Property name

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Property name

Post by Sue Dyer »

How did your property get it's name or was it already named? Some are fairly obvious, River View Cottage etc but others I wonder.

When we bought our cottage it was just Number 26 West Street and I thought it had to have a nice name if we were going to rent it out. The solicitor gave me lots of old papers going way back - at one time it had been known as "South West Street Cottage" but that was clumsy and not very marketable.

We racked our brains and ruled out lots of choices then on New Years Eve just a couple of weeks after we'd bought it I was standing in the pub thinking of my mother, Lily and how I'd always ring her at midnight on New Year.(she died in 1998) It came to me and I said - yeah, that's it - "Lily Cottage". (Some of my best ideas come when I'm half cut!)

A friend who is a potter made a lovely ceramic plaque with the name on and some tiger lillies. I was a bit concerned Dad would find it upsetting and I did notice he had to wipe his eyes when he first saw the plaque but I know he's really proud and thinks it's a lovely memorial to mam. Even some of the locals refer to it as Lily Cottage now, which really pleases me!

So - does your property name have a story?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Sue,

That’s a lovely story.

I can’t add much to this thread because my two little village houses don’t even have a name. My road isn’t signposted either. We rely on the postman knowing everyone by name. I have sat down with a blank sheet of paper (or was it a blank Word document?) to come up with some names so I could differentiate between them. It’s surprisingly difficult to come up with genuine-sounding names for houses, the best I could do was ‘the one-bed house’ and ‘the two-bed house’. So that’s what I went with.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Maybe we should have a "name Paolo's houses" competition :)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Great idea Sue. All I need is award-winning names for two village houses in Provence. They are small, charming, right at the top of the village, with lovely views of the mountain opposite.

No Bellevues or Bellavistas! :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
musicmonkey

Name that house

Post by musicmonkey »

Le sommet ......?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

Your house name.

Tongue in cheek. How about something "frightfully" British.

Errer Fait, or

Errer Fini, or even

Terminer du Vagabondage

Sorry about the translations but “Dunromin� isn’t too easy.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Ha!!! It's like those folk that call their retirement home "costa packet".... You just know their interior design will be more Poundstretcher than Lawerence Llwellyn Bowen....
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks, some interesting suggestions there. 'Errer fini' actually sounds quite fancy and Latin. 'Le Sommet' - it's got potential, I'm going to put that on my blank sheet of paper. :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat