Am I being paranoid?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Normandy Cow

Am I being paranoid?

Post by Normandy Cow »

If I received this a year ago I would have answered immediately, but as a seasoned "laymyhatter" it set my alarm bells ringing. Am I being paranoid?

dear sir/madam i am hoping to bring some hand made award winning chutneys,jams, curds and marmalades to rouen market and would like to know how far you are from rouen, as i would like a base , your cottage looks beautiful.january 2006 is the plan yours sincerely

(editted by Catherine - removed the email address, see my reply on 15/12 further down)
Last edited by Normandy Cow on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Catherine, does he give a UK phone number? You could 147 then call, as you'd get a clearer picture by speaking to him. If he's a scammer, then he's a scammer with a jolly inventive mind, as this is almost too unusual an inquiry not to be legit. Are you far from Rouen?

I think I'd respond, but with caution. Keep us posted.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I am with Jane on this one, It could be genuine, but I would air on the side of caution.
Cheers
PC
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

It can't be for real!!!!
Can it.......?
Best,
Alexia.
spbowman

Post by spbowman »

Pop the e-mail address into a Google search. Interesting finds. Obviously no proof, but would further raise my suspicions.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Horse-racer makes jam??????
Best,
Alexia.
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

I don't understand - what on earth could be the scam?
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
marcus

Post by marcus »

I don't reckon it's a scam, just someone being chatty.
I'd carry on as with any other enquiry until he starts talking about Western Union or Nigeria.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I think it's a joke. A Christmas joke? Maybe your jam-maker has a web-site (for jam): worth asking?
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I thought it sounded possible.I would have proceeded,albeit with caution.
chris mooney

scam, jam or chutney??

Post by chris mooney »

on a slight tangent i know..my plan for next year is to give all my guests a jar of homemade jam ,chutney or pickle made by me as i have orchards of fruit in my garden...anyone done anything similar...nice gesture or not??
chris
adventuruos chef about to embark on the his french culinary extraveganza!!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I think that's a lovely idea Chris - an unusual bit of PR which will stick (pardon pun!) in their minds.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I leave out pretty (& expensive) little jars of jam for each arrival and not one has ever, ever been opened. Any ideas on why this could be?
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I did that at first too,with the same result.The equivalent toiletry items I leave do get used though :?
www.thepetitmanoir.com
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks for all your comments....

As advised, I conacted him to fish for a little more info and asked for his phone number which he subsequently emailed back (landline!). So I called him, and yes it does sound extremely plausible. He lives in Yorkshire and makes jams, chutneys, biscuits etc which he sells at farmers markets, and he is looking to expand and try to start selling his wares in France. He is currently grappling with the French burocracy before he can start selling, so he is not yet sure when in January he will be able to come, so we have left it that he will contact me again when his plans are a little firmer.

He sounded really nice and I feel a little guilty now for having doubted his original email. Hope he doesn't read laymyhat! (John - if you ever read this, I apologise for having doubted you!). :oops: