Pool heating in August- You must be joking

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
dublin13

Pool heating in August- You must be joking

Post by dublin13 »

Took an enquiry last week for one of our villas on the costa del sol for August. They asked if the pool heating could be turned on. Told them we turn it off at the end of April and theyve come back saying they want to take full advantage of the pool and can they have the heat turned on because theyve had cool pools before. Im lost with this one because I dont know how to tell someone to cop on that its over 25 degrees during the day and still roasting at night and the pool doesnt suddenly go from warm to cold when the sun goes down. Thinking a £200 charge might make them think about how keen they are for heating. :? :?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It isn't such a stupid request. My kids went on holiday with the father to the Algarve in August a couple of years ago. The weather was really hot, but the pool was cold compared to mine, especially in the morning. It wasn't heated, mine is, all the time.
brenda

Post by brenda »

June to September pool temperature here is 28 degrees + 24 hours a day! The Algarve however can be considerably cooler being on the Atlantic coast so maybe your clients have visited there in the past Dublin.

Think your price quote will all that is needed for your guests to change their minds D!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Our pool is like a warm bath in August...not refreshing at all. I would say no and state the reason why.

As Brenda says maybe they've not experienced the Costa del Sol in August (they should be worrying about a/c)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

It may be an unusual request, but it doesn't sound like it's the sort of thing that will cost you a lot to indulge. If the pool doesn't really need heating, you should be able to offer to heat it to a reasonable temperature for a relatively low extra charge, or no extra charge. If they ask for the pool to be 25C and it turns out it's 26C with no heating required, they'll be happy. If not, you'll heat it, they'll pay, and they'll be happy.

If it's really going to cost you £200 (and if that's a lot of money to heat a pool in your area), then it sounds like they're right to ask. But if it won't actually cost £200 to heat the pool for the week they're there, it doesn't seem right to charge that unless you don't actually want the booking.

Just my opinion of course, and I am aware that I may not really understand the nature of/steps involved in heating a pool in your area. At home, turning the pool/spa heat on is just setting the thermostat and flipping a switch, so I wouldn't charge extra for my time.
Brooke
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

Just charge for it, we do this as an option at £10/day.......we do inform people up front, and leave the decision to them.
We have started to offer one days heating, just as a taster, though you don't say how easy it is for you to turn this on for your enquirer.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Pool heating in August - You must be joking.
Until this atypical year, our response might have been the same. In seven seasons, we've always relied on the ambient conditions to keep our pool at a suitable temperature for swimming - usually 23-24C in lowish season and around 28-30C in August. This year, we had a wretched July with much rain. In addition (and almost unheard of here in summer) we had cold nights as well. This combination forced the pool to quickly skitter down to 22C and, with only a mixed August, it struggled back up to 24C. Simply unacceptable for high season - although, fortunately, we didn't have any complaints from our guests, who kindly blamed the bad weather.

Reluctantly - because it was expensive - we have now installed a pool heater to allow us to become more proactive in controlling pool temperatures. So never say never - circumstances and guest expectations do change.

Jim
Darko Kontin

Post by Darko Kontin »

We thought about this in advance and have solar swimming pool heating. So when needed it comes almost at no cost, and only a few times on really bad weathers without any sun for days we had to heat it using other methods.

If guests request it we turn it on but usually they don't as the summer season can be really hot and most of them want refreshing water not heated one :)

I don't know how much does the heating cost you but I think 200pounds might be too much to ask. Especially as in the end that was their main request which would have brought them to you.

If we charged it, but we don't, I would give them heating free of charge just so they come :)