Outrageous scam resulting in eviction - lucky escape...

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
DivineMrsM

Outrageous scam resulting in eviction - lucky escape...

Post by DivineMrsM »

OK - here goes. This is quite a tale....

Back in March I took a telephone enquiry from a man based in the midlands who wanted to rent my flat in London for approx 4 weeks (at less than a week's notice) as he had business meetings for a new client. He sounded legit, and was very polite. He asked if he could view the flat as he was already in London for a few days. I responded that it was already occupied but that I was happy to meet him outside so that he could see the location.

He was happy with this as he wanted to be sure that it really existed as he'd heard a lot about scams in London. He particularly wanted my flat as it was great for families and he wanted to be able to have his wife and child to stay at weekends.

So - I met him outside the flat and I even opened the front door with my key to assure him that it was my own property (he didn't ask for this, I volunteered). He was a nicely spoken, well dressed, asian man in his late twenties/early thirties.

We chatted and he was happy with the arrangements. He wished to arrive that friday (three days away) and would bring full payment in cash. Could I provide a receipt? Of course.

He arrived later than he had planned, but called to say would it be OK if I or my husband would meet him at the station (5 mins walk away) as he was nervous about carrying so much cash (£2k) in an area he didn't know. So I met him there and walked him to the apartment, chatting all the way.

I let him in, took his money, gave him the keys. Everything seemed fine. This was a Friday night.

Fast forward to Monday morning. I get a phone call from the owner of the upstairs flat (which is sub let). She happens to be a lettings agent and her agency board is constantly positioned outside the flat (that used to annoy me, but not anymore!).

She asked me if I had my flat up for rent long term, rather than holiday lets (we know each other fairly well so she knows that it is a holiday let). I of course answered no.

It transpired that she had, that morning, taken a call from a woman who had viewed my flat over the weekend and was about to rent it long term, handing over 6wks rent as deposit and a month in advance. She really wanted the place (it was a good deal at £1100 per month furnished including bills) but was slightly wary so called the number on the board to verify the letting.

She had answered an ad on CraigsList. I looked it up and sure enough, there was my flat up for rent, listed that Friday night within minutes of him gaining access to the property.

I immediately panicked (!) but then thought it through and called a friend who "knew someone" so they came round and gently (honestly!) removed the fraudulent tenant from my flat.

He didn't answer the door when we knocked so we let ourselves in. He'd popped out to the shop or something, but left his laptop open on the table, with his yahoo account open and all the emails from the people wanting to rent my flat!

We set about packing up his belongings into binbags. When he returned he was very surprised to have been rumbled (and very apologetic and pathetic). He left without a fight and didn't ask for any of his money back.

There had been numerous "viewings" over that weekend and indeed, I had to turn away half a dozen people myself that Monday afternoon.

Had I not been alerted that Monday morning, I would have undoubtedly ended up with many people trying to move in at the beginning of the following month. All of whom would have needed a place to stay when they discovered they had been scammed. The timing meant that any interested parties that agreed to take the flat over the viewing weekend, would have had to get to the bank to pay their rent deposits on the flat, for which they would have had to wait until the banks opened that morning.

So - I had to pay out for "security services" and new locks/keys but still ended up quids in. But I felt unhappy about the money (which will have been dishonestly obtained) so donated it to charity by way of concert tickets for charitable events (I felt better, the charities made money).

I tried, and tried, and tried to report this "crime" to anybody I could think of, but, because I wasn't actually defrauded personally, there was no actual crime. Staggering, huh?

So. There's my long way of telling you all my cautionary tale. Be wary of seemingly honest young men... :-(

By the way, he told me his name was Sumant Bhatta. I believe this to be his real name or close to it (he said his name was Sammy Bhut to the prospective tenant).

On further inspection, the "home" address he gave was for some business apartments in the midlands.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

That is an amazing story and such a lucky escape. Well done your neighbour for alerting you.
Big Sis..

Re: Outrageous scam resulting in eviction - lucky escape...

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ow gosh what a narrow escape......... and what a worry of how easy this could be done!!........

Thanks for the warning!!Ive also put a link to this on the Scam thread.

on Fake Britain yesterday they told tales of peoples houses being rented out while they were away[one chap had only gone to the shops] and they had real problems evicting the new illegal 'tenants' as theyd paid up in good faith, in the mean time the real tenants had to be rehoused :shock:

Ros
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Ingenious and very worrying, and presumably would've been successful had it not been for the agency board outside and the actions of the suspicious potential victim and your neighbour.

It's a cautionary tale, but what is staggering is the unwillingness, or inability (different of course) of the Law to pursue the fraudster. AFAIK there's a law in the UK that has something to do with "going equipped" to commit a crime - ie it's evidence of intention rather than actual deed. This guy seems to have been doing the equivalent of casing a joint whilst carrying ropes, lockpicks and ladders, wearing a mask and stripey jumper and carrying a bag marked "Swag". But he can get away with being rumbled, and try his luck elsewhere? Would you, as the owner, have been the one pursued by the irate victims? It could all have been extremely nasty for you - I'm glad it didn't turn out that way.

It sounds like a good story for the Sundays - seriously.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hi Lynne,
A lucky escape indeed. Your experience has scared the living daylights out of me, another thing to worry about!

I am so glad you were tipped off and managed to get the guy out.
Thanks for the warning
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

would google alerts have helped ?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Hi Apex - how would Google alerts have helped?
Lynne
and
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

OMG that is a very worrying tale - any property in a busy town could be an easy target. What a lucky escape!
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

You can set up a google alert once a day with name of apartment, road, post code and the alert will inform you of anything new on the web connected to it. We use it for comments on the holiday cottages.

Apex
who is now getting id and credit ref for lets longer than 3 weeks
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
revdev

Post by revdev »

A worrying story indeed.
To show what a crazy world we live in, if your "friends" had removed him with a size 10 boot up his backside, the law would have been there in minutes, probably on the side of Mr Scam! :roll:
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

apexblue wrote:You can set up a google alert once a day with name of apartment, road, post code and the alert will inform you of anything new on the web connected to it. We use it for comments on the holiday cottages.

Apex
who is now getting id and credit ref for lets longer than 3 weeks
Ah - now I see Apex. Although in this instance, there was no mention of anything that would have worked with a google alert. Just lots of my photos and a description. The address and specific location weren't mentioned.

But I like the idea of using the google alerts in the way you suggest *wanders off to set some up* :)
Lynne
and
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

revdev wrote:A worrying story indeed.
To show what a crazy world we live in, if your "friends" had removed him with a size 10 boot up his backside, the law would have been there in minutes, probably on the side of Mr Scam! :roll:
Indeed! Luckily, they knew what they were doing and knew not to touch him at all.
Lynne
and
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

It makesme wonder if there is a need now for a 'watchdog' type programme that focuses on scams of all sorts in all industries. Come to think of it I wonder if a programme like watchdog would be interested in this?
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
MichelleUK

Post by MichelleUK »

barbersdrove wrote:It makesme wonder if there is a need now for a 'watchdog' type programme that focuses on scams of all sorts in all industries. Come to think of it I wonder if a programme like watchdog would be interested in this?
There is one already called "Fake Britain" and they have covered this subject recently (see below - starts at 15.52 minutes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_6/

Scary stuff!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Yes thats the one I mentioned in my post, it was on the telly yesterday morning ,thanks for posting the link Michelle.