Advertising a week's stay on e-bay

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

pinkeyemedia wrote:Yes thats correct but then that page is not supposed to link to another where you can then 'book' or 'buy' outside of eBay. Just trying to help everyone out!! Its just from past experience with eBay thats all. If you manage to get away with it, then great, you will get a lot of visitors and quick!! :lol:
We deliberately avoid putting any pictures of the cottage on e-Bay to drive people to the website. We've been renting odd weeks for two or three years - maybe the rabbit's foot is working!

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Maybe I should give it a try.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hi

We sold quite a few weeks at our cottage on ebay last year on the Buy It Now option and have sold an odd week we had available in April this year as an auction. I am selling a 5 day break in May, at the moment , as I had a 5 day slot left between bookings.

I have always put a link to our website and have had no comeback from ebay about it. All our ebay guests have been fine too.

I have been taking mid week and bookings for less than one week. I think a bit of flexibility is useful to guests and owners at certain times of the year. Well it's worked for me so far this year!

Cheers
Linda
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Well, I've listed my place on ebay now, so fingers crossed that the vacant Spring weeks will go.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Helen, Good Luck! What's the item number? I'm really interested to see how this works out for you as I'm thinking of trying it for a week left in June that I can't seem to shift.

Thanks,
Joanna
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Joanna, the item no is 6626975738

Helen
Elsa

Post by Elsa »

How much does it cost to place your property in ebay. do they take a percentage or is it a fixed rate? I may advertise mine.

Elsa
cromercrabholiday

It's a fixed sum, plus a small percentage as I remember - check out the eBay site, it is clearly laid out.

John
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

Linda wrote:
I have always put a link to our website and have had no comeback from ebay about it. All our ebay guests have been fine too.
If people are worried about featuring a link in their actual description don't forget that eBay allows you to build an About Me page, where you can link to your own holiday home site.

So within your item description link to the About Me page.

One extra click I know but it is a simple way around the problem.

Regards

Craig
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

A good tip, Craig.
cromercrabholiday

Just put our's on for 20-29 September - I'll let you know results.

John
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I had just one week left until November (22-29 Sept), so prompted by this thread I put it on ebay (despite previously getting my fingers burnt and vowing never to do so again), and I have just taken a booking for that week from a very nice-sounding couple. I normally charge £400 in September, then the price drops to £250 in October. I put it on at £300 with the option for "best offer", and sold it for £250 which is what the people are paying the following weeks anyway so I am happy as I wouldn't sell it at bargain-basement prices.

So THANK YOU everyone on this thread for galvanising me into action - I don't think I would have sold it otherwise! If it all goes well, I may use Ebay again in the future - Watch this space....

(If anyone's interested to see my advert, it was item number 250025948749).
cromercrabholiday

Well done, Catherine. Our recent foray into eBay got our website a few hits but no bids. Given that we had fantastic weather over the weekend (it finished Sunday), we were surprised.

It was still cheap advertising.

John
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi John

Your right, its been lovely in Norfolk the last week 84.

Weve had thunderstorms the last 2 nights though, but still lovely & sunny in the day. 8)
A-two

Post by A-two »

CatherineS wrote:so prompted by this thread I put it on ebay (despite previously getting my fingers burnt and vowing never to do so again)
I decided to test eBay for the first time ever and listed the 3rd week in October. Since your ad was so successful Catherine, I have plagiarized large chunks of it... :oops: hoping you don't mind.... :D There was a 24 hour delay to become Square Trade Verified, which is required for Vacation Rentals on the US site, but they were very efficient and it was all done in 24 hrs by phone, fax and email.

It's # Item number: 160037020241 if you're interested and the reserve is $750, which represents a 60% discount, but sufficiently low to attract a couple.