Online Credit Card Accounts

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
mvus

Post by mvus »

We're talking about 2 different types of transation here, paypal to paypal and straight credit card payments. I don't think Susan would have had those problems with a credit card payment but you need to make sure your account allows it as mentioned above with the upgrade to your account
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Arnold,
My guest wasn't registered with PayPal, so you are probably right. She was paying by credit card. So does this happen often if the person paying isn't registered - I would have thought they are in the majority??
paolo

Post by paolo »

I thought that what happened in this situation - credit card to PayPal payment for a large amount - is that PayPal first debits the sender $1. This apears on their credit card account with a code. The sender then authorises the larger payment with the code. This is to avoid credit card fraud.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

Wouldn't that put a month or so of delay in large payments? ie the time that they need to get their next statement with the code on it (assuming that you can't get the code online).

What's to stop you registering a second time with paypal and taking half under one account, half under the other? Or is the max payment from unregistered people too low to make that worthwhile?

Arnold
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

My problem was that it wasn't an especially large amount, but it was a bit embarassing for all concerned that the transaction didn't work (me because I suggested it, her because her credit kept getting refused). I haven't been brave enough to try it again!
mvus

Post by mvus »

I see your point Susan but I would have thought if this thing happened frequently, Paypal would have lost customers. You can also get your card rejected in a store and where they have to phone for authorisation
paolo

Post by paolo »

mascamps wrote:Wouldn't that put a month or so of delay in large payments? ie the time that they need to get their next statement with the code on it (assuming that you can't get the code online).
You can get the code by phoning your credit card supplier, and it also appears on your online statement if you have that facility.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

This happended to me when I first used PayPal. I bought something on E-Bay and the seller wanted payment through PayPal. When I registered with PayPal a fee of $1 was charged to my credit card account but the PayPal system required an additional authentication code, which I didn't have.

I telephone my credit card company and they told me the additional code would be displayed on my next monthly statement, which it was. They could not give me the code over the phone; they said it was computer generated and I would have to wait.

It was not a problem, the statement with the additional code arrived long before the expiration of the PayPal payment limit. The trouble now is I can't remember the code without digging into my old statements.

A word of warning for people who pay through the PayPal system. Months after my first purchase was completed and paid for I got an e-mail which looked exactly like a PayPal message telling me I hadn't paid and telling me my life would be at an end if I didn't repeat the payment instructions. I checked with PayPal and I checked with the seller. It was a scam, the PayPal e-mail address had been spoofed but the e-mail contained all the details of the transaction so someone had cracked the PayPal system. Just, be warned!

Alan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

We managed to set up with Paypal but the big issue for us is we want to receive funds in France. The problem with this is you have to register with Paypal France for them to put the money into a French account - why is this a problem - well the issue is when Paypal sends the request for payment its in French and there is no way to set it to English, my American guests had a great time with their first French challenge....
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Clexane,

To select your language preference, please follow these steps:
  • 1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/fr/ by entering your email address and password in the Member Log In box
    2. Click on the Profile subtab (Profil)
    3. Click on the link "Language Preference" (Préférence linguistique)
    4. Using the drop down menu select your language preference
    5. Click "Save" (Enregistrer)
This will change the on-screen language for you but I suspect it may not make any difference to the requests for payment. Worth a try?

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Clexane wrote:the issue is when Paypal sends the request for payment its in French and there is no way to set it to English, my American guests had a great time with their first French challenge....
You don't have to send a request via PayPal. I just give them my email address for PayPal payments and let them get on with it. This way they will not have a French interface.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

I had the same problem once paypal.fr came online.

I'd originally just registered with paypal.co.uk quoting our address as in France but then when they added paypal.fr all of a sudden my e-mails went out in French and with no way to change the language (at that time), we ended up having to reregister with a UK address to get everything back into English.

Must try to go back and change the language preference though in the meantime we started quoting deposit amounts in pounds rather than euro.

Alan: you don't need the verification code. That was just to check that you're you and only needs to be done once.

Paolo: like the idea of sending just an e-mail address. Do you add something to your confirmation e-mail to explain to people how to use it?

Arnold
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Arnold,
Alan: you don't need the verification code. That was just to check that you're you and only needs to be done once.
Thanks for that. The fact that I didn't know has let the cat out of the bad - I am not a regular e-Bay or PayPal user.

Alan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Thanks Alan and Paolo,

With those two responses the system should get easier to use. Now only how to get the 3.9% commision down - what a great business that is.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

Clexane: your wish is my command... use www.nochex.com - 2.6% plus 20p per transaction. Snag is that they only process UK issued cards.

Arnold