Comments please on www.nossvoss.co.uk

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
baltipine

Comments please on www.nossvoss.co.uk

Post by baltipine »

Hello,

I'd be interested in your comments on our website for our 3 bedroom holiday cottage in South West Devon, not far from Plymouth.

www.nossvoss.co.uk

We have been holiday letting for a few years now with very patchy results.

A few years ago it was mainly families with small (pre school) children but more recently it has tended towards one or two couples taking off peak weeks - as you can see we have yet to take a firm booking for the school summer holidays!!

The main selling points are the proximity to the pub (can be a minus too) and proximity to the water.

Most of the enquiries we get are:
a) is week xxx available and how much is it?
2) I know you don't take pets but can I bring my (small, short haired and well behaved) dog?

Thanks folks....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I've had a quick look. I don't see on the first page how many bedrooms it has, which is fairly vital information for your guests to understand the suitability for them.

Your interior photos don't do the property justice. The place needs "dressing". Flowers, dinner place settings etc all make the place look inviting. Your guests wants to picture themselves in the home enjoying their holiday. They do not want to see the toaster, microwave, washbasins, toilets etc!

More exterior/location shots would help too I think.

You've come to the right place though. There is masses here to read and if you follow the advice, I'm sure you will be able to improve your bookings!
Holiday Golfer

Post by Holiday Golfer »

Initial comments are:

- You've given prominence to the text "55 Noss Mayo" what is that? I'd suggest it would be better as "Fantastic 3 Bed Rental Property with views across the Yealm Estuary"

- The lead image on the Home Page is a bit weak considering what you have in the Location section. These look fantastic so I'd suggest using one of those on the Site Home Page to really 'grab' visitors to your site

- Interior pictures are not very flattering (perhaps needs a couple of professional shots - you can get photographers who normally work for estate agents reasonably cheaply at the moment!)

- The videos are counter-productive. Much better would be a still from the last segment (which is generally impressive) with a caption saying something like "20 paces from the front door!"

All in all, the property looks fantastic but I don't think you're 'selling' it strongly enough.

Hope that helps.
another golf holiday!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The page is centered to the left which looks a bit odd on my widescreen. I think it would look better in the centre.
The text has big gaps in it and the photos look untidy as they are not evenly spaced, but at least you have kept to one font so that is tidy.
As Nemo said, you don't say how many bedrooms there are which would be useful (it sleeps 6 people, but where?)
I don't think the photos do your place either, some dressing is definitely needed to make it more cosy and invitine and perhaps you could get rid of the photo of the dishwasher, washing machine and microwave, list them by all means, but a photo isn't required! I'm sure there are other nicer things you can put on the site.
Perhaps a little more text would sell your house and the area better. It is quite basic and if you added more description I'm sure it would be more attractive to visitors.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I just went back to have another look and then watched some of the videos. :shock:

What are they? When I watch the first one, the walk to the quay, which really does you no favours, I then see there are a further 15 to choose from - wife in her hat, jw getting air on speed boat? Are these your personal holiday videos? They truly have no place on your site. Sorry to be so negative but I think as Holiday Golfer says they detract from what you are offering.

Your house has a family history, which I personally like, but perhaps you could use that information in an about us page? How about a name for your property? No 53 evokes a trendy contemporary feel, which is not what your cottage is about at all.
baltipine

Post by baltipine »

Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone - it's really interesting!

The number of bedrooms should be right up there - I had never noticed it wasn't! The only excuse is that most people come there from our Google adwords that specifies it's got 3 bedrooms!

Regarding the videos that are offered after watching ours - they are all suggested by YouTube who serve the video content. I think the only link is that they share at least one key word with our videos. They have no other link with us whatsoever. I have to say I agree that the videos should go but we did get one booking from somebody who said they laughed so much they just had to book the place!

We had discussed using a name for the house but decided that "53 Noss Mayo" is a rather quaint address as it is just the house number and the village - having no street name confuses nearly all web sites and makes buying things mail order almost impossible! It obviously doesn't come over like that to others.

My ramblings above are not intended to justify the website as it stands but just to try and explain some of it. That's why having a review section like this is so helpful!

We will have to give the site a bit of a refresh as soon as we can!

