Online Credit Card Accounts

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
paolo

Post by paolo »

mascamps wrote:Paolo: like the idea of sending just an e-mail address. Do you add something to your confirmation e-mail to explain to people how to use it?
No, I tell them to go to paypal.com and make a payment to my email address. Once on PayPal it is pretty straightforward, and if they are the sort of people who will be comfortable sending a PayPal payment, they are the sort of people who will work out how to use it.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I go to the Merchant Tools section of PayPal and generate an e-mail link, which has all the payment information pre-filled, and which the client can click or paste into a browser.

However, the link is very long, so just in case it gets truncated or split into several lines, I always say that they can just go to the PayPal website and send the payment to my e-mail address, as Paolo does. That works fine, too.
Brooke
Car & Bill

paypal?

Post by Car & Bill »

Just a quick one on this. When I frst considered taking cards, I put paypal into the search engine. Up it came as no.1.
No. 2 on the list was www.paypalsucks.com Having read this I decided not to go any further and so have no personal experience of how good or bad paypal is. I decided to use our banks bog standard credit card account. It costs 22 Euros a month and roughly 1.5% per transaction (can't remember offhand the exact amount). It is no more expensive than swift transfers or bankdrafts, and is very convenient with the money going instantly into your account.
paolo

Post by paolo »

There is a lot of discontent about PayPal out there, but bear in mind that it's a question of scale too. Every organisation has a [fill in name]sucks.com. PayPal is enormous and therefore has a lot of displeased customers.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

We are one of the hire a machine brigade. We take a large proportion of our bookings on credit card, and the bank has given us a favourable rate.

For the past year we have paid about 576 Euros in charges (rent for the machine and costs). For the same throughput Paypal would have cost us 1560 Euros. Add to that the convienience of have your own machine, and I for one would not want to use Paypal, or any other online account. Plus the money arrives in our account the next banking day.

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Clexane,

Going back to PayPal and languages, this morning I got some Christmas publicity from PayPal and it was in French. I guess it just the language on- screen which you can change.

Alan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Alan,

I was afraid of that. I guess the Paolo solution of sending the email address out is the way to go if credit cards must be used - which we really only do if our guests insist. Direct transfer is our favoured option.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Clexane,

What a simple soul I am. I'm not easily excited. I take a cheque - stirling or euro, what's simpler than that?

Alan
marcus

Post by marcus »

Alan,

I have just today followed you instructions for changing language, sent a request for payment to them, and asked them to confirm what language they received it in. Apparently at no stage in the payment process were they exposed to any French.

I was also asked a different question about what language should be used, and chose to 'default to country that seems most appropriate' or words to that effect.

So I think it does work from the recipient point of view.

Marcus
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marcus,

If it really works that way then it answers the question.

Alan