First Eviction........

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

It's the government that decided a couple of years ago that the payment goes direct to the tenant, one of the reasons was that it would make them more 'responsible'. Most councils can get it paid directly to the owner if the tennant is more than 8 weeks in arrears. I think they are re-thinking these rules now as in practice it hasn't worked properly!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Yes we had the same problem - rent paid on time to my agent when it came direct from the council but as soon as the rules changed & they paid it to the tenant who them had to pass it to the agent it all went wrong. Took months for my agent to get them back on track but in the end through constant nagging from the agent they are now model tenants. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use the tenant as a middle man want shooting!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well the eviction date was yesterday, and theyve gone[thank goodness] I did wonder if theyd refuse to go and then Id had to go to court etc.
The place is an absolute tip and theres some furniture left,beds etc.and a washing machine and a shed full of stuff/crap. She's also left me with the washing up to do ,which was a bit of a shock as I thought that initially meant they were still there.:shock:

The owe me a few thousand, and after getting some of the rent from the council for a few weeks that stopped, because of course when she wasnt getting any benefit from it, she stopped applying for it.
They kept asking her to go in and sort it out, of course she didnt, and so they didnt send any more to me........

Also something to be aware of, when you issue eviction notices, It has to be 2 months from the date when the rents due. So I ended up having to give her nearly 3 months notice.
Which is annoying as the owed so much rent and also had moved a dog in...which was against our T and Cs.

Another niggle is that they havent left the keys so will have to change the locks.
I have been trying to contact them, to try to arrange to pick up the keys. But they havent been there the last few weeks, and havent answered my letters phone calls etc.

But actually Im pretty relieved..that its over, and will soon put it all behind me, onwards and upwards and all that.

Thanks for the lovely messages and pms Ive received, while this has been going on, much appreciated!!

Take Care Love Rosxx
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Martha wrote:these people's life will be its own reward, just as all the friends and happiness that surrounds you is yours.
They have treated you terribly Ros, and it makes me seethe to think about it. Martha is spot on. I am so glad it's nearly behind you now - "just" the clean-up process to go.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Big Sis

Well done for going through with it all. Its such a nightmare to deal with it that it's tempting to just hope it will go away all on its own.

Well done for being brave and fronting up to it. Such a relief in the long run.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Really glad to hear this episode is over Ros - stress nobody needs and you certainly don't deserve.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well done Ros, horrible thing to have to go through I can imagine but you're over the worst of it now and as you say, onwards and upwards! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
enid

Post by enid »

Not a nice experience at all - glad it's over for you
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We had several seriously nasty tenants when we rented a pretty cottage in the UK. The last ones trashed the place so badly after we'd been compelled to (eventually) evict them for non-payment that we were forced to gut the house, restore it and sell it - enough was enough.

That some tenants will take every opportunity to cheat you in whatever devious ways they can devise seems par for the course. But it's the hatred and spite that they display towards you and your property that is the real killer.

Ros - can only sympathise - hope you get nicer tenants next time!

Jim
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Sorry to read of your trials and tribulations Ros, I missed this thread totally before (the day job has been full on recently) but I'm glad the worst of it is behind you - onwards and upwards! x
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
lorca

Post by lorca »

tree-peony wrote:Sorry to read of your trials and tribulations Ros, I missed this thread totally before
Me too Ros -really unpleasant for you, especially as (typically :wink: ) you´d gone out of your way to be helpful. Really glad it´s over though.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well done Ros. Not nice for anyone to do, but especially a lovely landlord like you! I'm a firm believer in karma - what goes around comes around - so just clear up, move on and you will reap your rewards. :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks All !!!you are soooo nice, and it really does help!!:)

Keeping this in perspective, as I said early on, weve never had a bit of trouble in any of the properties in all the years weve had them.
So been pretty lucky really, and if we hadnt bought the houses and rented them, we wouldnt have been able to later buy the Houses in Spain..... and then Id never have met you lovely lot would I !! :wink: :D

Anyway we all learn from times like this dont we, and it makes you stronger and more able to cope with other stuff as it comes your way.
Im not put off by this I know 99% of people are nice...

It could have been worse!!! I could have had Michael Keaton in the basement...now THATS scarey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljz8qxUQ ... re=related :shock:

Watched this the other night, and thought, well you got off lightly :)
Windy

Post by Windy »

:-)

Glad it's sorted Ros.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well It makes you smile[not] had lots of overdue bills for them they owe Electric, Gas and, Water......
but the latest one takes the biscuit 2 electrical items for £975 and £271..... :shock:
The company have now offered them easy payment options!!

Well I think theyve took the even easier payment option.... and scarpered. :roll: taking the items with them of course.....
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sat May 07, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.