dishwasher

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
A-two

Post by A-two »

Dishwasher is essential here. We bought the cheapest model available, same for washing machine and dryer because I figured the more expensive they are, the more complicated they are to use. Even so, we had one family who claimed it was not working this year after having set it to cold wash. I think we paid $90 for it, a Frigidaire.

We provide all washing liquids, in tablet form for the dishwasher, but no rinse. I have an allergy to detergent, so have to be very careful about products I use, everything from soap, shampoo to washing liquid. I buy for the rental house what I buy for myself, (except the toiletries). I'm sure this is very much appreciated by those with a similar problem to myself.

For the washing machine, it's a liquid from the cash and carry that is unscented, or says "allergy tested", "dermatologist recommended", most brands have one available, I rotate them as available. I do not provide or use any fabric conditioner at all because that is the most likely culprit for anyone with sensitive skin. Anyway, they do not make fabric conditioners here for people with sensitive skin. I do leave a powder stain remover called "Oxyclean" which is added to the wash, as I found those tenants who were kindly washing white bath towels were not getting them clean without the additional chemicals.

Occasionally, I find small bottles of different brands left behind, especially by those with infants who buy special baby washes. These are left for others to use.
Waves from America
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Dutch oven? No!!!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Er . . .my understanding of 'dutch oven' is something to do with duvets and flatulence, and an understanding partner . ..please explain!

Well we're off to the shops tomorrow, obviously we must have a dishwasher (we sleep up to 8), and if it prolongs the life of crockery etc then so much the better. On that score I think we're ok & don't need to buy extra (well for 2 per person anyway), we have lots of serving dishes, bowls etc as well, and no one's complained yet.

Fluffy, a bit concerned . . .how excited can someone get about a dishwasher, is there something you want to tell us about? Or have I just been missing something in life?
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alexia,
Does everyone provide a dryer as well as a washing machine? I think that Americans find this as essential as the washing machine.
As the original "Fluffy" what else could I say but - YES?

Alan
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,
Fluffy, a bit concerned . . .how excited can someone get about a dishwasher, is there something you want to tell us about? Or have I just been missing something in life?
I'm not hiding any sinister little secrets. It’s just that some people get “excited� when they use something for the first time.

Mind you, none of these things should be too difficult to use. I remember on one occasion being berated by a university professor because the washing machine wouldn’t work. On close examination of the offending article it transpired he was quite unaware of the existence of or the function of an on/off switch. He was also quite unaware of the phrase “Sorry, I made a mistake�. He must have been “excited� once he had mastered the innermost mysteries of such a machine – it remained in use for the whole of his stay.

Alan
Ju

Post by Ju »

Paul,

I agree with the other posters, more than 4 people and a dishwasher is a must.

I can highly recommend the Bosch/seimens brand. We have these in all our properties and are very pleased with them. For ourselves we decided to splash out and buy a Meile, which are supposed to be the best on the market. Well, three years,two repairs and a rather worrying burning smell later, it is now sitting in our kitchen taking up space, whilst we do the washing up by hand. Maybe I'll get my OH a new one for christmas! (he is looking over my shoulder and pointing out that it is he who does the washing up around here).

In terms of detergent We always leave detergent for both the washing machine and the dishwasher, but we use liquid and not tablets in the dishwasher. It stops the smoking that you get on glasses sometimes and gives a better result.

We have a tumble dryer in one property, but not the others. This is the property we try to direct our out of season guests to. In season I don't think a dryer is needed, and can be expensive on electricity usage.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"It stops the smoking that you get on glasses"
I didn't know that - thank you!!!!!
Best,
Alexia.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you one and all for your input :D Looks like we going to shops today...........joy of joys!
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Fluffy - on the subject of tumble driers, what do you do with all that lovely lint that comes out when you empty the filter?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jane,

I'm sure there must be some way of re-cycling the lint but I use the poubelle. Naughty me?

Ju,

We had a Seimens dish-washer for a number of years in the UK and we have had the same model here in France for six years. Excellent! Very effective, dead simple to use and totally reliable; they even tell you when you have run out of salt and rinse-aid. In the lettings they are Philips - same comments.

Fluffy/Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

No, Alan, not naughty. I just thought it might join your fluff collection.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Paul, a dutch oven is essentially a big, heavy pot. They're often made of cast iron. The good ones heat very evenly and the lid makes a tight seal, so they're for cooking things on low heat for a long time, such as stews...
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Stews - no, NO!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jane Bennett wrote:No, Alan, not naughty. I just thought it might join your fluff collection.
From now on I will keep all lint in the hope of finding you in there one day. We could have fun, fluffy-wise!

By the way, why is it that all lint is a light lavendar colour? What do goats like to eat most? I thought it was thistles.

I'm with you. I don't like stew. It's just like poo. "The Navy get's the gravy, the Army get's the beans" - give me the beans anyday.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Fluffy, you say the nicest things ...

Yes, you're quite right about lint - why IS it always lavender? Anyone know?!

I don't mind a well made stew, but not if goat figures in the list of ingredients.

Thistles? Mmm, they're a little tough on the palate for me, and get stuck between my teeth!