dishwasher

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Paul Carmel

dishwasher

Post by Paul Carmel »

We've never had a dishwasher (that's my job) and know nothing about them at all, but are seriously thinking that these days people expect there to be one. Do you agree? And have any of you got any tips on what to look/go for? Do you leave tablets or whatever they use for people or expect them to buy their own? We currently leave washing-up liquid, but we don't leave washing powder for the machine as we figured some people have allergies etc.
Any thoughts on this dull topic?! (I'm full of them tonight,)
Cheers
PC
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I think the question of whether people expect a dishwasher may go by continent...

I would wager that most people who travel to Europe from the US are accustomed to dishwashers and would be very pleased to see one. I'm not so sure about Europeans, but then perhaps it depends on the price range of the accomodation.

As to the make and model, I wouldn't buy anything really complicated, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to spend money on a good appliance. I think the ideal dishwasher in a holiday rental would be able to take dishes with large particles of food stuck/dried on them and transform them into gleaming like-new pieces. But it should only take a couple of buttons to turn it on.

In our place, we have a very good dishwasher, and the most common buttons are marked with hot-pink nail lacquer. :) It does get used quite a lot, and it makes our cleaner's job a bit easier, too. I believe our dishwasher is a Bosch model, but it may be Miele... I don't recall, but it was expensive, as dishwashers go.
Brooke
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I think most people expect a dishwasher.Most of us have them at home and wouldn't want to have to wash up on holiday! I leave the tablets and rinse aid as I don't want it using without! I always fill the machine with salt before each rental.I leave Calgon tabs for the washing machine for the same reason- I don't want it using without them.I leave washing liquid and conditioner as well. :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh, yes, thank you Fraise! I forgot:

We do provide tablets for the dishwasher, plus liquid for hand-washing, plus also tablets for the clothes washer. The reason: if I were on vacation from a far away land, I wouldn't want to have to buy all that stuff. Having it provided would be one of those extras that would make me appreciate the property even more.

Paul, you make a good point that some people may be allergic to certain detergents, but in that case I don't think it's crazy to expect them to purchase or bring their own.
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I wonder if it also partly depends on occupancy of the rental for dishwasher expectations? Lily Cottage sleeps 4 but I'd say about 50% of the time there is just a couple there. We've no dishwasher and had no complaints/comments re this but plenty of re-bookings. I think if the place slept 6 though I'd seriously consider one.

The only complaints I've had re lack of equipment are 1. No potato peeler and 2. No tea strainer!! I think it cost about £2 to remedy both requests.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,
I think the question of whether people expect a dishwasher may go by continent...
Some people expect a dishwasher, some people are excited by a dishwasher. Either way I think they are essential.

I top up the salt and the rinse aid at each hand-over. I leave Calgon tablets. The microscopic minority who have an allergy to cleanliness can always hand-wash if they wish.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Our houses sleeping 8 & 12 have dishwashers, but not the one sleeping 4 (same as Sue, there is usually a couple with or without young children). There isn't room for one in this cottage, although we could swap the washing machine for one, but young families seem to like the washing machine - either way, we've never had any complaints.
I agree with Sue, 6+ and a dishwasher is a must - although I had a family last year of 9 in one house last year and they never used the dishwasher to do the washing-up, they said that was what they had brought along the kids to do!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

We provide a dishwasher for accommodation which sleeps 4 (& 6) but not for the Studio for 2. We provide dishwasher tablets plus soap for the washing machine.
Does everyone provide a dryer as well as a washing machine? I think that Americans find this as essential as the washing machine.
Best,
Alexia.
gh

Post by gh »

Hi PC,

Hmmm looks like your going shopping. My vote is with the yes party. Another thing to think about is crockery and cutlery, will there be enough to use when the dishwasher is on?
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

worth saying that dishwashers are ecologically sound. Wash up once a week instead of 3 times per day ?

And, virtually every Scandinavian dwelling has one : even studios.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"will there be enough to use when the dishwasher is on?"

The French gite organisation used to require 3 sets of cutlery per person. We provide this and tons of china, glasses etc - visitors are always delighted and often write to thank me for being so generous with kitchen equipment. One guest this summer said that the kitchen was better equipped than her own - this obviously surprised her.
Best,
Alexia.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

None of you mentioned the other advantage of a dishwasher - you get less damage to crockery and it stays pristine.

We laugh about our inherited plates and glasses from my in-laws - they are collectables other than the fact that almost all have a chip. My father-in-law was a great one for knocking them on the taps!

We probably all remember coffee mugs pre-dishwashers. Nasty brown stain around the bottom. These days they look as if you've just bought them even if they are several years old.

John
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I didn't know a triple set was required - I thought a double set of cutlery was requiredand for our house sleeping 12 a double set seems to be more than adequate (+ dishwaasher). I don't provide a tumble dryer, but I do provide washing lines and indoor clothes horses. There is a tumble dryer which is not advertised which I would be happy to put on if it rained more than 2 days consecutively, which even here in Brittany it doesn't. It has to be said that I don't get many American guests, mainly British and French. Personally, I never use a tumble dryer and I do all the laundry for the gites myself. It is possible to live without a tumble dryer (as long as you don't mind stiff towels :) )
John, you are right about the stains - I have to put the crockery in our little cottage through our diswasher a few times a year to get rid of the tea!!
gh

Post by gh »

alexia s. wrote:The French gite organisation used to require 3 sets of cutlery per person. We provide this and tons of china, glasses etc - visitors are always delighted and often write to thank me for being so generous with kitchen equipment. One guest this summer said that the kitchen was better equipped than her own - this obviously surprised her.
Hmmm PC do you like shopping?

cromercrabholiday
That made me laugh :lol: I remember those taps sooo well. :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We do have a tumble dryer at the property -- being Americans, we definitely consider it essential.

That is not to say that all Americans have dryers, because they certainly don't -- just that Americans who can afford/want to go on a vacation in Europe generally do have dryers (and dishwashers).

Not that this is related either, but does everyone have a dutch oven at their property? We had one from a Le Creuset, and it disappeared. We haven't replaced it yet, as it was very expensive... and we're hoping to find a cheaper one that still works as intended, but then we're also not sure it's necessary.
Brooke