Stay close to Colosseum in March

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
Beachcondo

Stay close to Colosseum in March

Post by Beachcondo »

My 8 year old son is head over heals about Colosseum, so I plan to surprise him with a visit to Rome March 17-19.

Anyone has a small apartment close by to offer, or know a good website to look for this?

I have already looked at homeaway and vrbo, but would like a bit more to choose from, since most will not rent that short.

Thanks!

Marie-Louise
Tartuffa

Post by Tartuffa »

What a wonderful idea!

I'm sorry that I can't recommend a place personally but do be aware that March 17th is a public holiday here - to celebrate the 150th anniversary of unification. People I know here have been quite 'beh' about this but Rome may be even more booked than usual so get your skates on for a booking! To be honest Rome is quite walkable, so anywhere in the Centro Storico would be fine, and there is both a metro stop and a red open-top tourist bus stop right there.

Do you have the Ancient Rome book for kids? It's a guide book for kids by Parisi.

Buon divertimento.
We are in Sulmona in the beautiful Abruzzo region of central Italy.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Thank you Tartuffa!
It was a surprise that the 17th is a holiday in Italy.
The dates were picked because my son is off from school that day and I figured that it would be better to just have one day to ask for a leave and that way we could avoid the busy weekend - much good that did! :roll:

I will absolutely check on the kids book to Colisseum and will try to get hold of a Swedish speaking guide. I have been there a couple of times but without someone telling me the interesting things.

Do you have some good restaurants to recommend as well?

Marie-Louise
Tartuffa

Post by Tartuffa »

Ummm. Where do I start? The Jewish quarter is good, as is Trastevere, for just wandering around and picking a restaurant for the look of it (it's all good) and maybe 'Gusto' on Via di Ripetta for something different. Just steer clear of anything that has a sign saying 'menu turistico' as they are more likely to rip you off. Rome does have a sort of tourists' charter now but it's still easy to fall foul of those who prey on vulnerable foreigners.
We are in Sulmona in the beautiful Abruzzo region of central Italy.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Yes, ever since I happened to stumble into a very small restaurant where you had to be a member to dine, I have loved Trastevere.
Too much grappa and poetry on French (NOT my strong area - neither poetry nor French, that is) - but oh what a night!

But it was gone on my last trip a couple of years ago. :cry: