Blog

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Linda Freese

Blog

Post by Linda Freese »

Wasn't sure where to put this question, but I´m sure that someone reading this thread will know the answer!

Can anyone tell me what a "blog" is??? I see it written everywhere and I don´t know what it means! :?

Thanks

Linda
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

a weBLOG was originally an online diary.

Here is a typical example : http://alex-in-languedoc.blogspot.com

The software is now quite flexible and can be used to create websites for different purposes.

You can check out some here : http://blogsearch.google.com

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
mvus

Post by mvus »

A lot of them are daily online journals, diaries and thoughts/opinions but you can use it for anything and are set up so you can just post text etc as often as you want and submit and it automatically uploads it to the web and appears in chronological order. No html experience, ftp software etc required. You can get free one from google and play around with it. You can use it to promote your house etc, not ideal but better than nothing
mvus

Post by mvus »

Sorry, 2 people replying at exactly the same time!
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Thanks! I think I understand now. Does that mean that you don´t need to have a domain name but can just post a blog??? :?
mvus

Post by mvus »

The google ones are www.anyname.blogspot.com rather than anyname.com so it's a sub domain not a proper domain but you can have as many as you want
mvus

Post by mvus »

Here's on lakegarda did http://gardahomes.blogspot.com
and here's one I had a play with http://myrentalexample.blogspot.com

Handy for free ad sites to post some pics and contact details

You can also use flickr.com to post pics and contact info and I've also tried yahoo photo albums but think the above 2 are better options
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Linda,

Have you seen this forum thread on blogs?

viewtopic.php?t=1215

There is a lot of discussion as to the merits of blogs, and some definition of what they are.
Brooke
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Thanks Brooke! It´s a long thread, so not sure how I missed it :shock:

Linda
BobToovey

Domain names and blogs

Post by BobToovey »

Hi all

Lynda asked
Thanks! I think I understand now. Does that mean that you don´t need to have a domain name but can just post a blog??? Confused
well if you intend to use a blog to promote your holiday rental it would be best to get your own domain name, they can be bought fairly cheap and hosting companies may be able to help with setting up your blog etc.

Having your own domain name would make it better for the seach engines. Register a name that has your property name in it or something close. If someone was to type your property name in to a search engine it make it easier to find.

Just my pennies worth!

Bob
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

well if you intend to use a blog to promote your holiday rental it would be best to get your own domain name, they can be bought fairly cheap and hosting companies may be able to help with setting up your blog etc.

me again! Thanks for your pennies worth! I do have my own domain name and website, which is why I was wondering what the real value is of having a blog? I can understand it if it´s used by people that just don´t want to set up a website.

Thanks again for all your input!

Linda
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Linda,
I think they can be a nice add on to a website, but not a replacement for one. DebK did a very good one on the thread mentioned by Brooke. You can add extra info about the area, or new things in your own property. Its just easier to update than re-doing your website all the time! If you have time, its a nice extra to have (and if linked to your site can also help improve search engine ratings).