Visit Britain 4 star holiday accommodation or not......

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Londoner

Visit Britain 4 star holiday accommodation or not......

Post by Londoner »

Just returned from Dorset. We stayed in a property we booked via an agency that had a Visit Britain 4 star rating. I did not do the booking ( two families went away together) but I did look at the pictures and facilities on the website before we booked and the words "excellent decor" were mentioned. It was an apartment is a converted manor house which looked idyllic.

When we arrived the place was a complete disaster, beds not made up , badly stained mattress, bathroom dirty, the accommodation was really damp with damp patches on the walls, carpets held down with gaffer tape, mismatching furniture (nothing like the pictures).
The second bedroom was in the attic and had a really steep staircase and no door to the bedroom. No stair gate provided and I was terrified my 3 year old would break her neck on the stairs.
Wi-Fi advertised but only available by default and was not available most of the time. I could go on but you get the picture.
I cut my holiday short by 3 days as I could not stand the place
I was wondering how often Visit Britain inspect properties, this particular property might have been 4 star twenty years ago.
The agency we booked through sent cleaners out but so far have not responded to my email about the state of the property, lack of wi-fi etc.

I want my money back, the place was a hovel but I feel the agency will not even respond to my emails.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Hi. What a disaster! Which agency was it so we can avoid it??
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

So sorry to hear.

Contact Visit Britain directly and voice your concerns.

A friend who was rated by Visit Wales had guests who complained to them because she allowed the decorators to paint outside whilst they were there and VB investigated immediately.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Hi Londoner

From what you describe, there's no way the property should have a current VB 4 star rating. Have a look at the current official standards documentation here and see what you think.

Have a look at the Visit England website and search for the property. If it's not on there, it may be that they are still claiming their rating but no longer have it - that's fraudulent trading, and the OFT will be interested to hear.

VB can be a toothless animal at times, but it's certainly worth contacting them direct, describing your experience and asking them to confirm that the property has a current rating. Some of us still pay a lot of money for a VB inspection and rating; this sort of thing renders it a meaningless waste.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Thank you Greenbarn, that document is invaluable. I had a quick read through and the property fails on so many points.
I will keep you informed
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I hope you get a result, Londoner. How often do VB visit once they have given the original rating?
I had to laugh that cobwebs are apparently OK for a 2 star award.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

la vache! wrote: How often do VB visit once they have given the original rating?
So far we've had a visit each year since we started 3 years ago, although a chat with one of the inspectors suggested that they recognised they'd been somewhat lax in the recent past and were trying to tighten up on frequency of visits, with annual as the target. Very difficult to see how they can possibly justify their annual charges without including a visit. Not that easy to see how they can justify their charges anyway.....
la vache! wrote: I had to laugh that cobwebs are apparently OK for a 2 star award.
We're 4 star Gold Award; we have to make sure there's no dust on the cobwebs..... :wink:
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

We're 4 star Gold Award; we have to make sure there's no dust on the cobwebs.....
We're 5 star Gold Award and we're being inspected next Friday. Oops, better start checking the cobweb situation!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nuthatch wrote:
We're 4 star Gold Award; we have to make sure there's no dust on the cobwebs.....
We're 5 star Gold Award and we're being inspected next Friday. Oops, better start checking the cobweb situation!
I believe you're required to paint the cobwebs.......... in co-ordinating colours.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well I have heard back from Visit England, the property was inspected "fairly recently" and is indeed 4 star. This has shocked me as I was 100% sure it was not.
I have to put my "concerns" in writing to them, not sure what happens after that. I suppose they contact the owner and ask them to clean up their act.

I have not had a response from the agency yet,I emailed them with a list of issues last Monday.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Update.. just had a response from the agency after 3 weeks!!
The response astonished me to say the least, they denied everything and said that they never had a problem before or since.
They offered no apology for the dirty sheets and said I should have made them aware of the problems whilst I was there, I DID!!!

I have swapped a couple of emails with them today but they are "agreeing to differ" with me.

If anyone is holidaying in Dorset and books via an agency, avoid this particular one.
PM me if you would like to know who they are.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It's not good is it! Yet another example of a bad name being given to the rental industry.

Is the agency just a "fee taker" ie just the bookings, or is it involved in management/cleaning? If it's just the booking then they won't have any involvement with how the owner looks after the place. However if they manage the place - then they should be named and shamed methinks!

How did you inform them at the time? Did you take any photos?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Friend has just returned from an appalling stay at a 4* in Wales. Cobwebs everywhere, hair blocking the plughole, no hot water, no lightbulb on the spiral staircase (a torch had been left), and constant reminders to clean up before they left. Admittedly it was a castle, but it's no excuse for things not being clean and comfortable. They left after one night, is it worth then even complaining?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

HelenB wrote: is it worth then even complaining?
Probably not, but there's a form here for the purpose.

It bugs me of course, as it debases our own rating. It's something I'm considering stirring up on the VB forum, without any identifiable references of course; there's now two examples is this same thread.

ps have they checked the Enjoy England website to see if the property does actually have a 4* listing? If it doesn't, they could also have a go at Trading Standards; maybe they should anyway.

Edited to add: Muppet that I am, I've just realised the property is in Wales, so it's probably a different website.