Help! Quoted incorrect rate!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Normandy Cow

Help! Quoted incorrect rate!

Post by Normandy Cow »

Last night I had an enquiry for a week during the school Easter holidays.
I don't charge extra for the school holidays at that time, I just charge a flat €500 per week throughout April and May.
However, last night the lady wanted a Sunday-Sunday booking, and I said that wasn't possible and suggested she may want to book Sat-Sat and spend the Sunday night in Paris.
For some reason I quoted the off-peak (winter) rate of €350!
The lady just got back to me and says she has managed to rearrange her dates and wants to book Sat-Sat...

Don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Two choices say you've taken a booking inbetween or take the hit - been in the same situation myself!
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Nice to see you back again, NC!
I did the same thing a few weeks ago and quoted a low season rate for 2 weeks in June, when it should have been mid season. I took the hit... it was my fault, after all.
I won't be making the same mistake again.
lorca

Post by lorca »

...we´ve done it too :oops: ...
Marks

Post by Marks »

'Fess up and say you made a mistake? Your price is advertised I take it so don't see the problem. Why take the hit if you are confident you'll let the weeks?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

To err is human... and I would explain I'd made a mistake - can you refer her to a prices page on your website? As a goodwill gesture you could always split the difference?
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Funny enough, I did it too this week, and of course as it was so reasonable, the group wanted to book. I did mull over telling them I'd made a mistake and it should have been £200 more but in the end I took the booking for the price I'd quoted..

It was one of those weeks in mid July where the school holidays have started and I normally charge peak rates from that point (for my spanish place) but I put the rates wrongly on my ad and on my booking system... so I thought I'd best honour it.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
brenda

Post by brenda »

Have also done it!

Just bit the bullet and honoured my original quote.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Blimey we're all at it!

I did waver though, NC. And the thing was, the price quoted was a profitable one, so it wasn't the difference between a profit or a loss. If had meant making nothing out of it I would have told her I'd made a mistake and asked for the full price.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I've done it as well and just had to take the hit. I think the worst I did, though, was accidentally overquote and lost the booking as a result. Teach me to be more careful!

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Seeing as we never make a profit (due to the size of our mortgage), there is no such thing as a profitable week. Every year we* end up pumping a couple of thou into the French bank account to make up the difference. So yes, I will be €150 out of pocket and it hurts.

But I will take it on the chin and make sure I am more careful in future.

*It's no longer "we", it's now "I", as OH is having the inevitable mid-life crisis and has left me for a 30 year old. Ho hum, yawn. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger (it also makes me more absent-minded, hence this c*ck-up :roll:)
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

Normandy Cow wrote:
*It's no longer "we", it's now "I", as OH is having the inevitable mid-life crisis and has left me for a 30 year old. Ho hum, yawn. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger (it also makes me more absent-minded, hence this c*ck-up :roll:)
Oh dear, I am sorry to read that, no wonder you are distracted.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I'm sorry NC. I think sometimes when the classic thing happens it makes it harder to bear. Well, it's him that's the cliche, not you!
Lots of good wishes,
TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Ju

Post by Ju »

NC - Just wanted to add my support (I would say condonlances but that isn't really the right word)

Be strong.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Me too NC. Hope you get through this as best you can.

I agree with RR and would explain you made a mistake, people are human afterall and if you split the difference then she's still gaining.

You're not a large company, and as you say you have no profit to claw this back from.

Give her a call...I bet she's understanding.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!