Should YHM be restricted in terms of total no of properties

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!

Should YHM be restricted in terms of total no of properties or quality of properties?

Yes restricted to LMH members only
41%
Yes restricted to properties that are recommended by LMH members only
47%
Restricted to a maximum no in a given geographical location
12%

Total votes: 17

marcus

Should YHM be restricted in terms of total no of properties

Post by marcus »

Can anyone join? Only LMH members at 1/1/06? will that make the site too restrictive?
Can properties be vetted in some way?
This is the place to discuss the scope of the project
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I would say a rating system would be impossible to implement.

How about a very short free trial period for LMHer's to get on board, then make it a paying site, the income from that should be ploughed back in to cover costs and advertising. As and when new LMHer's come along they could be offered free inclusion after they have made 50 or a 100 posts hence cutting out the freeloaders. I don't know but could this be automated by Paolo?
Cheers
PC
marcus

Post by marcus »

Paul,

I'm with you on this. I can't envisage a successful quality control system, and if we don't have one at all, why not let all and sundry in. Not everyone else agrees.

I'm all for 'nice properties only' but with the best will in the world LMH properties will not be a lot to choose from, on their own.

We could perhaps have some kind of rule that internal and external and pool photos must all be included - to stop people with above ground pools pretending they are in ground, that kind of thing.

Also clarity on actual no of beds / bedrooms for example, or floor area - sleeps 6, 1 bedroom, 50 square metres is unlikely to be unashamed luxury, as discussed in a thread earlier this year.

And all guests staying at properties could have a 'right to comment' - in confidence, not on the site - so that properties next to a rubbish dump, not cleaning the pool etc can be removed quickly (review by some kind of 'committee' of YHM people).

All just ideas.
Now, how to post another 50 entries in case I haven't met the threshold yet.

Marcus
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

They'd have to be "real" posts...
Best,
Alexia.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

alexia,

Yes they would. And after a short while the offending freeloader would stand out a mile, hence 50 or 100 posts.

This would not include new comers prior to going live.
Cheers
PC
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi All

Im not sure about this one it is very tough. The LMH properties would be good to get started with but if the sites starts hitting the top of search engines etc and people email and say I want to advertise with you, can you in all honesty say no sorry you can't? Then again if you let them advertise their property there will have to be stipulations that have to be met like say 2 bad revies of the property gets you barred from the site etc. But then again there are customers out there that will moan just for the sake of it so that wouldn't be fair on the property owner.

If we open the doors to all and sundry how much do you charge? what would be an acceptable price for advertising? There is so many questions but to make it a niche, restricted site I dont think would work as customers these days want choice.

Just my thoughts at the moment. Coming down with the flu so my head is hurting now. Will think more later.

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

We should not try to be custodians of taste.......one punters idea of luxury could be another's idea of hell........and we all know how picky a punter can be.
Cheers
PC
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Paul,
You seem to have a very bad nose cold -&, dear me, sore eyes? - get well soon.

I don't want to offend you, but do you think you could, personally, be a "custodian of taste"? (Perhaps we could have a sub-section where you are custodian of Very, Very Special Taste.)
Best,
Alexia.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Err alexia, sorry you have lost me......then again that's not hard.
Cheers
PC
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Well, that cleared up quickly, Paul - you're a different man now.
Best,
Alexia.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Well those 'in charge' can of course to use whatever criteria they wish but not everyone who values LMH as a site is necessarily a prolific poster. It depends if you want a site made up of 'loudest chicks' I suppose.

I've been a member for some time now but I generally only post if there's a question I can help with or something specific... a lot of threads are a quite a lot of fun to read and very witty, but generally consisting largely of banter. Nothing wrong with that of course, they make great reading and bring a smile to everyone's face, but if the amount of posts is to be used as a criteria for 'eligibility' to join a new site, it's going to be a bit unbalanced.

If the site is to be for people offering quality holiday homes, people who genuinely care about their guests, than that's the criteria that matters. And I would say that most people who are LMH members, joined for that reason; because they want to share experiences/ tips of how they can make their holiday home a great experience for their guests - as well, of course, as not going bankrupt in the process....

... just my humble opinion.... :wink:
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
gh

Post by gh »

...and mine also Knightowl.
Jo Tomkinson

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

I agree with Knightowl, too. I only post if I think I can help or have something worthwhile to contribute. Regarding people outside LMH, can we not deal with that at a later date as I think it's going to be a pretty big project just for the LMH members in the interim.

I think the future will depend on how well this goes, and more importantly if there is a willingness to take on a massive business which is what it could turn into, or keep it small.

Villarenters is a prime example - the guys who started it had holiday homes and wanted to be able to control their bookings etc more easily. It was relatively small when I first advertised with them and there weren't that many properties - now it is huge. Problems used to be sorted very quickly, whereas now its a massive business and the 'personal touch' has gone.

Jo
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

...err, what's YHM??

Sorry I've been out of circulation for a while.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Red, go to Rental listing sites bit, and then onto the post "I had a dream" and all will become clear
Cheers
PC