Domain Names

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Catalan Villa

Post by Catalan Villa »

Thanks for the advice folks. I chose http://www.catalanvilla.info
craigkillick

Post by craigkillick »

catalanvilla.co.uk

Just had a quick look at your web site. With the reference to how Google and the search engines see your content, you may have problems as your web site is in frames.

If you right-click on your page and choose 'View Source', this is what Google will see. May be worth thinking about doing without frames.

Hope this helps. (Not a criticism, just friendly advice).
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

As a matter of interest, what did you do about changing your hosting?

Alan
A-two

dot-eu opens

Post by A-two »

Folks,
A quick note to let you know that the new domain name extension, dot-eu, opened for public sale today, first come, first served. Normally I don't bother with all the various new domain name extensions, but I think this one could be quite important over time. If you have a domain name you love, buy this version as well, if only to stop someone else getting it.

For further information, go to the EU registry at www.eurid.eu The WHOIS database there is pretty log jammed right now for searches, being day one, but all the usual Registrars like Godaddy are selling them and I had no problem with their search engine. The going rate is $14.95 for 1 yr. I tried a few of the hot VR names as well - vacationrentals.eu, holidayrentals.eu and so on - but they seem to have been snapped up already. Even so, I'm sure there's still lots of great names if you have the time to play, not me any more today unfortunately!

Cheers

P.S. Alan, just seen your question above after all this time! The answer is that my current host was very accommodating, so I stayed with him.
A-two

WARNING!

Post by A-two »

WARNING!
In the past, I have recommended Dotster as a safe place in the Domain Name Jungle to search for your domain names. Not any more and here's the reason...

For some time there have been rumours that if you go to check the availability of a really unusual domain name that no one else on planet Earth would ever think of, its not uncommon to then discover a day later that some company in a remote part of the planet has just registered it and stuck a resale price tag onto it of $$thousands.

Myth? Probably not any longer. The following thread discusses the issue and implicates registrars and their partners in the domain monetization industry:

http://forums.dnsstuff.com/tool/post/dn ... 3&trail=15

Further related information can be found at
http://domibot.info/

For those who don't have time to check the links, the short answer is that if it does happen to you, best to hang on five days and check again. They have 5 days to pay for the name, so if nobody bites within that time, there's a good chance they will drop the name back into the pool of available names.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

One of these days I really must do a Personal Web Site of my own. The Wanadoo and Google Web Sites are all very well but, being template based, they have their limitations and I don't suppose they will ever achieve any search engine ratings.

As part of the exercise I will have to back track on your postings here to find all the useful information you have supplied about domain name registrations and hosting.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Joanna
This brings back painful memories for me during the .info release. I purchased a desirable generic domain related to our business, and a month later was bullied out of it by an outfit which claimed it was better entitled to it. It wasn't. I was told by a US copyright lawyer it would cost many thousands to defend. It appeared later on some dubious site for $125k, and apparently is still for sale. Maybe there are lawyers who would take on a no-cure no-fee case in this field.

Goat
A-two

Post by A-two »

Goat,
There's no such animal as a no win no fee IP Lawyer, but if you send me a PM with the name and its connection to your business, I'll hazard a guess at your chances at getting it back, then you can decide whether it's worth going for it.

You would have to go through the UDRP Process. That's explained in the small print you never read when you purchased it in the first place. Every Registrant of every domain name agrees to abide by the UDRP (Unitary Dispute Resolution Process), which is handled by WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization.) If you win your case, the Registrar will forceably remove it from the other person and register it in your name.

Maybe that's how you lost it, in which case, it would not be worth taking it to Court. A judge is very unlikely to overturn a WIPO decision since most of them don't have a clue how this new fangled thing called the Domain Name System works, so they look to the UDRP for the case law.

The UDRP application fee is a flat fee of $1,000, or was the last time I looked. If you're on the back foot defending a UDRP case, there's no fee and you can represent yourself.

WIPO is a bit of a c**p shoot, they have made some very poor and illogical decisions over the years, largely because the whole industry is mobbed by some extremely powerful corporate intellectual property lawyers, but you can take one thing to the bank. Whoever has the trademark wins the game.

It doesn't even have to be exactly the same name - anything vaguely similar will do. It doesn't even have to be a registered trademark, it can be a pending application that you filed 5 minutes ago. Of course, you had better get the trademark application in before the other fellow, or you're on the back foot again, and as I'm sure you know, not all names can be trademarked.

(p.s. I think I've posted something like this before - sorry everyone if I am repeating myself)
Last edited by A-two on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Goat,

As an ex-lawyer I can confirm what Joanna says. There are no free lunches in IP, it's all "no pain - no gain". There is a breed of IP lawyers who would love to take your case so long as you underwrite it. If you have an open-ended cheque book, and a tiny brain, then go for it. Otherwise, take Joanna's word for it and take her advice.

When it comes to personal domain names it's never going to be worth spending thousands getting the one you want. Choose something a little different but still personal.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Joanna, a PM is winging it's way across as I write.

Alan, this makes a lot of sense, thanks for your advice.

Goat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Goat,

Nobody should have to re-invent the wheel. It's one of the reasons why people like Joanna and I are here - not to advise from a strictly legal point of view but give the benefit of our experience, and help where we can.

Alan