New Website - Feedback would be great.

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Moira

New Website - Feedback would be great.

Post by Moira »

Hi,

I previously had an iowners website but have changed so that I could include our new 2 bed property. I'd really appreciate any views, particularly on how it shows up on the various different browsers. Are the slideshows showing up ok, are the pictures to large, the transitions to fast/slow.
I think I may need some additional photo's of the exterior of the buildings. I'm also in the process of changing the top photo. Although it looks good, its not of one of my bedrooms so feel I am am misrepresenting our apartments.
Any suggestions, comments on how it can be improved would be appreciated. It's a template website so I may be limited on any changes I can make.
Thanks.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Using FF with 1280x1024 resolution.
Some photos within the flash presentation are stretched.
When you click either the “bell” or “high” tabs you get an empty page. The sub menus seem to be floating from the main menu list.
Some of the photos on the left seem to be generic and staged. Are they related to your property or surroundings?
Like this one:
http://www.baronyapartments.com/images/Princes_Sq_1.jpg
and this one:
http://www.baronyapartments.com/images/ ... 5B1%5D.JPG
There are others.
Hope this helps.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moira

Post by Moira »

Sorry I'm not very technical, what do you mean 'Using FF 1280x1024 resolution.' I've uploaded the photo's to a site which provides the slideshow, perhaps I should reduce the size of the photo's in order to resolve the problem of them stretching?

After discussion with a friend I left the first Bell and High pages empty as we felt that people would click on the submenus when they came up rather that the main menu heading. So the first section under the submenus is what was originally on the main heading. We did this as it we felt that the submenu would be clicked and the main menu would be ignored therfore mssing the information there. I'll thing about how we can resolve this. I was concerned that it wasn't good to have blank pages.

When you say the sub menus are floating. I don't think I can do anything about this as it is how they are set up by the company who provide the templates. Is it off putting, difficult to use?

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciated.
CSE

Post by CSE »

what do you mean 'Using FF 1280x1024 resolution.' Was in answer to
I'd really appreciate any views, particularly on how it shows up on the various different browsers.
Firefox with a screen resolution of 1280 by 1024 pixels. The number of pixels is important if you want to know how the site performs.

The floating sub menus may be a problem with me only; wait for others to comment.
I don’t know the answer to the photo problem it depends on how the flash presentation works. Maybe play around with it????

This template website seems to be very good. Is this something for you?
viewtopic.php?t=14387
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I can't open it and get the Internet Explorer error message.
Moira

Post by Moira »

Nemo wrote:I can't open it and get the Internet Explorer error message.
Hi Nemo,

Just checked the link above and did a search and it was ok. Would you mind trying again and see if you still get the same problem and I'll contact the company.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

It opens fine on Explorer for me.
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It opens now. I don't like the big expanse of red, seems a waste of space to me. Neither of the availability links on the home page seem to work. They give the error message HTTP 404 not found.

On your rental rates page you state high and low season prices. I cannot see what dates they refer to?
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

The picture of roofs on the left - I am only getting half of the picture - I reloaded the page but same thing. On a macbook using safari.

Some of your photos seem to be a bit soft on the focus, which usually means they are copies of copies that have reduced pixels - I have had the same problem myself. I think you have too many photos of objects, for me they just left me wondering why.

Why the big block of red

Sorry not a very tech opinion.

Good luck with it all.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Hi Moira,

At first glance the site looks great, lovely photos that could possibly be larger and could cover that red space a little bit.
I would like to see at a glance reference to the fact that the apartment is in Glasgow either in the page title, website name or by enlarging part of the existing text.

When I looked today I could not access the photo gallery for each apartment. It is the "go to" page for me after the home page and apart from the fact it wasn't working, I would have preferred a direct link from the home page and not a drop down menu which is finicky to use when using a pad.
Also I would prefer general info like transport links and other things included on each drop down menu to be on a link on the main page. It sounds plain lazy to not want to use the drop down menu but for me its a finicky process and just annoying, sorry!

The site does look lovely to look at, photos are very appealing with good text.
NB Just looked at the gallery pages a 2nd time and they did load but after a while.
Moira

Post by Moira »

Thanks for all your feedback, seems like there are quite a few problems with the set up, especially the photo's which is annoying from my perspective. I'm going to spend a bit of time this week on it so hopefully sort things out.

One thing, the big red strip, unfortunately that is the set up of the template and I can't change it. Perhaps I should look for another tmeplate!
Moira

Post by Moira »

Hi,

I decided to try another template which I hope works better. With regard to your feedback I've done the following:
- Tried to improve the photographs
- Put Glasgow in the title although I can't change the website name at this stage.
- Unfortunately still have some drop down menues, I couldn't find a template which would show the all the info without these. However, I have tried to group things better and hopefully they now work better.
- Added some more photo's of rooms in the first slideshow.
- Added details of high, low seasons.
- Fixed the links, this is something I think I will have to monitor as they were all working when I first launched the site.

Still looking into the Firefox resolution issue.

Thanks again for all your feedback.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I can see many of the improvements, so well done! However I'm not a fan of the big buttons at the top of the page. They are a strange waste of space, as you have the side bar menu as well. Also not sure about the title picture. It's a bit of a mish mash to the eye and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Yep you have improved the site. The photos are not stretched now.