Cheers....
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

hi,

hate to appear negative, but it looks like you have a great home in a fantastic location and you are not doing it full justice! As mentioned above, I would try for better interior shots that capture the whole room (i.e. as you would see it when you walk in) rather than smaller aspects of the room and perhaps include a 'taster' of the great views from them.

Also, I would seriously review the videos - look at a way to host them that does not involve YouTube and their linked selections (you don't know what it will bring up - smut, distastful or even, heaven forbid, other rental properties in the same area!). Also, for your walk to the pier - take a tip from the professionals and get someone to guide you so you can focus on showing the scenery and not (as it looks) on watching where you are stepping.

Hope this is not too harsh but, as I say, it looks like you have a place well worth promoting, so show it to its best.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Hello, beautiful spot you have! Here are a few comments/questions.

1. Why do you have links to other places to stay on your links page? If you own them I understand but if not I wouldn't help my competitors that much :)

2. Totally agree with the other comments about your photos on your Rooms page, make sure the toilet seat cover is down if it must be in the photo... you have a lovely place and could really sell it with better photos.

3.What is the difference between "booked" and "reserved" they have different colors (the red was rather glaring on my screen kind of neon)

4. I really like all the outside pictures with the water and boats except for the one with the mud. Not appealing to me but it could just be me too...

I hope these comments help, I really like the looks of your cottage and think you could sell it much better and get more bookings with just a few tweaks of your website.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Here are a few more thoughts:
I do not like the panorama. It looks like a load of photos taken on different days spliced together. I use a paid programme but maybe try this free one to see if the results are better.
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
I do like the shots of the signs. I bet there are some other photogenic locations you can add to a photo gallery.

I have not looked at the technical side of this site yet as I cannot type so well today; so my report here is short.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Nemo wrote:Your guests wants to picture themselves in the home enjoying their holiday. They do not want to see the toaster, microwave, washbasins, toilets etc!
One of the lessons I learned at a recent H-R summit:
NEVER show the toilet
and
NEVER NEVER NEVER the toiled lid lifted!!! :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
baltipine

Post by baltipine »

Wendy, I'll answer your questions:
1) the links are to the advertisers like Owners Direct and they will only allow us to have a link to our own website in our listing if we put a link to theirs.
2) OK point taken!
3) booked is what it says - deposit paid. Reserved is the couple of days between somebody emailing or phoning & saying "I will take that week please" and the deposit arriving.
4) I'm never sure about showing the mud. The place does look better when the tide is in but it is out for some of the time. That's the reality - I want to be honest with people and not imply that the water is there all the time! Perhaps the world of advertising isn't for me! :oops:

Thanks again everyone!
"The true test of intelligence is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do."

http://www.nossvoss.co.uk
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Sorry to seem to be piling it on with point number 2!

Totally understand about the mud picture situation... hard to know what to do. If this was my place what I may think through in deciding this would be is if my cottage overlooked this particular spot where the mud is? If so then I would show it, if it is just one part of the larger area I wouldn't feel obligated to show the mud. It's not like we have to disclose all unpleasantries that may be in our areas, there are bugs, weeds, etc.. that simply occur in our world that we have no control over so if it's not your view or is the situation for the water in your area I don't think I'd advertise it. Everyone should know about tides (I'm assuming that is what this is)....

Again, you have a wonderful place and I look forward to seeing your website again when you have a chance to update it.

Thanks for explaining your booking system, I don't happen to show on my calendar when I'm waiting for people to send me their contract and deposit so am unfamiliar with that way of doing it.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
RBQueiros

Post by RBQueiros »

Hi,

I completely agree with was said about your site.

Code: Select all

Regarding the videos that are offered after watching ours - they are all suggested by YouTube who serve the video content. I think the only link is that they share at least one key word with our videos. They have no other link with us whatsoever. I have to say I agree that the videos should go but we did get one booking from somebody who said they laughed so much they just had to book the place!
Have you haver thought that instead of had one booking you could already had lost 10? (i haven´t seen the videos only taking in consideration what was said about them)

About the menu and Prices/Availability think you should use soft colors.

The Menu Location is should be better organized. I think it´s hard to read it.

Hope this helps