east anglia or west country

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
petitbois

east anglia or west country

Post by petitbois »

Have a friend who is trying to sell her B&B to go back to UK to start a similar business - for family reasons she favours East Anglia, but we feel that she would be better off from the bookings point of view to go to the West Country. From your perspective which do you all feel would be more popular & generate more year round business??? Also which is the area more popular with couples - she would probably only be able to afford a 2 bedroomed B&B or else a small house for herself with a holiday let apartment/cottage for 2-3 people.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Of the two, definitely West Country IMHO...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Can only speak from my personal experience, but I have done very well indeed in Norfolk! All year round bookings, plenty of couples and/or small families and their dogs as well (maximum of two). I am right on the coast though, which gives me the usp or advantage that I wouldn't have elsewhere in the county.

It's also accessible for a very large part of the population ie from North and South, so the majority of my bookings are for short breaks. That is definitely what fills my property outside of the main season.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I was born and brought up in the West Country and lived in East Anglia for 10 years before I moved to France. They are both lovely, although deep down I guess I the West and cows, which is probably why I moved to Brittany in France. East Anglia is probably cheaper and there is less rain, maybe there would be a better ROI there.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I grew up in the West Country and it is a big tourist magnet but also saturated with holiday lets and you may find your prices are partly dictated by the rest of the market.

Our holiday cottage is in Chester (near my husband's family) and there are very few 2 bedroom holiday lets in Chester that have a double and a twin room (most have two doubles) and we have no problem getting bookings all year round, often from families.

I suggest that your friend does some research on East Anglia - what type of lets are already there, where are they, do they cater for couples or families and make some enquiries to see what availability they have. You might be able to find a niche with very little competition there. A city like Norwich is most likely to provide year round lettings, especially if you are walking distance from the centre.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

thank you all for your replies - she is still researching so any thoughts welcome & will pass them on to her.

One other question for you all regarding expected yield/occupancy rates in either region. In our part of France for B&B we expect 85-100% occupancy from June-September, with approx 30% during April/May & October, virtually nothing in winter months. Gites de France stats are for approx 14weeks/year occupancy/gite rental property.

All thoughts & advice welcome