Manage/Collect Rent from Rental House in another state?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
JWH

Manage/Collect Rent from Rental House in another state?

Post by JWH »

Hi,

I've been renting space in the place I've lived in for a few years but now I am ready to rent out an entire house that I am not living in. I hear about people renting out houses in Arizona but not living there. How is this done? How do you effeciently collect rent and make sure the lawn is mowed and that they aren't smashing up your house? Any advice for a newcomer?

JWH
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

JWH,

Welcome to the forum!

My suggestion for most (if not all) of these things is to hire a property manager.

Ours don't collect the rental price (we do that via PayPal most of the time), but they do clean the place between clients and make sure it is well-maintained. They also let us know whenever a renter has done something to merit a deduction from the damage deposit, and they send us the mail we get to our rental address, as well as countless other small things. They charge an hourly rate, but some other property managers charge a percentage.

I'm sure others on the forum will have other suggestions. We live in the US, but our property is in France, so it may not be quite the same in Arizona.

Good luck!
Brooke