Pyrenees website in need of feedback!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

It is actually pretty straight forward Nemo, happy to try and help you with it if I can :)
I worked my way through some of the tutorials on the wordpress site and they were a good place to start -
http://wordpress.org/

If you google wordpress there is loads of people offering advice. I used a premium ithemes as for my site, the flexx one which I really like as it is quite customisable.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

How much was that out of interest and does it allow you to change background colours etc? I quickly googled it and it is priced in dollars, with one year access to updates. Not clear what that means in the long term?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Nemo

The atahualpa theme (google "atahualpa wordpress") is free and allows you to make considerable modifications via a fairly straightforward interface.

I used it on this site

http://www.lakedistrictcabin.co.uk

I'd take a look at that before splashing out
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

marcus wrote:I notice you use www. in your signature but not on the site itself - it's better to choose one and stick with it (I think you can change it in 'general settings' if necessary).
I have just downloaded wordpress, and noticed the same, that my web address does not have www in the address. Why is this and is it a negative thing in anyway, for search engines etc? In general settings, should you add the www. into the url of the site address?

Cheers Windy, I will have a look at that, thanks.
Windy

Post by Windy »

It helps SEO to have consistency
Pick one or the other for WordPress address and Site address, not both. WordPress will permanently (301) redirect all traffic from the other to your chosen setting.

So, if you enter http://DomainName.co for both, WordPress will permanently redirect all traffic from http://www.DomainName.co to http://DomainName.co
Personally I'd go with the more conventional www. variant.
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

Hi
I can't remember what I pid for the theme now, think it was in the region of £50....included all the different ones in the flexx range and after the years subscription you can just go on using them, don't have to pay anymore just you don't get any updates but can't see that being a big issue if you like what you have got.

Thing is I look at other peoples websites and like theirs better, but will stick with what I have paid for for now as it seems to work ok! I think you could easily pay out lots for a website and not really know if it makes a big impact on the number of bookings you get!
sylvie

where are you?

Post by sylvie »

hello, looking for skiing, I went on your website. Very quickly. I found it nice, "classe' and clear... But I didn't found anywhere the name of the place?
bon courage
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Hi Katie

Just been having a look at your website - on the home page under each gite it says "View as Slideshow", however when I click here, it takes me to your blog page.

Could you tell me which theme you've used in Wordpress - I've been looking for a theme that has a banner picture which scrolls between several images and can't find one.

Thanks
gam

Post by gam »

CarolineH wrote:I've been looking for a theme that has a banner picture which scrolls between several images and can't find one.
Sorry for the slight thread creep but if you're looking for themes, you don't have to get one with this feature built in. There's a plugin called "Header Image Slider" which should* work for most themes compatible with Wordpress 3 (which has been out for 18 months).

It's very simple to use. All you do is find and install the plugin through your admin panel which then gives you a new section in appearance/header called "slider". Any images you've previously uploaded or subsequently load can then be selected as a header slide show. Various effects are available too.

* I've only tried it with the free Wordpress default twentyeleven theme but looking at the write-ups, the compatibility with other themes should be good, though I can't personally vouch for that. I like the plugin a lot.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

gam wrote: Sorry for the slight thread creep but if you're looking for themes, you don't have to get one with this feature built in. There's a plugin called "Header Image Slider" which should* work for most themes compatible with Wordpress 3 (which has been out for 18 months).
Gam to the rescue again :) , thanks for that, I'll give a whirl (easy when you know what you're looking for!)
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

Hi
I am actually getting the web site revamped by a local web designer in exchange for a holiday so although I knw there are a few glitches with the current web site it is not worth worrying about sorting them as new should be up and running in next week or so. Thanks for the heads upthough :)
The theme is an itheme flexx on and it has worked very well, there is a lot of choice out there but you need one that can cope with the updates and tweaking you want to so to put your own ideas into.

Will post my new site here to get some constructive feedback!