Update-added youtube video, good idea? NarrowsCottage

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Another update, thank you all for your amazing patience with me! I was on the phone with the hosting company for probably 1 1/4 hours yesterday and finally someone realized that the template was fixed with 3 columns, so changed it to a single column and the guy said that it should be fixed now. Hopefully is, will try and find a friend with smaller monitor to see what it looks like! If anyone still wants to take a peek and see if it's fitting now that would be great, but I feel as though I've taken a lot of your time. I have appreciated all of your help and thoughtful comments!!

Wendy
Last edited by Wendy@NorthIdaho on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Oh Wendy,
I am so sorry you are having this trouble, but now I am going to add to it. :oops:
Before things were ok except the main photo. Now I am seeing the main photo pushed near the LH coloum. So now it is the other way to how I saw it before.
The main difficulty now is that I too have to pan to the right to see it all. But the solution could be somewhere in the header. I am at also as to where, as there is seems to be code overlapping code.

PS screen resolution 1280x 1024. Monitor is a 17" so no wide screen here. :D
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Thank you Ian and Irene, well, I'm at a loss for that because I just came home from my parents and on their 17 inch screen everything was centered! so, will see if others are having the same problems as you?

Thank you again for taking the time to check, not sure what to do, but wait and see if others say the same.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Hi Wendy,

On my widescreen laptop I see the whole width, but the header and footer are filling that width, and the whole middle section with the menu bar, the text and the photos are now only occupying a fraction of that width, say about 2/3, starting at the left hand side.

On my non-widescreen PC though, the menu bar, photos and most of the text is OK, fitting in the screen width,.....BUT the header and footer is much wider and I need to scroll sideways to see all that. If I don't scroll the header finishes halfway through the R of Rental, and the footer halfway through the w of Let us know.
In the main text the boundary is right after the ! of Park! and in the 3 lines of text after the 1st photo its at the r of dining room, the h of warmth, and the l of Alene. The rest of the text and the photos below fit fine.

Is there a separate adjustment you can make to the header and footer widths? Maybe they need to be set as % rather than pixels too (I don't know what that means - just based on the suggestions from others earlier in the thread)?
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Thank you Ian, Irene, and Dotty! I will call the company again and mention these things, as I've had no luck with the header and footer sections.

Ian, it looks like you are using FireFox? for some reason the picture gets off center with that browser, but in explorer it is all centered. When I've mentioned that to the company they just say there is nothing to be done about that...

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Wendy
Windy

Post by Windy »

In Firefox and Chrome your main image is on the left

In Explorer, assuming your text "Water Front Only 13 miles from Silverwood Theme Park!" is centered then your image is NOT centered

Your group of About Our Location photos are oddly lined up in all 3 browsers.

Also the header title "Lakefront North Idaho Vacation Rental"is way too far right in all 3 too.
When I've mentioned that to the company they just say there is nothing to be done about that...
Cross browser compatibility is problematic but it should not be shrugged off like that.

You really need to be thinking about either launching into Wordpress or getting someone to do a site for you. I'm afraid what you have there is just not doing justice to your place and that must be costing you bookings. Sorry to be so blunt.

You have the makings of a good site there - great content and photos - don't waste it!

(Edited for appalling typing)
Last edited by Windy on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Windy, I appreciate blunt, thank you.

I will be spending more time on this. Frankly, I've been feeling like giving up (you must have noticed my tone) but I appreciate that you think the content is good and that it would be worthwhile to "get it right" will continue trying.

Thank you!
Wendy
Windy

Post by Windy »

Of course it's worth carrying on!

Think of the web site as a shop window - you've got the goods but you need to display them properly.

Don't lose heart :lol:
lorca

Post by lorca »

Wendy - I´m no good at all on the technical stuff, but I just want to second what Windy says - don´t give up!

Your property looks great and you have some very good pictures

I wish you all the best
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Thank you for your encouragement Lorca, I definitely am encouraged by all of your kind words. I really don't want to be a pain to all of you in this endeavor of mine!

Will have to wait till later today in order to call the company, then will be working on everything mentioned. Hopefully will be able to post what progress happens tomorrow!

Thank you again,
Wendy
CSE

Post by CSE »

You are not being a pain at all. It is nice to see that you are trying to get this sorted out.
It is much better than just asking what is wrong look at the advice and not give any response.
This is one of the strength of this forum is we are all in the same boat and we can all help on all sorts of matters.
Yes cross browser is a problem and even the bigger websites cannot get this sorted out.
Keep in there.Image
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Hello all that have been such a help to me in my endeavor with improving my website. This has been a stretching excercise for me! I have republished a new one after scrapping the other new one ;-)

So my main areas of concern:

1. Is it fitting on everyones browser? no need to scroll to the right, nothing falling off the page?

2. Shall I keep the 2 initial photos or replace with one large?

3. When transferring to the new template I found that some words would get misspelled.. hopefully have found all, if you notice something please tell!

**4. The reason I even brought this topic up initially was because I noticed (via the analytics) that people for the most part were only staying on my website for 30 seconds or less. Do you think this site is more inviting and that people will want to explore the other pages now? (I do understand if you don't even remember the first site! the first one was greens/beige/tan)

We have bought a leather sofa and recliner for the living room and a new bed for upstairs. Can't get new photos till we go up in a month or so then will replace many of the photos. The exterior will be getting painted this spring/summer and new exterior photos will be coming then.

Thank you for all the time and helpful advice you have given me!

Will steel myself for some bad news but am hoping this has been an improvement.

Wendy
Last edited by Wendy@NorthIdaho on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Wendy, as you say once an old site has gone it is difficult to remember what it looked like!

After a quick look, I am generally impressed. It fits my browser, so no scrolling etc. Nice clean crisp look to it I feel. Photos displaying nicely. My only negative at the moment is perhaps too many different typefaces and sizes, particularly on the home page? JMO of course! No doubt you could tweak it more, but you're up and running now so well done!

I hope I have as much tenacity as you, when the time comes to change mine!
Wendy@NorthIdaho

I hope I have as much tenacity as you, when the time comes to change mine!
I had to laugh at that! since I've been feeling like saying "it's good enough!"

Will check on the different typefaces (fonts?) I thought they were all the same so will check that. It does seem as though sometimes things change when I don't mean for them to!

Thank you,
Wendy