Would be fascinated to know what you all think...

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Jenni C

Would be fascinated to know what you all think...

Post by Jenni C »

Been lurking and posting the odd thing on here for years now, but never dared ask what you all think of our website before!

I've changed a few things over the last few weeks, and I know the scrolling picture at the top of the page gets stuck on my son & his classmates - I'm working on it!

Thank you in advance for anyone who has time to look...
(waits anxiously in a state of high stress, wonders if its too early for a glass of wine etc :? )
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Looks OK but just one quick comment (sorry, got to dash!)... I don't think the text works well on a bright red background.

I find that really difficult to read (and I'm still... just... in my 30s...!) :)

PS - Lovely part of the country by the way... we stayed on the Quiberon peninsula last year, and are planning a return to the same approximate area this Summer...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

kendalcottages wrote:Looks OK but just one quick comment (sorry, got to dash!)... I don't think the text works well on a bright red background.

I find that really difficult to read (and I'm still... just... in my 30s...!) :)
Same here! :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Windy

Post by Windy »

Bright red ?? You must have changed it if I'm looking at the same site. (Unless it's the orange of the booking page they are talking about??? - you have two different shades there which could look better)

It looks fab - a really nice well laid out design/ Haven't had time to inspect the content to any great degree but the layout, colours and font work really well for me. It feels a bit "wide" so it might be worth breaking the text into columns to improve readability.

Being VERY picky the photos could be a little brighter and I'd make the pictures on the Accommmodation page a bit bigger (I know you can click on them but..)

When the pane is maximised the page extends just enough to need ascroll bar. It's the same in both FF and IE so it's probably not a browser thing. This will probably be maddening to correct :-)

A very nice clean site though - well done!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Aha... re: the bright red. Background to the main text shows as bright red in Chrome. Following Windy's post above, I notice it's white in Internet Explorer.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Oh yes - so it is - hmmm.
Jenni C

Post by Jenni C »

Thank all of you. Some interesting points. Panicked slightly about the red background, photos, yes, I think we could have better ones - its one of those things isn't it that when its empty and you have a free hour the light is rubbish, but I'd like a few more on as well as improving the existing ones...
KC the kettle is always on if you are down this way again - co-incidentally I know your neck of the woods quite well too, born & brought up in Yorkshire!
Appreciate your feedback & time, am expecting a bit more negative still....
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thank you, Jenni. Your place looks much nicer than where we ended up staying and the one week you have left in the summer is around the time we'll be going...

*HOWEVER* we promised our boys that we would camp this year. Probably less relaxing for us, but a lot of fun for them no doubt. I'm struggling with finding the perfect campsite so would welcome any advice if you have any inside knowledge on that front. Looking for something that's not too big that it's heaving, and not too small that it's not got a pool, a few slides and plenty to entertain the children. Don't mind paying extra for a good site... correction, I'd rather! :)

Sorry, I digress... don't want to distract from your thread, so feel free to PM or message me on Facebook. :oops:

Re: the red... don't know if you have Chrome but here's what I get:

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I was looking at your site the other day, Jenni, and liked it. Especially the photos you can click on to enlarge them (something I need to sort out on my site!). The photos looked a bit haphazard though, maybe the arrangement could be tidier.
The text was just about OK for me to read and the background was white in FF - the only thing is there is quite a lot of it on the homepage which looks as though it should be filled with other things (perhaps more photos/visitors comments?)
I didn't much like the Facebook or wifi logos down the side, but that is just personal.
I don't think the 'things to do' page is that great - the photos are very small and I'm sure you can sell your beautiful area better - especially with lots of beach photos - at the moment there is only one!
What do you use for the photo enlargement btw? Does it come with the website design?
One more thing that Clive brought up for another review recently - have you thought about adding a favicon? It does help people remember sites, I'm sure.
Jenni C

Post by Jenni C »

Thanks again to everyone who has commented. I've not ignorantly disappeared, I want to have a look at sorting a couple of the things out & I'll be back. (plus it's "drive-around-from-one-activity-to-another-like-an-idiot-Wednesday!") :roll:
lorca

Post by lorca »

Very nice site (apart from the red which hurts my eyes!)

I particularly like the news section, which adds a blog like element and helps keep it fresh.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

It's red in Safari too, and with the light coloured font, I couldn't read it without a great struggle. Potential guests will be off somewhere else. :cry:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Beautiful site, all pages were in white with IE.

More photos on the Activities page would be nice, perhaps a bit larger pre click on for the larger size.

Didn't see a map with your approximate location on it, I always like to see those personally. So I do recommend you add it, I happen to know where Brittany is but many Americans may not... also, speaking as someone that loves to go to France and Italy, I like it when they let me know how to get there, trains, etc..

Great info and easy to navigate, congratulations for such a full calendar!

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Jenni C

Post by Jenni C »

Right, have had a chance to do a few bits...
LV I LOVE my Favicon! Hadn't a clue about them before, read through your previous posts and voila, all faviconed up now. Brilliant, thank you!
Wendy I've ummed and ahhed about a map for a while, will look into something suitable in a bit more detail after your comments. Thanks.
Hopefully all browsers should show it in white now, no more eye-watering red background.
The photos have become my "elephant in the corner"! Every day I try and get around to taking some/resizing them/jiggling them all around and putting them on. Every day I find something else to do, but I expect I'll get there eventually....

Really appreciate everyones input, thank you again for your time...
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Jenni C wrote:Hopefully all browsers should show it in white now, no more eye-watering red background...
Ahhhh yes... much better. 8)