Leaky pool - Tips and Hints!

For anything to do with the garden and pool
KathyG

Leaky pool - Tips and Hints!

Post by KathyG »

Finally identified and fixed the leak in the pool today.

We've been 'in situ' for 2 weeks now and the leak was only evident about 5 days ago, when the pump started struggling and we noticed that the water level had dropped. Now, did the leak suddenly start 5 days ago or has it been dribbling for months? We were last here in November and I suppose it's possible there was already a leak but the winter rainfall disguised the fact...?

Anyway, we luckily were able to get under the surrounding deck to inspect the side walls and found a little spout of water coming out of the side wall at the point where the ladder feet touch the wall. Our ladder is removable but stays in situ throughout the season but as you go up or down it, the feet do move against the wall.

So a little warning to anyone fitting a pool with liner and the same ladder configuration. Protect the liner where the feet touch the wall with something - we haven't decided what we're going to do there yet......

I had a nightmare afternoon trying to get down to the area where the feet touch to attach the patch (can be applied even under water). :lol:
a) pool temp is still only 20 degrees.....brrrr.....
b) I couldn't stay down, needed a weightbelt.
c) Tried breathing through a hose we had lying around. :roll:
d) Couldn't see, normally wear glasses but tried a child's goggles we found but it was like my head was in a vice and my eyeballs were bulging but still couldn't see.
e) Amazingly I panicked and couldn't cope with breathing through the hose properly, amazingly because I'm a diver although haven't dived for a few years. But I was shocked at how unable I was to perform this task! :shock:

After many abortive attempts on my part, Glen eventually had to reach down from the side (using the hose) and slap the patch on. Now you're supposed to smooth it out removing all air bubbles but I hate to think how badly it's been applied. Leak's stopped though. :D

As ex-divers we have a fair bit of dive kit so our next trip will definitely include bringing over cylinders, masks, weightbelts and demand valves. Our next task will be to replace the liner which is just about to start its 5th season, hopefully it'll survive till this time next year.

Summary:
1 - Have underwater repair patches in stock.
2 - Check any possible areas of wear on a regular basis.
3 - Have at least mask, snorkel and weighbelt but preferably scuba gear.
4 - Protect ladder feet on installation.
5 - Plan a new liner after a few years.

Hope this experience helps someone........ :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

How about adding

6. Do the work in the summer, when water is warmer

:lol: :lol:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Except we can't afford to stay here in the summer Richard! :D
Kathy
nijntje

Post by nijntje »

ouch! so sorry to hear Kathy!
A good thing you did discover it now...before you were gone and the guest arrive I guess!
I am sure it wasn't much fun to go in there in this temperature...
but well done!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

You can add that to "10 top reasons not to have a pool in your holiday rental Inge! :roll:
Kathy
nijntje

Post by nijntje »

katiegirl wrote:You can add that to "10 top reasons not to have a pool in your holiday rental Inge! :roll:
Ha! that would be my husbands his top 10 reasons not to have a pool! Well, I think he has a lot more then 10 reasons not to have a pool anyway :)
I still want one, especially with the weather we have been having here lately!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Weather's been incredible, we had 34 degrees on the balcony yesterday! :shock: Have only been in the pool once though, apart from the trying to fix the leak episode and that's another story :roll: We've got so much to do here and only another week left to do it in. Then I find out this morning we've got 2 more guests arriving tomorrow till Friday (SIL and daughter), one of which is a veggie.....but I've decided not to iron their sheets, if they're coming at such short notice they'll have to fend for themselves....

I should start another thread: "If you're thinking of having a holiday home, DON'T until you've read the list of maintenance jobs that you have to do every Spring!" :roll: and another one called "What can go wrong". :?
Kathy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sorry you had that hassle KG but relieved that you got to the bottom of it - in more ways than one it would seem!

We have Roman steps, but there are still many other ways a pool can go wrong. Just hope ours won't this year at least!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
FretaF

Post by FretaF »

Does the ladder have plastic ends on it where it contacts the pool liner? You might be able to put foam over it to keep it from rubbing the liner and causing a hole. The ends might have a burr on them that is cutting a hole in the pool liner. You may also find a thick vinyl or other sheet for swimming pools to reinforce the side of the pool where the ladder comes in contact with it.
Last edited by FretaF on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freta - Relaxing in the sun.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks Freta, my OH came up with a solution and rebuilt the bit of deck around the ladder so that the feet now stand about 4" away from the side so it can't happen again. :D
Kathy