Which do you prefer?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.

Which website do you prefer?

www.dioni.co.uk
80%
www.byrdir.co.uk
20%

Total votes: 10

Gwion

Which do you prefer?

Post by Gwion »

I've decided that we need the two websites that we run to look more alike. We have one website for our B&B and one for our Self Catering Properties. On occasion, when we cant accommodate a guest here at our B&B, I direct them to one of our self catering cottages and vice versa. I want to keep the two websites separate but would like a more consistent layout. I was going to do this by simply copying one to another. The only problem is I can't decide which I prefer.

I'd love to know your preferance. Plus any comments you may have in general.

http://dioni.co.uk
http://www.byrdir.co.uk
Last edited by Gwion on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hi Gwion

Not sure I can give you a clear preference, as they both have merits. I would just try to ensure that the layout reflects the business well; there's an element of it looking more like a blog than a rental business perhaps?

I picked up on quite a few spelling mistakes at a glance. "Neighbors" american spelling as opposed to neighbours, "their" should be they're on the self catering intro page. Maybe get someone to proof read for you? It's easy to overlook these things and I can see you have a very busy lifestyle!

Welcome BTW!
CSE

Post by CSE »

I was at first a bit confused as I thought the different websites were listed as links, now I see one is in the link the other in your signature.
The dioni. Website is it a listing website or all the houses you manage?
I think you should keep them separate. I could not see a way of combining the info from one or the other.
I have not voted just yet. I would like to hear some more about your projects.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

casasantoestevo wrote:I was at first a bit confused as I thought the different websites were listed as links, now I see one is in the link the other in your signature.
The dioni. Website is it a listing website or all the houses you manage?
I think you should keep them separate. I could not see a way of combining the info from one or the other.
I have not voted just yet. I would like to hear some more about your projects.
Sorry, I'd posted the wrong links. I've corrected them now. And yes, dioni includes all the houses we manage. As you say, probably best to keep them separate. I'm just trying to get a feel for which style and design people prefer.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Hands down visually I prefer the website for the cottages.
Both websites look pro and look as if they contain good and pertinent info but the extra photos on the cottages' website make it look better, more inviting and gives a good idea about the product straight away.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I also like the look/color of the dioni website better. Your farm sounds like a wonderful place to visit, a very homey feel you convey on your website, to me a good thing.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I really like the cottages / farm website. And the piglets are gorgeous.

I think you need to make sure you update your info - summer has well and truly gone, spring is on the way now.

I prefer the cottages website - I found I wanted to read the info more.

They're both good though. Pro, easy on the eyes and inviting.
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

I could do with a few more votes to get a broader seance of opinion. Please vote people.

http://dioni.co.uk seems to be the favourite, at the moment at least. I prefer the the http://www.byrdir.co.uk/ one but I suspect it's because I haven't looked at it for a while and it seems fresh to me again.

I guess this shows the importance of planning and sticking to that plan. I know when I started out I had a tendency to jump right in and start writing code like crazy. Changing my mind on the layout every day almost.

My opinion now is you should spend 50% of your time with paper and pencil, 40% of your time with a camera and 10% of your time in front of a computer.

For what it's worth etc etc.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I like the warmth of the colours in the dioni one more, I think.

BUT... the main image(?) in the dioni site (looks to be some gallery script) took an inordinate amount of time to load for me (several minutes). If that were to remain, I'd favour the byrdir one instead.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have now voted! :)
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

Nemo wrote:I have now voted! :)
Diolch!
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

kendalcottages wrote:BUT... the main image(?) in the dioni site (looks to be some gallery script) took an inordinate amount of time to load for me (several minutes). If that were to remain, I'd favour the byrdir one instead.
Worrying, I'll look into it. What browser are you using if you don't mind me asking?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Gwion wrote: Diolch!
Ah...I had to google that one. My pleasure! :wink:
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

wallypott wrote:I really like the cottages / farm website. And the piglets are gorgeous.

I think you need to make sure you update your info - summer has well and truly gone, spring is on the way now.

I prefer the cottages website - I found I wanted to read the info more.

They're both good though. Pro, easy on the eyes and inviting.
I'm supposed to be a hardened farmer. But the piglets are the cutest things ever. And full of character.

You're right of course, I need to update more often. I cant seem to do it. Anybody with any tips on how to discipline myself with regards to this. Nothing kinky now! More photos of the rooms is another regular complaint. But again. I cant seem to prioritise it. Help.

Diolch am bleidleisio.
RBQueiros

Post by RBQueiros »

Hi Gwion,

About your sites i like parts of both.

I like dioni structure but i prefer byrdir colours.

I think that green with that blue are too pale.

Hope that help!

Kind Regards