Robots?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Paul Carmel

Robots?

Post by Paul Carmel »

On the web building package I am using I have the option to fill in a box marked Robots......what are they? should I have done something with this option?

I can almost feel the wise cracks coming......
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Re: Robots?

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul Carmel wrote:On the web building package I am using I have the option to fill in a box marked Robots......what are they? should I have done something with this option?

I can almost feel the wise cracks coming......
I don't have an answer but I don't want to disappoint you.

Robots?� - Are robots the things used in factories to automate processes or are robots those who form their opinions by what is currently trendy? Is there any fundamental difference?

Alan
marcus

Post by marcus »

These robots are spiders. You can ignore them.

(You can add info to a website telling search engine spiders / robots which files to look at etc. for the time being they are going to follow your links anyway, as a default, so I don't think most people bother to explicitly tell them.)

Marcus
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

For html pages, the robot will find you OK.

But if you are using a database application, you should say yes to the robots. This allows the robot to add the text within the database to the search engine.

Robots didn't seem to be able to do this previously, but they are doing it now. Here is a screen print of a robot working its way through a shopping cart :

Sorry it is a little wide !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Peter,
Sorry it is a little wide !
I had to move to Bordeaux to read the other half.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Peter,

I didn't know that! That's useful.

I have used robots.txt for certain directories that I don't want indexed. I'm not sure if that works, but it's worth a try.
Brooke
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Peter

I see you use zen cart. How do you find it? Do you find it easy to modify? I have been looking at a number of possible options for e-commerce and zen cart was one of them. Any useful information?

Thanks

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

It is a very comprehensive application. It is multi currency, automatically can cater for different postage charges by destination, by value, etc etc etc. It has a stock system that can run re orders and automatically integrate barcode "point of sales" systems. It also has good options for special offers, new stock, etc.

It seems very reliable once you get it up and running. The payment modules integration took a while, but I think that was because Zencart were still working with Worldpay integration.

It is very flexible as to appearance (check some of these examples : http://www.zen-cart.com/modules/showcas ... .php?cid=7) and the management pages are easy to use.

You can IM me if you need more detailled info.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com