Air Conditioning vs Electricity Bills in Italy

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
bananacake

Air Conditioning vs Electricity Bills in Italy

Post by bananacake »

Ciao a tutti!:)

so im finally going ahead with purchasing Air Conditioning for 4 bedrooms in my villa that i will use for the summer. I have learned that there are 2 types of units you can buy: "On-Off" and "Inverter"

Inverters apparently save you on your electricity bills but costs a hell of a lot more and was wondering if there is anyone that has any experience with this.

My thoughts though is why purchase the more expensive A/C where you only begin to see a saving vs your electricity bill after a few years?
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We've just bought the on-off type for the two bedrooms in our rental apartment, on the basis that they will only be used a couple of months a year, so like you can't see the point in paying so much more for them. We have bought the inverter type for our own bedroom, and will be comparing their efficiency. I will report back at the end of the summer to let you know how they compare (remind me if I don't as I have a hopeless memory :oops: )
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Thanks! By the way i found a post on LMH that discussed an interesting gadget that might help - especially for us in Italy where electricity is expensive.

The gadget is a motion sensor that automatically switches off the AC when it does not detect movement. So if the guest leaves the room in the morning and does not switch off the AC the motion sensor automatically switches off the AC after a predetermined amount of time

What do you think?
http://www.econoair-eu.com/products.php
The Olive Grove

bananacake wrote:Thanks! By the way i found a post on LMH that discussed an interesting gadget that might help - especially for us in Italy where electricity is expensive.

The gadget is a motion sensor that automatically switches off the AC when it does not detect movement. So if the guest leaves the room in the morning and does not switch off the AC the motion sensor automatically switches off the AC after a predetermined amount of time

What do you think?
http://www.econoair-eu.com/products.php
Looks quite interesting, although hubby is an electronics engineer and says he can make one that will also prevent the units from being used with open doors or windows.

By the way, the units we bought were all Samsung, the on-off one costing €299 and the inverter one €429.
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

[/quote]Looks quite interesting, although hubby is an electronics engineer and says he can make one that will also prevent the units from being used with open doors or windows.[/quote]

That's even better than an inverter!! :)
dbar

Post by dbar »

The Olive Grove wrote:[Looks quite interesting, although hubby is an electronics engineer and says he can make one that will also prevent the units from being used with open doors or windows.
Can I be first in the queue to order two of these please!

Could I also suggest a modification - a temperature sensor that turns the aircon off when the temp falls below a pre set figure (ie something that over rides the temperature set on the remote by guests). The last four times I have visited my apartment after guests had left, the temperature set on the units was 16C!! Madness.
David
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

But electricity in Egypt is way cheaper than Italy I'm sure! :)
Cinera

Post by Cinera »

dbar wrote:
The Olive Grove wrote:[Looks quite interesting, although hubby is an electronics engineer and says he can make one that will also prevent the units from being used with open doors or windows.
Can I be first in the queue to order two of these please!

Could I also suggest a modification - a temperature sensor that turns the aircon off when the temp falls below a pre set figure (ie something that over rides the temperature set on the remote by guests). The last four times I have visited my apartment after guests had left, the temperature set on the units was 16C!! Madness.
Can I also join the queue please! and order one for our bedroom :)
lushsandwich

Post by lushsandwich »

Hi Bc

If its a long term thing,have you looked at the link energy website
where you purchase solar panels and re-sell the electric generated?

Sandwich
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Hey there! No I haven't do you have the link? But I hear that's really expensive though and you recoup your investment after years?
The Olive Grove

Cinera wrote:
dbar wrote: Can I be first in the queue to order two of these please!

Can I also join the queue please! and order one for our bedroom :)
He says it should be easy enough to do. He was just going to do it for our own use, but says if there is a market for them he could produce for others too. At the moment I don't have any idea of cost, but he says he could do them as a kit if people feel confident with a soldering iron. Would definitely be cheaper than the commercial one mooted here.

If anyone is seriously interested please PM me, so that we can gauge the amount of interest.