Non-domestic rate relief - Scotland

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Ben McNevis

Non-domestic rate relief - Scotland

Post by Ben McNevis »

A reminder for owners of holiday lets in Scotland:

Since 2008 there has been a business rate relief scheme which in most cases gives 100% (i.e. you pay no rates).

We've just received a form to re-apply for this. If we don't re-apply, we lose the relief.

You can contact the Highland Council on 01463 702984 or nondomesticrates@highland.gov.uk
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Moira

Post by Moira »

Thanks for this, just reminded me to chase my Council. I completed a form a while ago and have heard nothing.
mrsathome

Post by mrsathome »

Hi, I have just recently received a demand from Business Stream, the privatised section of Scottish Water, for water rates as we were exempt from business rates. I didn't know we were liable for this.

Business Stream said there would be quite a hefty charge for having a meter installed, but Scottish Water install them for free.

There are other water providers in Scotland and intend to change to Scotland Water Choice who are much cheaper.

Anyone else had dealings with Business Stream?

Ian
Moira

Post by Moira »

Only found out that the water rates would ber charged separately after I had changed to Business rates. So far I haven't heard anything from Business Stream. I expect they'll get to me sometime soon. Thanks for the tip re Scottish Water, definately worth looking into.