Potential Guests want to view before booking

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
The Olive Grove

Potential Guests want to view before booking

Post by The Olive Grove »

Has anyone had this before. Just had a telephone call from a lady wanting 10 days in July, but wants her father to visit and view the property before booking. Never had this request before, is it common?
Martha

Post by Martha »

I've had a few of them, I don't think it's a problem.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
The Olive Grove

ok, thanks.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I had this happen once too - we are not on site so I had to pay our caretakers for their time in order to meet the prospective guest and show him and his wife around. They were French.

Bit of a gamble, but luckily he booked and was keen to return the following year.

Ours was the 15th he had viewed, so he confessed to me! I was a little worried by this, but the family were no trouble during their stay, were charming, and we have kept in touch!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've had quite a few too, there has never been a problem.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Us too and they have always gone on to book.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
The Olive Grove

Thanks folks, I have said it is ok. Turns out that although she is in northern Europe, she is Italian and has family about an hour'
s drive from here. Fingers crossed we get the booking. GG at least we are on site, so no outlay there.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

The Olive Grove wrote: GG at least we are on site, so no outlay there.
... and what a site - lucky you! Loved Puglia.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
The Olive Grove

Giddy Goat wrote:
The Olive Grove wrote: GG at least we are on site, so no outlay there.
... and what a site - lucky you! Loved Puglia.
Thank you, we are lucky, and love Puglia too.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Spanish people seem to like to. When I'm out there I often get a call from my agent saying that he has a family that want to view before they book, and I think he sometimes shows people over. I think for us it's partly ebcause we're not much more than an hour from Seville, so people have a day out and look round a couple of properties as well.

There's nothing sinister about it!

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
The Olive Grove

Lady actually said she wanted to check we actually existed, having heard of properties being rented which didn't exist when people got there - sign of the times :( we may get a lot more of this.
windrush

Post by windrush »

I had my first and so far only one of these over Christmas, the lady was actually standing outside the cottage at the time (there's a sign in the window) and wanted to view it there and then. I had to say no because there were guests in situ. She didn't book.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We have had a few of these - we say that it can only be viewed during hte changeover, they tend to forget that there might actually be guests staying! And with such comprehensive website pics these days its not really necessary.
brenda

Post by brenda »

We get quite a few people wanting to ´look before they book´.

Obviously we do not show Guest Rooms if they are occupied but we gladly show them round the rest of the place.

Up to now they have all booked.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Lady actually said she wanted to check we actually existed, having heard of properties being rented which didn't exist when people got there - sign of the times Sad we may get a lot more of this.
Well this is becoming an increasing worry for people. I read an article in Spanish magazine Authentik last year about Spanish people turning up in New York to non-existing apartments.It must have been absolutely awful for them. And several of us have had our places scammed, so it's not unsurprising.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'