Is it worth sending a follow up email to an enquiry?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Crossways

Is it worth sending a follow up email to an enquiry?

Post by Crossways »

Should i send a second email in response to an enquiry?
I have sent an email to someone interested in a week in June- and not heard back yet. Would you follow it up?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I always follow up with a short email after a couple of days - did you get my reply to your enquiry? Do you need any other information? but don't expect to get an answer.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I do follow up. I can't say that I have had a booking as a result of it, but people have thanked me and said they'll keep my details for another time. I have followed up people who asked for a booking form and then didn't return it and had one booking as a result of that.

I view it that as long as the follow up is polite and offers any further help if required, it can't do any harm and you are seen as an active owner who cares about your potential customer.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

No.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I never used to follow up, but now I do sometimes.

If it's an enquiry where we're already booked, where the dates don't 'fit' with our changeover dates, the party size is too big, etc. then I don't bother.

If it's an enquiry that we could accommodate - ie. they've asked for dates that fit with our changeover, we have availability and I've not heard back, then I do now follow it up. Nothing too pushy... just a "can I help at all?" type of email. And I have to say it's sometimes resulted in a booking or comments such as "thanks for the reminder, etc."

I can understand how some people probably think it's a big no-no, but I don't see it as harmful if it's done carefully.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I send a very short - just checking you got my email. If you have decided to book elsewhere I hope you have a fabulous holiday, but do let me know if you need any further info.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I used to, but then I slacked off a bit. I should start again really. I used to send the second one, similar to wallypott's, with no links or signature, in case the first one, with links, was filtered out by spam software, which did happen a few times.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
brenda

Post by brenda »

No!

I would be most annoyed if someone chased me up - however politely - and so wouldn't do it myself.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Why would you be annoyed? You can ignore the email if you want, can't you? An owner can't always be sure the first email arrived and a polite follow up email is not exactly the most intrusive way of following up.

The guest is actively seeking a holiday and the owner is actively seeking guests, so I can't see an issue myself. Each to his own as they say!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I would too. It is pushy and smacks of desperation. If I had been considering somewhere and a follow up email was sent, I'd probably book elsewhere.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Nemo wrote:Why would you be annoyed? You can ignore the email if you want, can't you? An owner can't always be sure the first email arrived and a polite follow up email is not exactly the most intrusive way of following up.

The guest is actively seeking a holiday and the owner is actively seeking guests, so I can't see an issue myself. Each to his own as they say!
Totally agree, we always follow up, if we want the booking. We have also had a few who have booked on the strength of it.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

la vache! wrote:I would too. It is pushy and smacks of desperation. If I had been considering somewhere and a follow up email was sent, I'd probably book elsewhere.
That's one way of looking at it, LV.

Another way of looking at it is that you're being contacted by an owner that cares. An owner that is trying. Granted it doesn't necessarily always follow, but owners who are diligent at the enquiry/booking stage may well be diligent in other aspects of the business that they're running.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes that's my feeling too KC.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

I normally send a short follow up email if we have availability. I usually receive a reply. Those that replied have always thanked me for emailing and in several cases it has led to a booking. Those that haven't replied might be annoyed :oops:
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

kendalcottages wrote:
la vache! wrote:I would too. It is pushy and smacks of desperation. If I had been considering somewhere and a follow up email was sent, I'd probably book elsewhere.
That's one way of looking at it, LV.

Another way of looking at it is that you're being contacted by an owner that cares. An owner that is trying. Granted it doesn't necessarily always follow, but owners who are diligent at the enquiry/booking stage may well be diligent in other aspects of the business that they're running.
To me, diligence at the enquiry and booking stage is replying quickly and efficiently to enquiries. It is not something I would appreciate receiving if I was looking to book somewhere therefore I choose not to send one myself. It doesn't make me an owner who doesn't care, it makes me an owner who understands that my properties probably aren't the only one enquired about and I respect the fact that an enquiry is just that, a request for information, nothing more. If someone wants to book, they will. They don't need me to remind them. Just my opinion :)