Do you give your address to enquirers?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Phil at Schofields wrote:I would be wary of giving out too much information to ‘strangers’ until they are a confirmed booking or you have some details of who they are – landline number, address etc. A postcode of the general area and photos may be enough for them.
Philip, this advice makes sense of course but I think many owners are vulnerable whether or not a potential burglar has enquired directly with them. Quite often there are enough clues already in the ad, and it's difficult to avoid this if the property is in a less built-up area and the canny thief is able to narrow it down without much effort.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Phil Schofield

Post by Phil Schofield »

Giddy Goat

I agree, there is a lot of information freely available.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm wondering to what extent an individual rental property would be worth targeting? Is it likely to have anything much that's easy to dispose of at The Scumbags' Arms for more than a pony, and therefore worth stealing, beyond a TV, a DVD player, ipod dock and a few DVDs?

Different of course on a park where there's a large number of similarly equipped lodges as Windy will testify, but is the meagre haul from one rental worth the attention of the professional burglar? Unfortunately I don't know anyone to ask; the professional thieves that I know are mainly accountants, management consultants and people in finance.
Phil Schofield

Post by Phil Schofield »

Generally, holiday homes don’t have too many valuables – mainly electrical items. Often the damage caused getting into the property costs more to repair than the items stolen. A main residence would generally offer richer pickings.

There are instance where remote holiday homes are ‘cleared out’ kitchens, bathrooms the lot. Although this is usually abroad.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Phil at Schofields wrote:Although this is usually abroad.
Thanks Phil, that may be reassuring for some, but not others! :(
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I think transparency should win and we should make it easy and comfortable for guests to book. If they ask for location then they do really want this in order to make a decision. Surely we want them to make a positive decision ?

Also see my other answer here :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Phil Schofield

Post by Phil Schofield »

Sorry Giddy Goat :oops:

Rarely in France.
Last edited by Phil Schofield on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I don't make it tooo easy for people eg by broadcasting its address on listing sites etc, but it's simple enough for them to see roughly where our property is anyway, thanks to the internet. Meanwhile if an enquirer asked for more precise information and sounded genuine, I would have no objection in giving it to them.

I actually agreed to a prospective guest being shown around the property once and you can't get more transparent than that.

He booked.

PS: you're forgiven Phil. :lol:
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

We don't really have a option it is such a rural location. But there is no through road and 24 hour security by the game keepers.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sounds good Cotterdale! Fortunately we have good neighbours close by who keep an eye for us.