www.tantahcroft.co.uk - please take a look

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
thecashins

www.tantahcroft.co.uk - please take a look

Post by thecashins »

Hi,

We're very new at this so just knocked this site up with help from a couple of pals, keen to get some feedback. The site's been up since late last year & we've had 6 bookings so far on the back of registering it with the relevant search engines & Google Maps & Visit Scotland. Not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent - would appreciate any thoughts.

Thx.

Les
CSE

Post by CSE »

I will kick this off.

There seems to be a lack of Headings. The only one I can find is H1 “welcome”.
There are “several” photos without the alt text.
There is no site map or robots text files.
You do not have any Google Analytics.
The following coding errors are found on the first page. There could be more on other pages.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... roft.co.uk
Maybe think about correcting these errors to gain more points with Google!!

I like the story about how you came about building the house. But the illustrations of the architects’ plans are hard to read. I like the idea of including them but maybe try and enhance the display.

All the links on your website take me away from it. Maybe think about changing this to open up in a new browser. I suggests this because if a person is looking around for information clicks open a link on your site then from that site clicks, then from this 3rd site another link and so on they may loose your information.

I can send a message via the contact form that is not filled in. There are ways to control this and force the form to be filled in.
The final comment I have is could you perhaps change the design of the green banner. Keep the buttons and layout but remove the green and the thin lines. I would consider a nice panoramic photo to replace these.

Hope this helps.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

OK now a non-tech view point. I really like the site and the way it functions. I think you overuse & in your text, and it could often be replaced by a who, which etc. Visually the & really stands out.

I agree that you could change the background to your menu - a good photo would be excellent. But I like the way it scrolls through.

I think your photos could be a little sunnier if possible, and maybe bigger, but generally I think a really interesting and inviting site to use.

Good luck with it. And 50 kids - I am so impressed!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I haven't really had a chance to look in detail, but from a glance at the homepage I have no idea at all where your property is. I assume it is in the UK, and possibly Scotland because of the .co.uk address and the word 'croft', but I'm not familiar with Peebles and I'm sure a lot of foreign visitors to your site would have the same problem!
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

I agree with the other posters - the menu is impressive but takes up way too much space. You shouldn't have to scroll down to see the content when the only thing you can see when you land on the page is the green menu.

Also some of the photos do look to have been taken in a typical scottish summer's day - you should retake them on one of the lovely clear winter days!