Our first season coming up and I'm panicing

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
julesb

Our first season coming up and I'm panicing

Post by julesb »

:( Firstly thanks to Jon D. for putting me on to this site- there is so much info. We are just getting ready for our first season, having renovated our first gite over the last 12 months. I'm trying to get my head around the 'marketing nightmare' and not succeeding too well. I've placed ads with 3 companies - holidaylettings.com holidaylets.com and havenholidays, but as yet have only had 2 enquiries + no bookings. I'm really starting to panic as we need some income next year - any advice/tips would be really welcome. Should I be panicing yet - oris it too early?
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Jules,

How did you find those rental listing sites? By that I mean, are they sort of wild guesses or did you research how vacationers would find rental properties in your area and go with the sites that did well in those searches?

And, have you yet paid for any of those listings?

On the one hand, the high season for inquiries starts in a couple of weeks, so there may not be any reason to worry.

On the other hand, if there is anything wrong, best get it fixed by Christmas so that you don't miss out on the high season!

Cheers, and welcome to the forum!
Brooke
julesb

vrooje - thanks for answering.

Post by julesb »

The sites I've used so far came by various means - one was recommended by a friend who has a gite down the road from us. One I came across at a french property show + liked the lay-out/set-up proceedure and the final was offering a 2 month free trial + I went ahead + signed up. I'm now signed up with all 3 + looking for others. Having read a bit on this site I'm now going to do the 'google' shuffle + key in searches to see what comes up. I'm avoiding Chez Nous as I've had a lot of negative comments + they are so expensive (plus it is too late for brochure now anyway).

I agree I would like to get it 'right' before Xmas - but it is very hard to know what is 'right' and what is wrong. Its a bit tricky because we are still renovating + the outside views are not ready for publishing yet eg, the pool surround is not down yet + the front of the properties need new shutters etc. All will be done for Easter time but I need to advertise now with what we have got.
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Jules, and welcome to LMH!

I've peeped at your site and the properties look good, and the setting, from what we can see on the website so far, appears super. I don't think you will have much need to worry; we only went live on Xmas Eve last, but were really delighted with the amount of activity in January, so stay cool! You offer a lovely shared pool, and I think the prices are very attractive.

The website. I'd suggest you do a few website reviews for other people's sites, then put forward your own for review - and do it quite quickly, so that if you want to make corrections/adjustments from any negative feedback of the site, you have time before people start looking in earnest in the New Year.

You said you were worried that you had no usable external photos of the development yet. It's amazing what can be airbrushed in or out, or superimposed too! I'm not a techie, but there'll be someone on LMH who can steer you in the right direction. Even a bit of clever cropping, pro-tem, might do the trick - eg the shot of the pool would look much better without the pile of soil on the rhs. If you did away with some of the lower portion of the pic, even if it makes it long and narrow, like the photo we have at the top of our site (cropped at the time as the drive hadn't been finished properly), it would still be viable.

At the time our website first hit the small screen, the vendors hadn't moved out, so all interior shots were with their rather wonderful furniture, prints etc in place! That presented a worry of a different kind! However when I received inquiries and explained that there 'would be a few changes in terms of the furniture and accessories', there was no problem! Things have a habit of sorting themselves out.

I'll watch out for your website review request, and meanwhile I'm sure the advice will keep coming. Bonne chance!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi

It is WAY too early to panic. One gite we bought in spring a couple of years ago, started advertising in June and rented out full from July. Don't be misled by the 'we've got most of 2006 and 2007 wrapped up' comments here. A lot of that is from people with returning visits and recommendations that you won't have, and people with long established websites. The end of March would be a good time to start being slightly concerned - try not to go mad reducing your prices before then, and probably not until end June (unless you are wildly over-priced to start with...)

The absence of decent exterior photos will deter people whether you like it or not - would you rent somewhere yourself without properly seeing what it looked like? - but there is not the slightest cause for concern yet

By the way HolidayLets have statistics for properties on their site, so you can see how many people are looking at your property and how many are sending enquiries (you can also see the same ratio for the site as a whole - about 1 in 60 I think but you'd need to check).

Stay calm, check through this forum for recommended sites and Paolo's advice on finding the best sites for you, and enjoy your Christmas. I promise you, if you have a nice place at a sensible price people will then come.

Cheers
Marcus
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Although I agree you have to get it right, I wouldn't panic just yet! I know that a lot of people on this site have many bookings for next year, but I only have one and I am not at all worried. Most people are not thinking about next summer's holiday yet - the time for enquiries is Jan/Feb.

