Bulk emailing

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I was chuffed with my 41%, but now I feeling a bit deflated LV. How did you do it?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

kendalcottages wrote:What I also find interesting is how we're all seemingly performing well above the supposed industry standard. Makes you wonder what everyone else is doing!!
I'd hazard a guess to say that we are the very personal end of the travel industry. Those that we have sent to have had direct contact with us. That is somewhat different to being targeted by a company that maybe you had dealings with years previously when researching for a holiday that you may never repeat for example?
wallypott wrote:I was chuffed with my 41%, but now I feeling a bit deflated LV. How did you do it?
I don't think anyone should be deflated, regardless of the differing percentages. I suspect the quantity of each database differs widely for starters and LV for example has a long standing customer base.

I'm just sad that I didn't wait until the New Year to do mine, as clearly you are getting a better uptake, due to everyone thinking about holidays. I have had my first enquiry though as a result (albeit they want both properties and only one is available for the relevant date!) so I'm hopeful I may yet get a booking.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Its probably a combination of me sending it only to previous guests and the fact I'm on site so have met all of them, Wally.
I don't log enquiries so have no easy way of extracting email addresses and names from Outlook or gmail. If I tried that I'm sure that the opening and click thru rates would have been much lower. But in the case of most guests I get to know them quite well during their stay so that is probably why they were more interested in the newsletter.
No one has unsubscribed, but one person I sent it to 'complained'. I don't think he enjoyed his holiday here very much!
Last edited by la vache! on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks LV that confirms what I thought. My database was made up of a greater proportion of enquirers than bookers.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

I'm following this with interest. I don't think a newsletter would be of use for us- as LV pointed out, she is on site and I think on-site owners would have more success with a newsletter due to the relationship built up with guests (even if it's just meet & greet). Have any off-site owners tried a newsletter?

I'm also unsure about sending to non-guests. I don't think I would like to get a newsletter from somewhere that I just made an enquiry. I know there's an "unsubscribe" option. I wouldn't be happy that they still had (and used) my email address. Is it just me?!
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

We're not on site (although usually not far away - but we don't normally meet the guests who stay) and I can think of at least a couple of others who have already posted in this thread who are also not on site.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It wouldn't worry me at all personally, so long as I am given an unsubscribe address that works.

I now have something at the bottom of my emails to tell potential guests that they may be contacted with a newsletter and an unsubscribe option. (BTW this also seems to be needed to comply with UK data protection)

I am off site and generally only have email contact with most of my guests, so very hands off. I'm sure it explains the difference, but I still believe there is merit to a newsletter even if off site. Have you had a look at Windy's version - a great example of how to make it newsy, about the area and reminders for important holiday dates etc.

I believe if it's well done (as they seem to be using the mailchimp software), then you have little to lose. I certainly need all the help I can get!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Maurmc wrote:I think on-site owners would have more success with a newsletter due to the relationship built up with guests
I agree with Nemo. We're not on site yet it's something I would contemplate doing for sure. It's a question of finding the time at the moment.

We do build up a relationship with a good proportion of our guests in fact. Not as in depth as that between on-site owners and (some of) their guests perhaps but a friendly one nevertheless - even with enquirers whom I have had to disappoint; there have been a couple who have booked and then had to cancel for legit reasons whom I would have no hesitation in contacting again too. So give it a whirl!

Nemo, tell me how you word your unsubscribe thingy at the foot of your emailed replies please? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Here you go GG; now I just have to add it to all my email templates! (It's on my job list to do along with tax returns :( )

"I occasionally send newsletters containing news and special offers by email. If you wish to opt out of such mailings then please click here Unsubscribe and request to be removed. You can be assured that your details are never given to a third party."

(Unsubscribe is linked to an email address obviously)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Nemo, that covers it nicely but ... (slight TC alert)
Nemo wrote:(Unsubscribe is linked to an email address obviously)
...what clever techie thing does one have to do to make the unsubscribe link to the email address "live". Or does it just happen by osmosis? :D :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

On site or off site, I'd have thought that one woudl send differently worded newsletter to previous guests and enquirers only.

AND in the latter case, its really a good idea to open the newsletter with some words to the effect...

"We're writing to you as someone who previously expressed an interest in renting our Mansion.... to unsubscribe...."
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

GG, I use PIMS and e-richard sent me this to insert into the html of the email. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing it. :wink:

Insert something like this (wherever I have put *, you want to remove them.... I had to do that to ensure you see the code, not the result of the code)

If you do not want me to email you, then <*a href="mailto:nemo@mymailaddress.com?subject=Unsubscribe me"*>Unsubscribe</a>

e-richard - if I'd had time and for future use, I would create different lists for past guests and enquirers. However, for my first letter, I felt just one would cover all, as I have a lot less email addresses then some here! My newsletter was not written as if it were a letter, more just a sharing of news and special offers.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Nemo wrote:
Have you had a look at Windy's version - a great example of how to make it newsy, about the area and reminders for important holiday dates etc.
I think Windy's version scared me a little :oops: - very impressive!
Nemo wrote:I believe if it's well done (as they seem to be using the mailchimp software), then you have little to lose. I certainly need all the help I can get!

Hard to argue with that!
Enquiries are quite slow, so I could do with a little help myself! I suppose I should give it a go.... I'm not going to compete with all you Heavy Hitters for % opened or click throughs.. (unless I'm winning, of course :wink: )
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

e-richard wrote:On site or off site, I'd have thought that one woudl send differently worded newsletter to previous guests and enquirers only.

AND in the latter case, its really a good idea to open the newsletter with some words to the effect...

"We're writing to you as someone who previously expressed an interest in renting our Mansion.... to unsubscribe...."
I must say I agree entirely with this Richard. I have sent only one Newsletter so far and it was to past guests only. I did try to make it quite 'personal', and got a 50% open rate, but a 0% click rate :cry: My Newsletter wasn't nearly as attractive as Windys version, too 'factual' I think, but I will learn and try to do better when I send my next Newsletter out.

That one will be to 'previous enquirers'. It will start off with something very similar (if not the same) as what Richard suggests above.
nemo wrote:It wouldn't worry me at all personally, so long as I am given an unsubscribe address that works
Ditto for me nemo. We will only be sending them the one email initially and if they choose not to receive any more - that's fine !

Edited for a typo (more haste = less speed :roll: )
Ray
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Holiday Ray wrote:I have sent only one Newsletter so far and it was to past guests only. I did try to make it quite 'personal', and got a 50% open rate, but a 0% click rate :cry: My Newsletter wasn't nearly as attractive as Windys version, too 'factual' I think, but I will learn and try to do better when I send my next Newsletter out.
Mine wasn't nearly as professional as Windy's, but I stuck loads of photos and loads of links to the cottages all over it so it was difficult not to click :wink: