Criteria do you use for selecting a Rental listing site ?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.

What is most important in selecting a rental listing site ?

Annual Cost
10%
Free Trial period
24%
Information from boards such as LayMyHat
10%
My previous personal experience
14%
Position on Google / search engines
29%
Specific features ( e.g. calendar, guest books etc)
5%
Other
10%

Total votes: 21

kevincohr

Criteria do you use for selecting a Rental listing site ?

Post by kevincohr »

I am interested in getting an understanding of the criteria that you use when selecting where to list your property. I've specified several in the poll, but would be interested if there are others.

Thanks,

Kevin
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I'd say it's a combination of several of your alternatives, but unfortunately you can't vote for more than one :cry:
Chalky

Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hard one that Kevin.

No one thing alone on your poll makes my mind up, but several together do. Ranking, traffic, past experience, input from the like of LMH.
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Chalky, I think we overlapped.....but, great minds and all that tosh.
Cheers
PC
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Paul,
That poor wolf. Somebody is going to report you to the RSPCA if it doesn't get a break soon. Does it never sleep??? Makes me think of a film that was called something like "They shoot wolves, don't they?"'.
Best,
Alexia.
roxytoo

rental sites

Post by roxytoo »

well it's a free trial period for me! Dosn't matter to me re their claims for positions in search engines as you can still get nowt enquiries (I know, I've tried!) so for me it will always be the proof is in the pudding, if they can deliver enquiries (and I convert to my satisfaction ) I will always then take the subscription!
oskar

Post by oskar »

Got to be position on search engines.

After all, if the site is continually on page one for your key words, and you don´t get the enquiries, then it´s your villa or marketing that´s c**p! :wink:
roxytoo

rental sites

Post by roxytoo »

point taken Oskar (Hi how u doing!) what I meant really was sites 'claims' to be number one in search engines etc etc and finding out they are not!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi,it's a combination of things for me.I have only subscribed to sites with a free trial period but without decent enquiries they are nothing!!I wouldn't object to a high price IF I had the bookings thus an expensive site would have to deliver- I wouldn't take it on trust,the free trial would be a must.I also like sites where humans are involved! One site I am with hardly ever replies to e-mails and they are my most expensive site at that . They will not allow free photo uploads either altho they did when I signed up with them.Hmmm,no longer impressed!

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Kevin, for me it's a mixture of criteria too. I now rely to an extent on feedback from the more techie LMH'ers in terms of their research into Google results etc. Annual cost also has a bearing but has to be balanced against other things. Previous experience is also now of use, with our first year of letting just behind us.

And I am more likely to go for a reputedly good site which offers a personal website link than one without - even if I have to pay extra for it. Having said that, I am grudgingly going to continue with Holiday-Rentals next year!

The final criterion, not yet mentioned on, is aesthetics. I know VRBO gets great results for many, but have seen references elsewhere on the LMH site about their presentation - which is appalling - and if I could believe it would successfully widen my net, I'd really struggle with myself before signing up!

Alexia, that wolf is definitely on something. Do they grow illegal substances in Corsica, Paul? You can guess what I'm thinking ... :twisted:
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Jane,

Its been a while for the poor lad. Fancy loaning that fit looking goat for an afternoon?
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I was thinking more in terms of a spot of 'special grazing', but only in a wolf-free zone. Do they exist? I'm currently checking out flights for livestock to Bastia.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

If by "special" you mean shroom session, then yes they are all over the place.........As for me, another glass of red please.
Cheers
PC
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

I agree that multiple factors influence the selection, hence I asked for the most important. However, is there a way to have polls with multiple selected answers ?

Thanks,

Kevin
Jane Bennett wrote:Kevin, for me it's a mixture of criteria too. I now rely to an extent on feedback from the more techie LMH'ers in terms of their research into Google results etc. Annual cost also has a bearing but has to be balanced against other things. Previous experience is also now of use, with our first year of letting just behind us.

: