Bookings slow

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
kg1

Bookings slow

Post by kg1 »

Anyone else found that bookings have dried up recently, all I keep getting are requests for 2 night breaks for 4 or 5 people which for us are impractical as I have to drive 3 1/2 hr round trip to change the beds. I think it might be the petrol prices putting people off.
Annew

Post by Annew »

V quiet on the bookings front at the moment - loads of enquiries, but like you my enquirers tend to be seeking the impossible (9 day bookings, 16 guests for a cottage that sleeps 8, a group of 17/18 year olds etc etc etc).

Are you getting many foreign enquiries?
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

No, we do usually get a few. Although we do have a German family again this year for the 3rd time. Feels strange doesn't it? Not concerned about August but it's before & after I would like to fill up.
windrush

Post by windrush »

Bookings are fairly steady here apart from August which is empty apart from the tumbleweed. Other years we'd have sold at least a couple of August weeks by now but this year, nothing :?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Similar situation here with August. Very odd. I did take a booking for 3 weeks in August, but the deposit was never sent (booking form was) and it ended up having to be cancelled. I don't understand why people make a booking like that, and then decide they can't muster up the deposit. *sigh*
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
stevem

Slow

Post by stevem »

Half terms are booked up but August is empty at the moment. Nothing for this month (March) so far.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

In our experience, people say they want to book and then go on looking to see if they can get something better/cheaper. If they do, the money never arrives. Doesn't happen so much these days.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

August slow here too and also short breaks for March seem to have dried up.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

To continue the trend, August is quiet here at the moment as well. I'm not going to fret until June; I reckon we're in for some late decision making this year.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

March very quiet still, but I have had four enquiries for end March into early April, so fingers crossed that a couple of them materialise.

I have the first two weeks left in July which are priced as peak weeks. Not sure if that is what will hold them back?

Two weeks in August left but just accepted my first short break for the peak season, so hopefully only 10 days left. I will now price up a 10 day break in case that tempts someone, otherwise it leaves me a weekend and a week left to sell.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

August and July were last to sell here, which is very starnge. I was worrying about June...not July!

Just sold the last week in August (I think I have, client asked for booking form etc. 4 days ago and still no word...so chased and she confirmed they want to go ahead, just hadn't got around to sorting out the deposit yet).

Also the 10 day man in July came back to book at the increased price and for 11 nights. Still waiting for him to do the bank transfer though (he didn't know how and wanted to pay by cheque).

Paws crossed they both come through and then I can relax and buy my De Longhi coffe maker, toaster and kettle :shock:

Mousie (hoping)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Well I'm glad it's not just me. August seems to be the stumbling block. Last year we turned away so many people for August - mainly enquiring in June/July so fingers crossed it's just a blip.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Don't worry about August. We started advertising a rental first week of July and had it fully booked from last week of July thru to Oct. July was the peak month for viewing our website.
Last edited by apexblue on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ok thank you whoever is up there looking down on me. :D Although I lost a booking today for tonight (we couldn't sort the funds as their computer crashed), I have just taken four bookings in the last day, for March, April, May and August. Please let them all go through without a hitch.....
windrush

Post by windrush »

The Dutch lady who's just booked a week in September says she's put pictures of the cottage on her Facebook and they're getting a lot of appreciative comments so fingers crossed we'll get a flurry of enquiries from Holland. Last year we had two Dutch bookings in August. Maybe I should ask her to add a note to the effect that we still have availability for August :D