Payment from Holland?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
limousin-cottage

Payment from Holland?

Post by limousin-cottage »

I've had an enquiry today from Holland for the 1st week in May. Normally for French bookings I post a reservation form out to them, which they sign and return with their deposit. Does this apply also to non-French bookings? We are a bit pushed for time and I am not sure how to suggest making payment.
stork

Post by stork »

I have to admit that until last week I had never (4 years) used a booking form. Mainly British, German and Dutch guests, then last week someone asked.

Try to get the details you need per email, unless there is some legal requirement.
stork

Post by stork »

stork wrote:I have to admit that until last week I had never (4 years) used a booking form. Mainly British, German and Dutch guests, then last week someone asked.

Try to get the details you need per email, unless there is some legal requirement.
Oh, and if we have time (at least a week) we get a bank transfer, if it is really last minute cash at arrival. Has worked until now, this late you are not likely to loose anything.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

A transfer from a Dutch bank should usually be completed the same day. Email them the booking form.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I use an online booking form with tick boxes for terms and conditions over 18 or 21 etc, but for some reason the French are normally not able/willing to do this. Partly because it is in English (E-Richards French feature is not yet available) and partly because they like to have a contract (which a lot of them actually read!).

Everyone but the French also do bank transfers, the French do cheques. This is just my short experience, and there have been the odd exceptions. Sometimes for the Americans the paypal fees are cheaper than the bank transfer, although I think the paypal money request is free. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

The paypal money request is very quick, and would allow you to refund the part of the money that is security deposit if you so wished.
limousin-cottage

They are happy to send the deposit by bank transfer, just read their return e-mail. Otherwise, like you say, it is very last-minute, so even if they don't turn up, there is nothing much lost really. Even Paypal, at this late stage, may be too late, as doesn't the setting up of an account require verified bank details i.e. obtaining a code number from you bank statement? I agree - once set up it is very quick and easy and I have been using it for several years - but the Dutch guests do not know of it. They suggest i-deal (??) Most of my guests so far have been French (it's only our first letting season) and I think, although the booking procedure is a bit tedious, I think it is necessary if we wish to comply with not only the French location saisonniere rules and regs, but also our holiday let insurance cover.
limousin-cottage

HelenB wrote:A transfer from a Dutch bank should usually be completed the same day. Email them the booking form.
Never even thought of that! What a great idea. I thought I couldn't do that as my scanner has packed up - but yes, I do have an example of the booking form (in French - but I can translate that) That's another thing - just cropped up in my head. Do you do your letting contracts in French?? I am sure I read that it's ''obligatoire'' in France! What then for your non-French speaking guests??
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have English and French versions. My online booking form is in English though, as are the terms and conditions, I just attach the French version to the booking confirmation. Most French have had no difficulty with Paypal or bank transfers. You do not need a Paypal account to use Paypal to pay someone by bank or credit card.
My Dutch visitors last year couldn't understand what happened when I refunded their damage deposit. He had not checked his credit card statement.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

This has cropped up before.

Benelux banks use "virements" or transfers (it is quite common to see people sitting in front of screens in unmanned banks paying utility bills, etc .

I had my first Belgian bank account in 1990 and domestic cheques were not available then. I had a few Euro cheques, but they finished as credit cards became more widely accepted.

If you provide the IBAN code ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... unt_Number ) they can pay it immediately. How long your French bank takes to process it is another matter.

EU Euro bank transfers are free, but I've been charged for paying in non French Euro cheques.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
lorca

Post by lorca »

We do everything by email too. All our European/UK guests pay by bank transfer into our Spanish or UK bank accounts. North Americans pay by Paypal (you don´t need a Paypal account to pay by Paypal, just to receive it).

We´ve never had any problems (so far!)
limousin-cottage

Thank you both - that's put my mind at ease. Simples!
CSE

Post by CSE »

We take payment by the SEPA bank system. it is usually there the next day or after the weekend if payment is made on a Monday. Most Dutch banks send money free of charge to send and recipient, you can be assured of the arrival of the monies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area
http://www.howbankswork.com/13.html
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
santamaria

Post by santamaria »

On the whole we do pretty much everything on-line, for example booking form, including a box to tick to say terms and conditions have been read and agreed to.

Pretty much all guests pay by bank transfer or PayPal including French guests

We would accept cheques but only if the booking is 8 weeks or more from holiday rental date. We have only had one set of guests pay by this method.
Stay Happy and Keep Smiling
stork

Post by stork »

We do not do cheques, that is so last century ;-)

Not a big deal here, as the only ones who realistically would prefer cheques would be Portuguese, and we have very few of those.

And with all the scams around, it is much easier that way.
limousin-cottage

The French guests in our time-warp region do seem to prefer cheques!