Counter-intuitive bit of advice for securing a booking

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Has anyone else tried this?

If someone asks about some aspect of your property which may be a concern, instead of playing it down, overstate the problem.

This sounds highly contrary and a surefire way to losing the booking.

But…I have found this to be extremely effective.

For instance, if someone asks about the stairs, the narrow road, the parking difficulties because one of their party is elderly or hard of walking or a toddler – I tell them all the reasons I would not come if I were them. But I do it with good humour laced with personal experience. The result is invariably that their next email is a ‘how do I pay?’

Why? Because they are reassured by the honesty. It tells them they are dealing with a real person just like them, who is on their side. It overcomes the underlying concern about booking accommodation on the internet - does the house exist, is it as advertised, can I trust this person enough to send them money? It's all about winning their trust.

This summer I rented my one-bed house to a couple with a baby, and I told them it was totally unsuitable for a baby as it is all open-plan, there'd be too much light and noise for the baby to sleep, the bedroom is too small for a travel cot, etc, etc. They just got keener. When they came, they found that I was right – but the baby slept in the shower and they had a great time.

Have you tried this? (The bad news bit, not sleeping in the shower)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Dave Kinder

Post by Dave Kinder »

Can't say that I've gone as far as your example but I agree entirely with being as honest as you can when speaking with prospective rentals.

We have a small place in a hill-top village in northern Tuscany, which consists mainly of narrow cobbled, uneven lanes and is not really suitable for wheelchair access. We have to stress this with any enquiry that we get but even so we still get bookings.

We have had just the one complaint from a group of elderly clients, but at least our conscience was clear that they knew exactly what they were booking.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

The thing I'd be honest about in my place is.... the carpet from hell.. but I guess no one is going to say, "by the way, has the place got an awful patterned carpet"?

We bought the place 3 years ago and the carpet was new then. After buying 3 piece, bed etc we were running low on funds so kept saying the carpet would have to wait. It's finally going now the season has ended to be replaced by laminate flooring. I'm hoping that will be easier to get dog hairs off but is it okay for dogs for scratches etc? I've told my husband I'm gonna throw a party when that carpet goes.

Seriously though, I too stress any drawbacks I think there may be in reply to an enquiry. I say that there are a couple of steps, doors narrow due to the age of the property and not suitable for wheelchairs. I did have one lady with mobility problems but it suited her fine. She said she had to double check as some properties advertised as "cottages" had bedrooms upstairs and were unsuitable. She was delighted with her stay and plans to return.
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

I too believe that honesty is the best policy. We have had a building site near our apartment for the past year and at the beginning it was very noisy when they were laying the foundations. I not only mentioned this in my advert but also offered a 20% discount. It must have put people off as we didn't receive as many enquiries, but the majority of those that contacted me went on to confirm the booking. They were all actually delighted when they arrived at the apartment as it was not as bad as they had imagined and they felt that they were getting a bargain!!! We even had one couple that returned twice more within the same year!
tansy

Post by tansy »

it's human nature - you've stumbled on the Physcology of sales!

If you are told you can't have it - you want it more! Ever watched a child in a sweetie or toy shop!

Honesty is always the best policy - I just get fed up when you are honest and it is taken the wrong way...because we are on the beach - literally the garden gate opens onto the beach I tell parents that children must be supervised in the sea as there are currents in the sea...I thought was just common sense ....one Mum got in such a state I really wish I hadn't said anything!
alanrhone

Post by alanrhone »

I have found a negative comment can be highly effective. I do not accept children or pets in our properties (although I have both myself) and go to some length to emphasise the fact. This creates the appropriate image for the couples we seek to attract.
Fiona

Counter intuitive

Post by Fiona »

I do agree that being completely honest is best-apart from anything else i wouldn't sleep for the duration of a guests holiday if I felt I had not been entirely truthful for fear of their response on their return home.
The question I hate is 'is it safe for an x year old' or even worse 'is it safe for toddlers'-The answer to that either-of course its not-nowhere is. or 'don't be silly of course it is'-depending on the type of parent you are!!!If they have bothered to ask they are probaby the nowhere is type or just have a nightmare child. :evil:
I usually respond by trying to explain that as a 2 storey house it has stairs :shock: that pools and non-swimming toddlers are dangerous (you don't say!) etc etc. I think of the people who have asked most have booked.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I usually respond by trying to explain that as a 2 storey house it has stairs that pools and non-swimming toddlers are dangerous (you don't say!) etc etc. I think of the people who have asked most have booked.
Fiona,

I find that to be the case too. My house is terrible for toddlers and I point out all the pitfalls and tell them how unrelaxed I was there with mine. But still they come!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I just stumbled on this thread; the psychology behind 'honesty is the best policy' is a fun one I think and worth pursuing!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I'm with you on this GG
Surprised that the thread didn't run for longer, back then !

We discuss all manner of things on the forum, many of which involve psychology, reverse psychology etc.

I too would be interested to know what other 'techniques' members have used that have produced unexpected results :o
Ray
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My apartment is advertised now as sleeping 4. We still have 5 beds, but it would be cramped, so I decided to market it only for 4 people. I often have families of 5 asking if we can accommodate them, and I usually state that although we have 5 beds, it is really too small. They still usually book. I have on the odd occasion just said no though, and then had a begging email back. Usually I will say no if the children are all older teenagers.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Holiday Ray wrote:I'm with you on this GG
Surprised that the thread didn't run for longer, back then !

We discuss all manner of things on the forum, many of which involve psychology, reverse psychology etc.

I too would be interested to know what other 'techniques' members have used that have produced unexpected results :o
A few years ago I had an enquiry for my smaller cottage from a disabled person; he was paralysed from the waist down as a result of a motorcycling accident. My smaller cottage is on one level but there is a step between the living area and the bedroom, the internal doorways are not wide enough for a wheelchair and the WC has no handrails. The more I tried to dissuade him from booking the more determined he became so I eventually gave in.

He arrived at Bergerac Airport flying his own small aircraft, his wife drove the hire car and she helped him in and out of it but he did everything else for himself. He was often out for “walks” in his wheelchair and twice a day he was up and down the steps to the pool. His attitude was that he wanted no special favours from anyone and he was not going to be beaten by his partial disability. He was perhaps the most determined and independent person I have ever met.

Alan
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Sounds like you did the right thing there Helen.

Would I be right in thinking that you are now more appealing to smaller groups, perhaps couples, than you were before ?

My amateur psychology take, on the reason for the groups of 5 begging for the booking, is that they feel they are getting more of a bargain if they can fit their group of 5 into an apartment that is really only big enough for 4.

Any other amateur psycologists out there have a different view.
Ray
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Sorry Alan, I posted about the same time as you, in response to Helens post .
Alan Knighting wrote: He was perhaps the most determined and independent person I have ever met.

Alan
Good for him Alan. It makes me feel really good inside, when I hear stories of people that want to just get out there and enjoy themselves regardless of any disadvantage they may have to overcome.

Nice story Alan, I hope the guy left you with some happy memories :)
Ray
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Holiday Ray wrote:Nice story Alan, I hope the guy left you with some happy memories :)
Can't you tell? He did, he made an impression on me! If he had proved to be a pain in the neck I wouldn't have said anything about him but he was just the opposite. Unfortunately he’ll never be back; for people like him each adventure is a new adventure.

Alan