have already let the flat out for some short breaks, following approaches from CT and HR respectively. I take your point about pricing some up and will have a go later in the week. The bottom line is that an empty let is growing no moss, hence our re-pricing exercise. But let's not fret...there's a couple in there until Friday!
davhill

Post by davhill »

kendalcottages wrote:Hi David

I noticed you list DVD titles on your site, for guests to hire. You might like to have a read of this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=9559

Although we have a DVD player in our apartment, we've decided not to supply DVDs due to this discussion. Luckily we have the DVD rental place on Wildman Street in Kendal (just around a corner from our apartment and not to long a walk for your guests either) which I felt was a good workaround. It might be worth considering.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Yes, you make a good point. My thinking is that it's my flat, the DVDs are mine and if I choose to leave a disc or two in my flat, that's up to me.

I've seen following the filmbank thing before and maintain this belief. This is in the full knowledge that the torrent sites allow brand-new movies to be downloaded (which I don't do personally). I reckon that if I were arranging public screenings or charging for the material, it would be a different matter.

I'd also lay odds that I'm not the only let owner with this opinion. That said, I take your point and will keep an eye on any developments.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I don't blame you, tbh. Just making you aware, in case you weren't. We had an easy 'get out' really with the Lakes Movies rental place being so close.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Hi All,

Below is CT's reply re loan DVDs in holiday lets. I'm not saying this is definitive but a fine, etc, is the last thing I need right now.

Given the 'evidence', my free loan DVD offer will have to go. This is a pity but needs must...it's a shame, especially as most of my DVDs contain movies and series everybody's seen anyway.

Letter begins...

Hello David & Fiona
Further to your enquiry, please see information & weblinks below:
Licences to show DVDs
Do I need a licence?
If accommodation providers are planning to offer guests the use of a DVD film library, they need a licence to do so.

Providing films to paying guests without a licence is an infringement of copyright law (the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988). It is a civil, and in some cases, criminal offence to show a film in this manner without the permission of the copyright owner (the film studios) or their representatives (the licensing bodies).

A licence permits properties to provide DVDs for guests’ use, whether guests are using DVD players, lap tops, games consoles or other portable devices. Properties will be able to hold an unlimited number of DVDs from the represented studios covered by the licence.

Licences are taken out on a different basis depending on the type of guest accommodation:
Bed and breakfast accommodation, guesthouses, small hotels and boutique hotels are required to take a licence out on a per room basis
Serviced apartments require one licence per apartment
Chalets and holiday homes require one licence per chalet/home
Who issues licences?
Organisations that issues licences to businesses include the following.
Filmbank is a joint venture company owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment and Sony Pictures Releasing. It operates the DVD Concierge Licence scheme and represents many of the leading Hollywood and independent film studios in the area of film usage outside the cinema and home. For more information, visit their website at www.filmbank.co.uk.
The Motion Picture Licensing Company (www.mplcuk.com) states on its websites that it represents more than 350 producers and distributors.
Businesses may wish to look at these and other companies offering a similar service in order to compare prices. The organisation approached should represent the studios producing the films being offered.

Cost of Filmbank licences
The cost of the licences are as follows:
annual properties (those open year round) £36 plus VAT per room/unit
seasonal properties (open for eight months or less) £24 plus VAT per room/unit
The fees payable are for the licence only and accommodation providers would continue to purchase DVDs as usual. The licence fees quoted for guest accommodation apply when no extra charge for the DVD is made to the guest. If a charge is levied, as in most hotels, then a higher licence fee applies.

Avoiding DVD licences
Smaller businesses may choose to avoid the purchase of a licence by removing DVDs. A licence is not required if guests bring their own DVDs to watch.

Further guidance
Customer Services, TV Licensing, Bristol, BS98 1TL. Tel: 0870 241 6468. www.tvlicensing.co.uk
Performing Rights Society, tel: 0800 068 4828. www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk
Phonographic Performance Limited licences: contact the PPL information line, tel: 020 7534 1030. www.ppluk.com
DVD Concierge Licences: call Filmbank on 020 7984 5954 or email dvdconcierge@filmbank.co.uk. You can also found out more on the Filmbank website www.filmbank.co.uk.
Kind regards

Dianne Furness
Industry Services Assistant
01539 825047

...ends
Windy

Post by Windy »

David - there was a long and irrascible thread about the manifest and manifold idiocies of the Filmbank licence scheme a while back.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Windy wrote:David - there was a long and irrascible thread about the manifest and manifold idiocies of the Filmbank licence scheme a while back.
I know, I read it :wink:

My take on this is that there's too much risk of the application of the First Law of Professor Sod. There are two outfits that can sting me for offering a freebie and they just might. As Paul says, there's a DVD hire place not far from Valley View :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Taking an interest here so please, will someone tell me what is "CT" - a cottage listing site?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Giddy Goat wrote:Taking an interest here so please, will someone tell me what is "CT" - a cottage listing site?
It's the utterly worthless Cumbria Tourism, who promote the Lake District (no challenge there, then) and don't realise that there are other parts of Cumbria with plenty to offer.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks GB. Lakism - ought to be punishable by law don't you think? (I'll scarper off to another thread while the going's good!)
Well, it's still early so I haven't got up to full speed yet!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be