So rude it left me speechless

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
wallypott

So rude it left me speechless

Post by wallypott »

Today, I had a phone enquiry that was so rude it left me literally speechless. I was just preparing for my much delayed 40th Bday party when this woman rang.

She asked if I would take a booking for ascension weekend in June, and I said I'm sorry I don't take weekend bookings in June. She said why, so I said that it meant cutting into the following weeks booking. So, she said, you're lazy. Sorry, says I. You wont get week bookings in June, its not a tourist area, says she. (Beach resort). Unfortunately I was so shocked I failed to say that I didn't rent to people who are rude to me, because if they couldn't respect me, I had no reason to believe they would respect my house.

I don't think I have managed to convey here just how rude she was, but she left such a horrible feeling. I just don't understand what she hoped to achieve. Would you rent to someone you have never met or spoken to before, who called you lazy within 60 seconds of first contact.

I have just signed on with TTT, so do seriously hope to have bookings for June at the very least. Or I shall be seriously disappointed. I have taken a five day booking for the beginning of June, and regret not holding out for the week since I could have sold it several times over.

Anyway, I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well vented!

Some are just born rude and those of us with a little more manners will never have the best put down instantly to hand. The best put downs I find come some time after you have digested what was said!

No you don't want to rent to such a person, and I'm sure you will fill June, so don't worry and enjoy your 40th! You're only this young once! :D
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Thanks Nemo, that helped!
domino

Post by domino »

Hi
We all get these rude people from time to time. Its very tempting to fight fire with fire but its probably best just to press the 'end call' button.
I still remember a call I received many years ago from a very nasty 'lady' and you're so right its difficult to convey how these calls make you feel.
I hope you had a wonderful party, oh to be 40 again :)
Jenni C

Post by Jenni C »

I wonder what she hoped to achieve by behaving in such a way?
Rude lady ; "You're lazy and you'll never get full weeks booked on June"
Wallypot ; "Oh OK, you're right, I've changed my whole policy now you've insulted me and shown me the right way to do things, please, let me send you a booking for"

Do these people behave like this in every aspect of their lives or is it just reserved for special occasions?

I've never had anyone so rude over the phone, but I remember about this time last year a woman emailed & said she loved the look of the website etc she could see through the Holiday France direct availability that I had lots of weeks free in the summer, all sorts of other questions etc (would I reduce the price if there were only 4 of them that kind of thing) but she'd looked at it wrong - we were booked right through from mid May until October give or take the odd week, she'd just read the colour code wrong, which I politely pointed out to her & she went beserk on reply. Ranting and raving.

You really don't want these people staying!

And Happy Birthday party too :D
Jenni C

Post by Jenni C »

Sorry for the typos, 2 year old "help" this morning! :oops:
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

What a horrible experience for you, Wallypot. I would say you can breathe a sigh of relief that you didn't book it out to her. She would probably have been a nightmare.

I always think of my best (polite) put downs after the event too. So much easier when you can deal with this sort of rudeness in writing and so difficult to think of the right lines on the phone, especially when your breath has been taken away.

Don't forget to put her name on your blocked renters list!
Martha

Post by Martha »

How rude! Perhaps she's had a lousy day and was frustrated, but no need to take it out on you.

Put it behind you and have a lovely party :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Martha wrote:How rude! Perhaps she's had a lousy day and was frustrated, but no need to take it out on you.

Put it behind you and have a lovely party :)
Buon compleanno!
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Better that she unveil her true character prior to booking, rather than you take a booking and then have to deal with her, I suppose.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

I suppose she thought she might change your mind on the weekend policy, but not the best way to approach an owner. Perhaps she thought the 'customer is always right' as some in retail believe?

On the issue of not getting week long bookings in June, you are right and she is wrong. We are already fully booked in June so the demand is out there.
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

Have to agree, count your blessings and be thankfull you did not have this person (and imagine the rest of the family!) in your home.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

As usual, these people just take your breath away, and you think of all the smart replies later!

Just imagine some of the delicious come-backs you could have favoured her with - you'll feel a lot better, and who knows - if you write them down, you might have them handy next time some old troll calls.

Mols (roll with it - remeber, you are in charge!)

8)
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
revdev

Post by revdev »

Can you just imagine the angst if she had actually managed to rent your place out....the water is too hot/cold, the view isn't all that etc etc. :roll:

I hope you had a great 40th...and pushed her far from your mind with a couple of sharpeners.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Wallypott - belated Happy Birthday, hope it was a great party!