Will booking a holiday home always be the same?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
mitchellbryson

Will booking a holiday home always be the same?

Post by mitchellbryson »

Inspired by this post I wanted to get peoples opinion on the future of holiday home bookings.

in my honest opinion I would like to be able to book a holiday home as easy as I can a hotel, because most of the time they are a better and sometimes cheaper option. At the moment I can't and that's off-putting. But that's just me, albeit many others may want the same convenience.

I'd be interested to hear what other owners have to say about what they want from an automated booking system i.e. ways to keep it personal, stay in control of the entire process (deposits, refunds, cancellations e.t.c.). And more importantly, how do we mitigate the risk of letting 'unknowns' book a stay in our homes.

It's probably part of the process that is overlooked because it's just nice to be able to get the bookings in, in the first place! :) But I imagine if it's done right, it could save a lot of time doing the admin, and give us more time to spend with guests and fulfilling their needs?
brenda

Post by brenda »

We are B+B accommodation not a Holiday Home.

I do not want to go down the automated booking route - IMO personal contact with my Guests prior to arrival is one of the most important aspects in ensuring that they have a great stay.
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

I agree with Brenda. I do not want to go down the automated route either.

Personal contact allows me to make sure that my property is suitable for my guests - and just as important - that they are suitable for my property.

A hotel is a hotel...but a holiday home is a home...and that is why I personally want control over my bookings.
Last edited by Eileen2 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't want or need automated bookings, but I can understand why a lot of guests would prefer it. I have so many emails thanking me for my prompt response that it makes me think that some owners must take days to answer enquiries. I also have a very easy online payment system, which is instant, no need to visit the bank to do transfers or send cheque. It must be incredibly frustrating if you want to book somewhere and you can't book or pay the deposit quickly.
If I did go the automated route, I would definitely want the option of the guest being able to enquire still before booking (which I understand Helen B's system does). And I wouldn't want to pay commission, and if the system took credit card payment I wouldn't pay any more commission than my existing credit card system takes (0,45%)
domino

Post by domino »

I enjoy the time spent conversing with my potential guests. I dont feel automation of the booking process would give me more time with my guests, the opposite would be true.
I agree with Eileen and Brenda 100%, we are able to offer a service to our guests that is quite different to that of hotels.
Each holiday home is unique (as are the owners) so, in response to Mitchells post, its never going to be as 'easy' as booking a hotel room.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Having an online booking system DOES NOT exclude personal contact. I've had one for 5 years, it is used to book by 100% of my guests but only about 5% of those will not contact me first.
They still have questions they would like answered first, and of course I use the opportunity to ask more about them.
Of the remaining 5%, none have been 'unsuitable' . Even if they do contact you first, they are still 'unknown'.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Automated booking system? No, no and no!! :lol:

I am thinking about my guests' needs as much as my own. I make sure my guests benefit from the deal-direct model - except, as LV pointed out, that people have to pay by cheque, bank transfer or PayPal in our case. That is a bit of a pain but heck, it's not that long ago since people had no choice but to do it that way.

Perhaps your market differs a little Helen, and people are either familiar with your resort or are aware of its great reputation, are happy not to be hand-held if new to skiing and do their own research etc etc etc. However we're in rural France, in a region where where many of our guests have not visited. If they are bringing up to 8 people of varying ages for a two-week holiday in most cases (certainly in the summer) this is a big commitment so they really do need to know if they are making the right choice. Sometimes the property may not be appropriate for a particular group; at least by not having an on line booking system they have a better chance of finding out before making an expensive mistake.

As others have said too, I make no bones about the fact that having the contact with all guests gives me greater peace of mind too! Yes I agree, we still have our disappointments - so maybe it's an illogical and emotional reaction but I want to be in total control of my business and not simply in control some of the time. If we had bought the property as a business proposition pure and simple, my view would be different - but I don't think we would have gone that route so it's academic.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I would like access to an automated booking system, but I also want customer contact. My houses are my babies (well I have those too, but you know what I mean). I am on site for two of them, and with changes in the law etc I would need to know if people did not respect my t&cs. The two gites at home are in the same building so one lot could upset the other, esp with dogs or pets now coming into the equation.

As a consumate internet shopper myself there are times when I just want to get something ticked off my list, and I can see for clients like that the automated system would be ideal. But it can't sell the properties like I do.

Like most here I do reply within minutes normally, so I don't think an automated system would necessarily be quicker, but it would make payment quicker. Also I dont think I have ever sent an automated email without tweaking it a little bit. Adding something, removing something. As I get better at it, I am always adding new potential attachments that I can add or not, depending on the customer profile. I use e-Richards PIMS, and honestly if it had a nearly free payment facility (and if I could log into it on my blackberry!) it would be near perfect for me.

Paypal is just too expensive although I do use it, fortunately not too often.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Like others I love the direct contact with guests and I also get lots of people thanking me for my quick response. But I also work hard at putting all the information people need onto our website so that they can book immediately (not instant) if they want to, so I am also happy to have an instant system in future to cater for those people. As for commission, if you simply regard it as a results based replacement for paying up front, I still cannot really see the problem - unless you get zillions of bookings for little effort and money. I wish!
mitchellbryson

Post by mitchellbryson »

I''m on both sides as I agree it's completely different to a hotel, but still should be convenient for as many people as possible. What about automating the boring stuff like availability checking, recording the guests information, payments and arrival dates etc. but there could still be an open channel of communication (email or phone) and they still get instructions to meet you there to handover the keys etc
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Good topic title, mitchellbryson.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that instant on-line bookings is going to grow substantially. Its just part of the growth of the self-catering sector, which is taking business away from hotels and packages and brings with it an expectation from the new types of guest.

Its a new market. Definitely new guests and possibly new owners too.

But, there will always be a place for the personal touch as well, and I think HelenB's model is the paradigm for the future. I'll bet that over the next 2-3 years, where Helen says "only about 5% of those will not contact me first" that number of 5% will increase.

I believe its the guests who will drive this and not us owners, so I pose a question for those owners who are anti-automation:
How often have you refused a booking as a result of initial personal contact ?

I believe that we'll learn new ways to build relationships with our guests in the immediate post booking phase, that the personal touches will prevail and the advantages of booking direct with owner vs agency will manifest themselves in a different way.

I'll put my money where my mouth is too. For a number of years, I've resisted adding instant bookings to my Management System, but in 2011 it will be an OPTION.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

e-richard wrote:I pose a question for those owners who are anti-automation:
Good question, and the answer has to be never, but there have been the very occasional enquirers who have not subsequently gone ahead and booked, and I have been relieved!

Illogical as it may sound, for reassurance I still need to have that personal contact from Go, and whatever you say dear Richard, that view won't change over time I promise!

Control freak - moi??
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

e-richard wrote: I pose a question for those owners who are anti-automation:
Another question:
How many potential bookings have you never received because you didn't have an online booking system..............?

(Coming from someone who doesn't have an online booking system, but who is seriously considering Helen's model.)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GB, not sure that is a question that can be easily answered.But, I have chosen to stay elsewhere on a couple of occasions, because complying with the owners payment conditions proved difficult.
Getting to a bank in my job is not easy,and I often work on Saturdays too, Having to drive to an open branch, queue to make an international transfer, and getting back to work on time, is almost impossible.
Bob Apt

Post by Bob Apt »

.....and a variation on the last question.....
How many enquiries have you not got because you were not automated >>>>

from the end of term, let your hair down party of twelve ?

Easier to move on to the automatic booking, with no risk of verbal contact or awkward questions perhaps...

Bob