Reclaiming deposit from DPS

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Big Sis..

Reclaiming deposit from DPS

Post by Big Sis.. »

Dont know if any of you long term Landlords have had to deal with this.

As you know Ive had to evict one of my Tenants, this is all new to me and Ive contacted the DPs to reclaim the deposit.....

Theyve said they will contact the tenants before refunding it...which I realise they have to do.

But I really dont think they will be able to reach them.
I know I cant, as theyve changed their phone numbers[so that i couldnt contact them Im sure] and of course the only address they have is my house, where theyve gone from .....

What happens then, will they just give them so long to get back to them, and then refund me the deposit??
Elcarmoli

Post by Elcarmoli »

I had tenants disappear late last year. I wanted to claim the deposit as they left the place in a state. It was released to me on the understanding that if they reappear and dispute my claim I will have to repay it and it will go to arbitration. I can't imagine they will reappear as they owe a good few thousand to the water board on top of unpaid rent.... I cannot remember the timescales off hand but I think they have 6-9 months. Hope that helps?
www.holidaymurcia.com - Spacious Apartment in Spain
www.rhumhor.com - Lochside Holiday Lodge, sleeps up to 11 people

Member of Associaton of Scotland's Self-Caterers
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I wanted to claim the deposit as they left the place in a state. It was released to me on the understanding that if they reappear and dispute my claim I will have to repay it and it will go to arbitration. I can't imagine they will reappear as they owe a good few thousand to the water board on top of unpaid rent.... I cannot remember the timescales off hand but I think they have 6-9 months. Hope that helps?
Ow blimey sounds exactly the same scenario right down to the water board[had to phone them today] though its me the owe the few thousand to the water board was a more modest amount ........though judging by the state of the house they probably didnt use much water :roll:

This is just what I wanted to hear Thanks Elc.... :wink: :D

When people say i know exactly who you feel I know YOU do!!

Thanks Again one less thing to worry aboutx

Take care, love Rosx
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well Good News I have at last got my deposit back, which is great, :) but it took ages which isnt. :(

but thanks again to Elcarmoli!! as, because of his post I was confident it would arrive eventually.
This is why LMH is sooo great it puts us in touch with people who really have been in the situation were having to deal with.....and theyre generous enough to share their experiences ,so it really does help :)

Take care Rosxx
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ros, pleased you got there in the end x x
Elcarmoli

Post by Elcarmoli »

That's great news, really glad it helped.

Getting the deposit back doesn't make up for money owed, stress and problems, but it is something.

Mine haven't crawled out of the woodwork to contest the deposit - if they had I would have shown them the bill to get the drains unblocked from their nappies....some people....

kind regards,
Martine :)
www.holidaymurcia.com - Spacious Apartment in Spain
www.rhumhor.com - Lochside Holiday Lodge, sleeps up to 11 people

Member of Associaton of Scotland's Self-Caterers
ceilwart26

Post by ceilwart26 »

Is there no way to find a forwarding address?

I have some tenants leaving at the end of the week who are not giving a forwarding address. I'm not sure if it's a problem yet, but had assumed (probably incorrectly) that I would be able to obtain it should the need arise.
Jan Holmes