Fake rates

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Londoner

Fake rates

Post by Londoner »

Twice in the last month I have guests tell me that they have seen my advert and would like to book for a week. I give them the price etc and on both occasions they came back to me and said but "we read on Homelidays it was 550 euro for the week"

I would not usually worry about this as guests view several properties and can get confused, alarm bells did ring when both guests (from different countries and wanting different weeks) quoted the same price of 550 euro.
I have never had such a rate, in fact I only list a nightly rate.
I have read and re read the advert and cannot see reference to this sum. I even called Homelidays to get them to check incase I was missing something obvious. They came back to me and said no, can't see that price mentioned anywhere.
Is it a coincidence that they both were trying their luck for a 50% discount?
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Hi Londoner,
If you want to list your ad's I'll view them to see if that is what comes up on my computer. Rather an odd coincidence that they both said the same amount, do you think they were together? same week?

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
CSE

Post by CSE »

If an advert appears in a different languages, on the same listing website, make sure that they all read the same. We have found, lucky not with the price, that sometimes it does not.
Or they could have an old copy of the listing "stored" in the cache of the PC. This should change but not always.
Ask them fora link to where they have found the information is the easiest way to sort this out.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Double check your adverts! HolidayLettings gave me a listing on tripadvisor for my Italian home...and it turns out it was advertising completely inaccurate rates...lost a multi-week, off-season booking because of it - the woman was furious that i would be "falsely advertising" my property! I believe what happened was that the rates on HL were entered in Euros (385), converted to GBP (around 320) to show on the list, and then, the GBP amount was listed in USD on Tripadvisor! $320!!! is what it was offered at. That is quite a discount as it would equal around $500. She thought she'd be paying about 200GBP.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Thanks, have double and treble checked everything, no sign of the 550 euros. Think it was a coincidence that they both picked the same amount.