Typical number of hits

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Don't be so worried about the number of hits. I would rather have 52 hits and 52 bookings, rather than 80,000 hits per month?
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
marcus

Post by marcus »

If one in 50 visitors clicked on an ad, making say .5 euor per click, 1000 visitors would pay 10 euros per month and 50000 would generate 500 euros per month. Money for nothing, more or less. As long as I'm not paying a fortune to google to get them there in the first place, and as long as the clicking isn't taking them away from booking my own properties of course - which is always a danger.
So I'd generally want visitors to the site even if they aren't going to make a booking.
Of course I'd be even happier if they include the 104 visitors who want to book our two gites full all year around.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Arnold,

From what you are saying there is some connection between your statistics and bookings.

I am under threat from Joan of death, or something even more unpleasant, if I increase annual bookings much beyond their present level. It's not a high level, it's just what she is comfortable with. Ten weeks in each property is what Joan likes and we have 2 and 14 at the moment with the July/August rush to come early in the new year.

Alan
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

In general terms, I'm with you reddevil. However, if I could find out what I did to bump up the hits 10 fold and could manage to do it again, it would bring in a very useful sum from google each month.

Exactly Marcus. That's the thing I'm worried about and why I've not put adsense on our homepage. I figured that putting it on the regional guide was OK in that not everyone going there would book with us anyway so money for nothing as you say. On our 500 page views a day we pulled in about $50 per month. Rather annoyingly though, people appeared to be booking cars through the google ad on our transport page rather than the link to holidayautos which pays considerably more.

What I have been toying with is putting adsense on the homepage outside the booking season (ie now) to see what happens. We're not really expecting many more bookings over the next three months so there doesn't seem to be a downside to that.

I think there probably is some kind of link Alan, but it's very hard to be sure at the moment. I'm a teensy bit worried that the level of bookings will go up in proportion (although I can't really see it happening to be honest) because we couldn't cope with it adminstratively even though the bulk would be getting a "sorry we're full" reply.

Arnold
Sundayschild

Post by Sundayschild »

I never take any notice of viewing figures, as someone already said, having vast clicks does not put monies in the coffers.

Most website number crunchers do not give true readings, they even take into account your own clicking and time spent on your website.

Fix all of your attention on getting higher placing in the search engines, your website content and its useability. A far more productive past time.
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

Ah, but vast viewing figures does put money in the bank courtesy of adsense. I do recognise that it would be crazy to get hung up on the figures.

I'm taking these figures directly from the hosting service logs, so they should be accurate. They also correlate well with the google figures. It is true that our own clicks are in those figures but you're talking 5 or 10 per day tops out of a total page view figure of over 600 so they're not significant. The logs only record clicks so time spent by us updating the website isn't recorded.

The higher counts are at least in part from higher search engine ranking. I skim through some of the searches that people have used to get to us and it's fairly common to find us in the top 10 or so.

I originally wondered if our hits were unusually high as 1) I'd come across frenchentree quoting 8000 visitors a month vs my own 9000 and 2) when others were quoting figures on this forum and others they were talking of perhaps 500 visitors/1000 page views.

Anyway, it would appear that my figures are unusually high. The question is: why? As far as I know, I didn't do anything that isn't listed in the various FAQs on this site relating to improving your search engine positioning, so what was it amongst the amendments I did in September which a) took us up the rankings on searches and b) as a side-effect took the visitor and page view figures up 10 fold almost immediately and has us sitting on over 600 page views per day now vs 30 in September?

I have the worry that it was something trivial that I'll accidently undo next time we update the site.

Arnold
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Arnold,

Wouldn't it be nice to discover what it was you did? You could then repeat it every time, with fantastic results. Only, don't tell anyone else otherwise they all be doing it, whatever it might be.

Alan
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

Indeed Alan.

The thing that gets me is that I really don't think I did anything that isn't in the FAQs here. So, how come I'm sitting on a ridiculously high number of hits in comparison to the rest of you?

I mean, I took one look at Marcus' new site and thought "WOW" yet on his normal site he's only ticking along at my pre-September hit count. That shouldn't be - he should be the one with 10 times my hits.

What I'm going to do is to roll out the remainder of the September upgrade to my other pages over the next few months and see what happens and perhaps work out why it's happening. So far, I've only fully implemented it on three pages (it takes several days to do each page).