I personally recommend VisitFrance.com and Holiday-Rentals.com, but everyone seems to have different opinions on the various sites - just because those two seem to work for me doesn't mean they will for you.

I have had a quick look at your website - I suggest you put it up for comment on the Website Reviews section of this site, you will get a lot of good advice. A couple of things, IMHO:
Your homepage doesn't have a picture of your property, when you click on to the next page the picture (empty swimming pool seemingly under construction) is not very inspiring and wouldn't encourage me to look any further.
When you click on Tournesol, you then finally find some nicer pictures but it took three clicks to get there! And I would show the photos of the bedrooms before the bathroom and loo.
I haven't really had time to read your website in any depth so can't offer any other comments (but don't understand what is the "rodent 10k" that you mention on the living the Dream page?!!!)

(Edit - I started writing this before the previous two posts, so we seem to have all been writing at the same time!!!!)
julesb

thanks Jane

Post by julesb »

:D Hi Jane - I feel a bit better now! I know I need to do quite a bit more work on the site over the next week or so (in between the xmas shopping). Is it easy to see how I get involved in the website review - do I just look for a link in this site?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Dear Jules,
Just look at the "Website Reviews" section of LayMyHat.
(BTW forgot to say welcome!)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jules,

I don't think the time to worry has arrived.

Putting aside my house hunters and regulars I have very little booked for next year and am I worried? Not at all! Over the years my booking season has been January, February and March.

Nor would I worry too much about things not being completely finished right now. Mid-winter is not the time to take pictures of pools in any case. For the time being, make do with what you've got and up-date the pictures when you can. It is said that a picture can be worth a thousand words. In their absence, concentrate on your words.

I'm like Lance-Corporal Jones in Dad's Army. I'm saying "Don't panic Captain Mainwaring".

Good luck.

Alan
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Jules

I have been hovering these forums for months but decided to signup yesterday and this is as good an opportunity as any for my first post.

I was in a similar position two years ago when I bought my first property in Spain. As mentioned already January and February are two of the busiest months for bookings so no need to start panicking yet.

I would recommend signing up for a few of the free trial sites to take advantage of these two busy months at no cost.

www.click4holidayhomes.com and www.holidaylets.net both allow 3 months free. They are popular sites and do well for me.

www.holiday-rentals.com is also a good site but it is expensive and no free trial. If you are serious about getting bookings though I would advise you take the plunge and spend a few pounds on these sites.

One thing I have noted from here and other owners I speak to is that some rental listing sites work better for some than others. This can depend on your location (I now have two properties both in costa del sol). It can also depend on a bit of luck as to how wel your site is listed when people search these listing sites. I do well on the sites I have listed but it really does depend on a number of other factors.

Good luck

Tony
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Jules,
I can understand it must be a bit disconcerting for you especially if you have been reading some of the posts in LMH about people getting booked up early for next year. But DON'T WORRY, most people start looking from Jan 1st and your gites look lovely, you also have a pool, which is a huge plus, so I'm sure you will get plenty of bookings.
I haven't heard of the sites you are listed with, so perhaps a look at some of the others mentioned, such as H-R.com, would help you. Regarding Chez Nous, by accident I'm still on their website (not brochure) and I get lots of bookings from it, which is a lot cheaper than their brochure, so it might be worth considering!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan (Fluffy to his friends)is a shrewdy, but in this instance I disagree about his views re the pics - they're worth a thousand words, so if you can work with the ones you have for now, but learn how to enhance them, it will help - I'm convinced!

A member called Lehcar asked for her website to be reviewed recently. If you go into the Website Reviews section and scroll about a third of the way down, you'll see her request - it's titled "What Do You Think!!" Her villa is in Kefalonia, in Greece. I'm mentioning her as she started advertising the property before the grounds etc were completed. She did a spot of 'enhancing', so she'd be a good person to send a private message to, to get the lowdown.
julesb

Many thanks

Post by julesb »

Can't believe how helpful you have all been. I'm inspired to get cracking + sort things out further. I'l also try not to let booking worries spoil Christmas now! Thanks a lot everyone. :D
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jane Bennett wrote:Alan (Fluffy to his friends)is a shrewdy, but in this instance I disagree about his views re the pics - they're worth a thousand words, so if you can work with the ones you have for now, but learn how to enhance them, it will help - I'm convinced!
I didn't mean don't use pictures. What I was trying to say was don't worry too much that your pictures are not yet what you want them to be. Change them when you can. For now, enhancement is a very good idea.

Fluffy.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

And I didn't mean that I thought you wanted to do away with them altogether, it was just the enhancing bit which was left a bit, well, fluffy!

Glad to be of help Jules!