Arnold
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Arnold,

As someone who does not currently have a personal Website I can say that one hit is more than I get. If and when I do have a personal Website I suppose I will try to analyse its statistics, even if I don’t really know what I am looking at. I might get extremely depressed? If I had a thousands hits and no enquiries or bookings it would be gloom and doom. I would be asking myself “do people hate my Website or do people hate my property?�

In reality, I think I would still be looking at my bookings diary for the real message of how things were going.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Arnold,

Did you put Adsense on your pages at the time your visitor numbers jumped?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
marcus

Post by marcus »

Paulo, surely you're not suggesting that google would send more people to a site because they stood to make money out of it...what a suggestion.

Arnold, you brought tears to my eyes with your kind words. Yes,I am very pleased with the new site that I mustn't publicise here and yes unfortunately it means I'll have to go back to my normal site and try and make it equally attractive. It will be interesting to see in 6 months or a year whether I get as many visitors as you do.

Alan, I have to admit I do find it interesting to see the visitor numbers, although they don't relate directly to bookings. I do have a suspicion that ultimately it can only be to my advantage, either through bookings or ad revenue, to have as many visitors as possible to the site. And even if not bringing financial benefits now, I believe that more visitors now will lead to higher google ratings and thus higher 'genuine' (ie making a booking) visitors in due course.

Cheers
Marcus
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marcus,

In the long run I think your synopsis has to right. Logic suggests that all methods of "spreading the word" must have a positive effect even if it is not directly provable.

Alan
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

I look at the hits on my personal site for historic reasons but as I say it's normally one or perhaps two hits every few weeks or so but now it's more like 2 or 3 per day.

The thing that gets me is that the amendments I made in September were mainly confined to one or two pages yet the uplift in hits has been right across the board - every single page has had a major jump in hits since September, including the likes of my personal pages which haven't seen amendments in several years.

I plan on checking the impact on the booking diary but it will be months before we're into a sizeable booking season for us. As I say, we appear to be getting queries that we'd not have been expecting before but, at the moment, that's largely indicative rather than being a definite sign that we'll end up with some crazy number of bookings in due course.

Also indicative is that when I skim through the searches, they are broadly relevant to us ie they aren't all "weird" searches by any means. People looking for things like "pyrenees orientale" and the like (plus the usual sprinkling of peculiar searches, of course). Quite a lot of "no referrer" too but I gather that's normal these days and we always had quite a high proportion of those anyway.

Thought about the adsense impact myself but I don't think that's the reason. I've been adding adsense to more and more pages as the year progressed but most pages that now have adsense had it pre-September.

One thing that did occur to me is that perhaps the combination of changes made in September have had the effect of moving me to the upper end of PR3 (ie towards PR4). I was thinking that if whatever I did had that effect, I would have seen the ripple down effect on my other pages. Still doesn't explain why it happened though.

I was also thinking that perhaps some really high PR site put a link to me at around the same time as I did the amendments but then they'd appear in the stats, wouldn't they? On the other hand, there's always been a jump in hits after I have applied the amendments to a new page which goes against that theory.

Arnold
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

On the google front, I am dead impressed by their customer service. We had a problem with our adsense account a month ago and they got back to us within a day.

Can't see it affecting things, but we actually had someone from google staying with us in mid-November. He, of course, used google to find us. Now he booked on November 8th which was well after the September jump but I wonder if a) he'd have been searching earlier and b) if searching from "within" google would have an effect?

Arnold
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

Google has just finished re rating sites following its "Jagger" algorythm (sp ?) update. It has been in progress for a couple of months and has been stable for about 1 week.

Could the growth in visits come from "promotion" of some of your pages for certain keywords ?

Including my forum , I get around 20,000 page views per month. My experience has been a loss of 1000 visitors per month in October / November but that is seasonal. In fact my old redirect URL has vanished, and the new one (been moving up for 6 months) has now overtaken the old one in the rankings (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... =languedoc).

And just to say a bit about adsense : very few people click on ads, and it is reducing !
Over the last 2 years I've had about 1.5% clicks to views at about 28 cents per click. In the last year it has dropped to 1.3% clicks to views at about 21 cents per click.

I've now added some link units, so I'm hoping this will improve.

A quick calculation tells me that I only need another 245,730,000 views to make 1m dollars !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com